Stalling Mach 1 During Driving

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
mine use to do this exact same thing, i brought it in 2 times, and could not duplicate it the first time, but hte second time, they changed the TPS and havent had the problem again. and i think they changed the IAC as well.

that makes for a dangerious situation for sure, when it happened to me i was in 5th going around a corner on a country road, and pushed in the clutch, and hit the break to go to 4th and mine died, and i lost the power steering, and braks assist, i guess it was just a reaction to let out the clutch and start it, but wow, it scared me. hahaha

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
Black Mach 1 said:
It's the K&N FIPK and the fact that the screen is removed. The shaker causes air turbulence that the screen used to smooth out. Leave it in gear until you slow down under 35 MPH or put your screen in.

Yup, that screen is there to smooth out the flow of air going through the MAF. There is a sampling tube where some of the air goes through and passes through the heated fillament inside, which tells the ECM the ammount of air going into the engine. If absolutely necessary, you should take the screen out/put it back in very carefully, trying not to bend it. Bending any part of the screen will cause air flow turbulence, which will in turn affect the air flow going into the sampling tube. That causes the ECM to incorrectly calculate how much air the engine is actually getting, which means erratic idle rpm or, in this case, stalling. Cleaning the MAF is a good idea, especially after installing a new air filter such as a K&N, because the oil on the filter can get to the heated fillament in the MAF, which can also affect the readings going to the ECM.

Users who are viewing this thread