Start car without pushing clutch in ?

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
Well i'm sick of having to push in the clutch to start my car I'd like to be able to turn it on and off without getting in my car so does anyone know what it would take to make it so I didnt have to push the clutch in ?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Actually i remember Honda's used to do that.
Just had to make sure u werent in gear & u can start the car.

I dont think u can do that with our cars....but would u really want to do that?

What if u forgot one night & just left it in 1st? U push that button & u hear some crazy noice coming out of the garage :eek:

Sorry i can understand wanting if for the winter & the sections of the country that see snow in winter.

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
It wouldnt matter i never leave it in gear and all it would do is try to jump forward I"ve done this in other manuals. And what is winter I live in texas

jonas

Established Member
find the clutch in switch/sensor and complete the circut. Gotta do some homework but its duable. I wouldnt do it personally. You need your foot on the clutch before you move anyways right?

KDog

Established Member
I saw a link to this posted somewhere. It involves placing a fuse in a certain location, after bending the tips of the prongs. I'll see if I can dig it up. I think there's an after-market module out there too.

Cobra'03

Established Member
well, it might marginally extend TOB life, but a car with the troque of the Cobra would make for a pretty strong lurch if you forget to make sure it was in neutral.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had asked a friend once about installing a remote starter in my Z-28 (6-speed). He said it couldn't be done. Reading this thread it seems that there is a way to do it, but......I don't think I'd want to risk putting my Cobra through my garage wall.
:lol1:

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
I've seen it done too, mostly on the t-5 and tremec trannies, so I couldn't imagine that this could be much different. It's some sort of switch that's built in and you have to bypass it.

j card

Established Member
I did it (remote start) on my 91LX50 - I used microswitches on the shifter base that tripped either the front or rear switch if it was in gear - preventing the start function in case I left it in gear. Just about anything can be done if you want to bad enough.

slalomdude

Established Member
Iam originally from the uk, where 99% of all cars have manual transmissions and never do you have to push in the clutch to start the cars. First time I jumped into a manual over here , I couldnt figure out why it wouldn't start. The salesguy must have thought I was a complete dick !!

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I've wanted to do this, not for the remote starter, but as another type of safety feature.

Worst cast scenario: what happens if you're stalled in the middle of a traffic lane, on the highway, at night, and you need to get the car off the road pronto without exposing yourself to danger? Simple, keep the clutch out and engage the starter to move the car off the side of the road. The starter is a powerful electric motor and in first gear is able to move the entire vehicle for a few feet.

I used it plenty of times in my other cars, but never the Mustangs. I've always wanted to jumper the switch but just never have gotten a round tuit.

jeffsavage

Established Member
Originally posted by redaddiction
Well i'm sick of having to push in the clutch to start my car I'd like to be able to turn it on and off without getting in my car so does anyone know what it would take to make it so I didnt have to push the clutch in ?

That's great until you start it in gear and hit another car, your garage wall, etc.

It happened to me a couple years ago. Was totally tired, went and got into my VW GTI which I had parked right outside the garage door (Lightning was in the garage). Since I was still half asleep I didn't notice car was in first. Turned the key... POW! goes the car, when it jumped into frame of garage door and wrecked front bumper. $200 bill for that one.

I am glad the Cobra has a safety device that makes us push in the clutch. But if you can disable it more power to ya, just be darn careful!

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
ttt does anyone have any idea on how to do this ? I never leave my car in gear so I'm not worried about that so where are the electrical guru's

Users who are viewing this thread