Starting a business

Twisted2v

Established Member
I talked to my mom about Facebook offering business grants during covid, however I wouldn’t be able to apply since I did not meet the race/gender requirements:

-Any female
-Anyone non-white

My mom offered to start the business in her name. This would open up the world of grants for women owned businesses. I’m seriously considering.

What do you guys think?

Fat Boss

Established Member
What type of business?

IMO, it's a decent time to start a business. You know how good or bad each market is compared to someone who started one a year ago.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Your mother must be active in the company (I believe there are a few standards by which this can be judged) otherwise every benefit/dollar received under the woman owned label is fraud

Blown 89

Established Member
Find a broker and buy an already established business. Let someone else take the risk.

tistan

Established Member
I know a lot of people who partner with a woman or minority for the benefits, especially when it comes to government contracts. The way I feel about it is that in America, where we are supposed to have equality, why are white men being discriminated against? How is it fair for me as a white male to financially compete against a company that can price with government subsidies? Chances of you getting caught are slim as there really is no one coming to your company to check. My wife is my business partner. Gotta do what you gotta do.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I know a lot of people who partner with a woman or minority for the benefits, especially when it comes to government contracts. The way I feel about it is that in America, where we are supposed to have equality, why are white men being discriminated against? How is it fair for me as a white male to financially compete against a company that can price with government subsidies? Chances of you getting caught are slim as there really is no one coming to your company to check. My wife is my business partner. Gotta do what you gotta do.

they uncovered a bunch of that crap when building the new stadium here, I don't think there were a whole lot of consequences though. For example a local plumber owned by a female minority would bid on the job (x% required to go to local small, minority businesses etc...) then said plumber "subcontracted" giant national plumbing company to fulfill the contract

tistan

Established Member
they uncovered a bunch of that crap when building the new stadium here, I don't think there were a whole lot of consequences though. For example a local plumber owned by a female minority would bid on the job (x% required to go to local small, minority businesses etc...) then said plumber "subcontracted" giant national plumbing company to fulfill the contract
The problem is the government is setting up rules that completely shutout white male businesses. I don't feel like anyone is doing something wrong to bend the rules to allow their business to compete and survive. It is bullshit that the contract isn't awarded to the most capable company. These rules are a contributing factor to why most large projects fall behind schedule.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The problem is the government is setting up rules that completely shutout white male businesses. I don't feel like anyone is doing something wrong to bend the rules to allow their business to compete and survive. It is bullshit that the contract isn't awarded to the most capable company. These rules are a contributing factor to why most large projects fall behind schedule.

Im not saying I dont agree with the level playing field part but I damn sure wouldn't be posting about how Im getting around it on the internet. The cost to benefit ratio of it possibly coming out is something you have to work out.

tistan

Established Member
Im not saying I dont agree with the level playing field part but I damn sure wouldn't be posting about how Im getting around it on the internet. The cost to benefit ratio of it possibly coming out is something you have to work out.

There isn't anyone searching to find out if female owned mom and pop shop took some government program to open up shop. If you are a multi-million dollar business, and you open up a new female partner run company doing the same business but going after large government contracts, you may get looked into. If your building a company from the ground up, who is to say that the female didn't take a step back in her role after the first year?

Last edited:

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Just have mom involved. Doesn’t have to be a lot. Make her president or something. Have her sign the checks. You can make most of the decisions. Think of it this way - not all business owners are necessarily involved in the day to day operations. Don’t push your luck and you’ll be fine.

coposrv

Established Member
I talked to my mom about Facebook offering business grants during covid, however I wouldn’t be able to apply since I did not meet the race/gender requirements:

-Any female
-Anyone non-white

My mom offered to start the business in her name. This would open up the world of grants for women owned businesses. I’m seriously considering.

What do you guys think?

We’re thinking the same thing with my wife in the drivers seat. A lot of grants are available to women owned businesses especially in the skilled trades.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
This isn't uncommon.

It's probably the media who is pushing it as a bad thing. There aren't a ton of smaller companies that have the man power to get projects like that completed in a timely fashion. It's completed expected that a lot of it will be subbed out.

The minority/female owned businesses generally will do the administration work on stuff like that will gives them money, so the governments are generally ok with it.

I have a buddy who works for a trade company that's partially owned by a female, it helps them win a lot of bids, and they are pretty decent sized. If they didn't sub out work to other places they would never get projects completed.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It's probably the media who is pushing it as a bad thing. There aren't a ton of smaller companies that have the man power to get projects like that completed in a timely fashion. It's completed expected that a lot of it will be subbed out.

I guess I should have been more specific - they found paperwork where national plumbing company approached small company, said hey - bid this at this price then hire us to do it - your cut for the paperwork is $xxxxx

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We bid on some of the heavy electrical infrastructure for the O'Hare airport upgrade. Well, we bid to a minority owned company. They marked our bid up (25%) and passed it through. This minority owned shell company offered no value-add to this deal, only mark-up. So figure roughly 25% of the cost of project is absorbed as margin to similar situations. It's the only way you can get contracts with the city.

Are we diverse yet?

Twisted2v

Established Member
We bid on some of the heavy electrical infrastructure for the O'Hare airport upgrade. Well, we bid to a minority owned company. They marked our bid up (25%) and passed it through. This minority owned shell company offered no value-add to this deal, only mark-up. So figure roughly 25% of the cost of project is absorbed as margin to similar situations. It's the only way you can get contracts with the city.

Are we diverse yet?

Does the shell company take on any liability?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Does the shell company take on any liability?

Id have to imagine with a real good contract the shell company is able to put damned near all the liability onto the sub (or even if the job site went after the shell, the sub is ultimately paying for it)

Twisted2v

Established Member
Damn, I have some black friends, we’ll have to look into starting a shell company, even though it’s stupidly unfair.

Users who are viewing this thread