Steeda Catback = OMFG!

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Finally got the Steeda catback installed. Got it for $533 shipped. Installed it today, and I'm in disbelief. It is exactly what I wanted. The sound is so brutal and deep.

It is almost quieter than stock at idle, but has a really nice V8 burble to it. Then up at 1750 rpm, there is a slight drone but just barely worse than stock. But when you get on the gas, its like unleashing hell and all its demons. This catback totally transforms itself from a gentle, deep gurgling dream, to a wet dream of screams and roars that I couldn't believe was the same catback as it sounds to be at idle and gentle cruise.

I can still cruise around with my stereo at the same volume it was with the stock catback, and it doesn't disturb me at all, but if I romp the pedal, it drowns out the Mach 1000 stereo system like it was nothing, with the windows down. With the windows up, I can still hear it, but it doesn't overpower the music.

Its just perfect, and sounds so sweet. Mellow and deep when you want it to be, and enraged, and viscious when you want it to be.:rockon:

Last edited:

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
They are a muffler made by borla, but created to Steeda's specs. I do not know anything more than that about them. They have a very nice STEEDA logo embossed into them, though.

I'm not sure if Steeda sells just the mufflers or not.

This system is much quieter at idle, and a little quieter at cruise speed than a flowmaster. probably the same volume at WOT. Maybe a little louder. Its hard to tell from inside the car.

Last edited:

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
but if I romp the pedal, it drowns out the Mach 1000 stereo system like it was nothing

Did you add the mach 1000? I have the regular mach 460 stereo.

Sounds like a good catback, congrats.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Cool, gald you like it! Good thing you didn't go with a Bassani or Borla or something different then because by far that Steeda is one of the quietest ones on the market!

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
yea, I did not want an exhaust that would overpower my stereo with the windows up. I've heard everyone say its the quietest on the market, but I dont think that's accurate after hearing it in person. I dont think its much quieter than the stingers on Fang's cobra. Just a different, "mellower" sound. It doesn't have the high pitched "ear-hurting" sounds that are in the bassani or the borla stingers so it may seem quieter.:shrug: Its a much deeper pitch than any of the exhaust notes I heard at our get together at Kevin's house.

Its loud enough to overpower my stereo entirely at half volume, and the mach 1000 is DAMN loud at half volume. Like...ear-bleeding loud.

I can definitely say its a hell of a lot louder than stock. Hehe.

Last edited:

Neoclasiccl

Established Member
I had the Steeda kit on my 2002GT and it was a very sweet sound. I eventually got used to it and wanted something louder and went with the magnapacks.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Well, go to a dyno with several different 03's there with different exhaust setups and you'll see...lol! Last time we went to MAC's 2 of us had different setups and Jerry had the Steeda. Sounded QUIET in comparison...lol. Not saying it is a bad thing! I am actually considering a big 3 inch exhaust with some real mufflers to quiet mine down, attracts too much attention..lol!

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Originally posted by MystiChrome Coupe
Did you add the mach 1000? I have the regular mach 460 stereo.

Sounds like a good catback, congrats.

Yes, I added the Mach 1000 stereo.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Originally posted by sambandit
Well, go to a dyno with several different 03's there with different exhaust setups and you'll see...lol! Last time we went to MAC's 2 of us had different setups and Jerry had the Steeda. Sounded QUIET in comparison...lol. Not saying it is a bad thing! I am actually considering a big 3 inch exhaust with some real mufflers to quiet mine down, attracts too much attention..lol!

Yea, I haven't been inside a car with any other exhaust system, or heard this from outside the car next to other systems, so you would know better than I. If the others are louder than this, I'd feel way to conspicuous driving it around. As it was, people were giving me a dirty look all day long when I'd romp the throttle.

It sounds DAMN loud from inside the car with the windows down, but I'll have to hear it from outside the car. Like I said, its quieter than stock at idle for sure.

This catback has made this car even MORE addictive to drive than it already was. And its surely not gonna help my gas mileage any now that I wanna goose the pedal every 30 seconds to hear the roar.

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
When are you gonna bring that thing to Bandimere? It's a helluva good time! I'll keep you posted on when we go next if you are interested.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Well that's it!!!!!
You just helped me finally make up my mind....
After last nights cruise and all the "wow that's really quite" comments.......
And then when the .......wife...... says "how come ours is so much quieter" you know it's time!
Even some "victims" commented... likewise(in between color compliments)

It will be Steeda for me also:thumbsup: :coolman: :rockon:

I thought the hybrid factor involved Bassani??... is it Borla?
Jimmy:thumbsup:

PS I hope it's ok that I borrowed some of your sun shots(glam) for my photo album at Photobucket.com..... I wanted my family back in Syracuse to be able to really see the colors.... and so far your's are the BEST:rockon: :rockon:

Last edited:

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
NO problem at all. Use any of my pics you would like.

Yea, I couldn't be happier with this exhaust. It's exactly what I was hoping it would be from the descriptions. I had heard all the others in person before, and really liked the Borla Stingers sound. These sound similar but with less treble and more bass. Its a great sound.

ilumo

Master of going off topic
Established Member
The stingers have treble? wow.. I have the stingers and dont have any treble... its like a MELLOW roar... I love it. do you have any clips of the steeda?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by AtomHeart
Finally got the Steeda catback installed. Got it for $533 shipped. Installed it today, and I'm in disbelief. It is exactly what I wanted. The sound is so brutal and deep.

It is almost quieter than stock at idle, but has a really nice V8 burble to it. Then up at 1750 rpm, there is a slight drone but just barely worse than stock. But when you get on the gas, its like unleashing hell and all its demons. This catback totally transforms itself from a gentle, deep gurgling dream, to a wet dream of screams and roars that I couldn't believe was the same catback as it sounds to be at idle and gentle cruise.

I can still cruise around with my stereo at the same volume it was with the stock catback, and it doesn't disturb me at all, but if I romp the pedal, it drowns out the Mach 1000 stereo system like it was nothing, with the windows down. With the windows up, I can still hear it, but it doesn't overpower the music.

Its just perfect, and sounds so sweet. Mellow and deep when you want it to be, and enraged, and viscious when you want it to be.:rockon:
Ain't it great? I tried a Magnaflow first but wasn't crazy about the sound. I asked around a lot before deciding to try the Steeda catback. I was VERY happy and love it almost a year later. Just the right loudness and tone for me. Enjoy!

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Originally posted by ilumo
The stingers have treble? wow.. I have the stingers and dont have any treble... its like a MELLOW roar... I love it. do you have any clips of the steeda?

I'm not talking about high pitched notes. I'm talking about high pitched tone.

For example...take a bass guitar, and turn the tone knob all the way to treble. Pluck the string. You hear a very deep note, but it has treble tone...it "rings".

Now turn the knob all the way to bass, and pluck the same note. The tone doesn't ring now, it sounds "muffled". It is just as loud, but sounds like its coming from underneath a big pile of cotton batting or something. All the "ring" is gone.

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I've got the Steeda's with the stock H. It's a not a loud cat-back inside the car, and doesn't have much if any drone. It is quite a bit louder from the outside and sounds awsome under the overpasses. What amazed me about the Steeda's was the super low bass note they put out. There is a burble on decel that also sounds great. Your right, the stereo has no problem competing with them. I have noticed alot more people looking and alot more people wanting to run after the install. If your looking for an exhaust setup that doesn't drone, sounds mean and is about twice as loud as stock with a very deep rumble this is it. Trust me, if your reluctant about Stingers and the like because you think they might be too loud, buy the Steeda, I'm glad I did! Thanks again Bob!

Oh, you can see a rear end shot of the tips on my website.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread