Steggy Stage 4 w/ 2.65 upper - Re-tune or scrap?

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
I purchased my 10th last summer from Cali and now I'm doing a few things to it. First off, I changed the exhaust from a Bassani Catted X to a UPR O/R X and the catback from Bassani to Borla Stingers. The car is currently tuned for 91, so I scheduled a new tune with Cincy Speed this Friday for 93. The date isn't confirmed yet, but Friday looks to be the day. I just bought a JLT RAI to slap on with my new NGK TR7ix plugs (car has NGK TR6, poopy idle...).

Anyway, to the point: I'm really hoping to hit at least 500/500 with the new 93 tune, what do you guys think? Is this feasible? Car has all the correct fuel mods and made 480/480 on 91 (will 93 really make a difference?) before the previous owner added a Posi ported TB. I've since added the stuff I listed above.

Should I not waste my time with the 2.65 and go with a 2.93/4# combo, or go for it and get the re-tune? I'm not only getting it re-tuned for power, but efficiency. I would think the car needs to be re-tuned for 93, regardless. Thoughts?

Any input is greatly appreciated. :rockon:

SVTDice

Established Member
Depends how aggressive you decide to make the tune. And who does it, 93 will make a difference. However You could keep the 2.65 and throw on a 4lb. Seems a little extreme but there are people out there doing it. Quite a few people love it infact. Plus you will head strait over your 500 Hp goal. And then some.

But yes, If you want the most from the added mods and change to 93. I would have it retuned. Hope this helps if you have any more questions, Just ask man. Nice car by the way!

Last edited:

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
Depends how aggressive you decide to make the tune. And who does it, 93 will make a difference. However You could keep the 2.65 and throw on a 4lb. Seems a little extreme but there are people out there doing it. Quite a few people love it infact. Plus you will head strait over your 500 Hp goal. And then some.

But yes, If you want the most from the added mods and change to 93. I would have it retuned. Hope this helps if you have any more questions, Just ask man. Nice car by the way!

Thanks a lot for your help and I appreciate the compliment! I'm diggin' your Redfire as well. Wouldn't a 2.65 with a 4# being a little too much? Seems like it would have some major heat coming off an already ridiculously hot blower.

What about a 2# lower?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I can tell you from running a 2.76/4#lower/port that you'll want as much belt wrap as you can get. My combo showed 18-19psi and ran like a raped ape but every now and then I'd get belt slip and that got frustrating.

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
I can tell you from running a 2.76/4#lower/port that you'll want as much belt wrap as you can get. My combo showed 18-19psi and ran like a raped ape but every now and then I'd get belt slip and that got frustrating.

What size and brand belt do you recommend?

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
I have tried a couple different pulley set ups on 2 different cobras that I have owned. I was about to do a 2.76 upper and a 4# lower with a posi port but ended up going TS instead but I think that for a street driven cobra with a port a 2.8 upper and 4# lower is as aggressive as I would get. I was going try to go more aggressive with my set up because my car is not a DD. Belt slip and heat soak can turn a beast of a car into a car that feels like a POS in a heartbeat but thats just my experience...

cobracide

Established Member
2.9x / 4# is a great street combo, 2.76/4# is probably too much. Look for about 16-17# for optimal hp. You will get more torque but probably no more hp going with a 2.76 instead of a 2.9x with the 4# lower. The torque/hp peak will move down the rpm range with the 2.76. If you are going to the track, the 2.76 may be a better choice.

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
If I were to do it again I'd go 2.90/6#/ for the increased belt wrap. These things run so damn good on a ported Eaton, especially if its a daily driver. I loved pulling away from folks on the highway in 6th like they were standing still. If I dropped it to 3rd I'd smoke the hides at 70. All that low end torque is tits for a daily driver. Very fun combo. Dont be afraid of folks talking about the blower rpms and such if this is for a daily driver. You are in the upper rpms for so little time its not an issue butyou're always in the lower rpms which is where all that crazy torque can be had from a big boost Eaton.
Dont get me started on the same setup with spray!
As for the belt length, I think it was the same as stock if you have all the idlers. Theres a pulley/belt chart on this website somewhere. Search feature is our friend. :beer:

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
Lol I think this thread has complicated my decision more than helping to conclude it. Lots of good info and opinions. I'm leaning towards the 2.93 upper and 4# lower. Maybe a 6# (what's the hp diff?).

Would I need a new hub since I have the RR 2.65, or will it work with Billetflow so I can just get a new ring? Thanks again for all of the insight.

cobracide

Established Member
HP difference, not much. A more heat (iat2s), 10-40lbs torque. It's so close on different cars you should try both if you can.

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
HP difference, not much. A more heat (iat2s), 10-40lbs torque. It's so close on different cars you should try both if you can.

Yeah. Torque would be the difference maker.

I hit the numbers in sig with the 2.65 on a stage 4, you should hit it.

I remember messaging you when I was first contemplating my options lol. Your numbers are great and I'd be satisfied. I'd be pissed if I went with a lower and only made 15-20 more torque... That's $400 bucks down the drain.

leftysmoke

SNK B1TE
Established Member
Anymore opinions? Is it really worth switching my 2.65 to the 2.93/4# combo? I don't want to spend $500 bucks for 20 extra torque lol...

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Not sure what you're looking for but my setup lasted for over 45k miles on the 2.76/4/port. I'd do it again in a heart beat but with better belt wrap. 2.76/4 is not too much. I'd go 2.93/6 this time if I were to do it again. I'd also do the spray again but have a better clutch.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Established Member
I am going with 2.8/4lb getting retuned here in a couple of weeks or so, trying to hit 510/530, but we will see what happens. 4lb is where its at you wont be disappointed.

SVTDice

Established Member
Yeah, Belt slip is a pain. So is "Heat soak" However if you keep it nice and tight, and have good enough cooling and it looks like you do 2.65 and a 4lb "could" Work great for you. Depends on what you plan on using it. Track? DD? I honestly would not spend the extra money on another upper. But thats just me, I'd try out the 2.65 and the 4lb. Its what I plan on doing after E85 and some other Misc stuff. Anyways, You may want to check out this thread. 96stangGt has some experience with this setup, From the looks of it. Thanks for the compliment by the way man!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/508841-hp-numbers-2-65-4lb.html

Users who are viewing this thread