Still fighting overheating

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Since I purchased this car, I've fought over heating.

The culprit has to be the intercooler blocking air flow to the radiator.

Fans are set to come on sooner, fluidyne radiator, lower temp thermostat. Coolant additive.

Not sure what else to try.

Would a cowl hood help?
Ideas on alternative intercooler mounting?

The car is basically useless on these 95+ degree days. Looking for any ideas to alleviate this problem

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
what temps are you seeing?

Im assuming you have a 2 speed electric fan, are you sure the high speed leg of the fan is working properly?

I was having issues with my procharged Mach in this heat as well and found a number of things I needed to correct, havent been able to test it again yet. Talking to my tuner its apparently a common problem you somehow don't hear about much. The aftermarket radiator doesnt do much without improved airflow, it just takes longer for the circuit heat soak and then over heat

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
It's getting up to 230, though I've seen it higher. Even cruising the highway at 70 the temps creep up.

It is a 2 speed fan, as to if it's working on the high or low setting, I'm not sure. How would I check that?

If it's still rising at cruising speed wouldn't it be an airflow issue vs the fan? I was under the impression the fan was more for traffic or idling scenarios.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I can't remember off hand at what mph the fans turn off, like 40-45 comes to mind but could be completely wrong.

If you know your fan speed turn on temps just let the car idle (ac off) it should kick the low speed on then at the high speed temp kick up. It's a pretty decent change in noise and flow.

I dunno what to say if it's getting hot at cruising speed if you're talking 50+ mph.

1998SVTCOBRA

With all due respect...
Established Member
Sounds like air flow at that point, like you are thinking. Can you post a pic of what your intercooler / radiator set up looks like?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Im not sure how much it helps but did these cars have the little plastic lip that uses push pins to install under the radiator support? Its my understanding it creates a negative pressure area that helps pull more air through the radiator

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Im not sure how much it helps but did these cars have the little plastic lip that uses push pins to install under the radiator support? Its my understanding it creates a negative pressure area that helps pull more air through the radiator
Guy at work has been telling me to install one. Working at a body shop shouldn't take much to grab one that's being trashed and cut to fit.

I'll post pics in a few

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
replace the intercooler with a straight pipe and retest. obviously, do not run it hard at all. if its creeping at idle now, a straight pipe instead of an intercooler wont matter on that side of the engine and you should see more air flow.

do you have the small vortech cooler? perhaps try stuffing in the largest 2 row intercooler you can find. that should free up airflow and keep everything cooler.

if you have a large aftermarket cooler already, try using foam strips to seal the intercooler to the radiator. that should straighten out the airflow.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you have a large aftermarket cooler already, try using foam strips to seal the intercooler to the radiator. that should straighten out the airflow.

what kinda foam strips are you talking about? daming up around my radiator and intercooler are on the to-do list

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I have cound , a lower temp. thermostate does not make the engine run cooler.
The longer the coolant stayes in the radiator, the better it disapates the heat .

If the coolant flows too fast, less oportunity for the airflow to cool it.

If you are using a mechanical temperature gauge, not tbe factory , i would get another one , to check the acuracy.

As you stated, the fans are for slow speed driving, traffic and such.
If you have temps, creeping on the highway , i believe you do have an airflow problem.
The factory flap, under the car is important in cooling, often missing .
The foam is part of the factory design, to ensure airflow is directed thru tbe radiator, not around it .
Make sure there is a good seal from the core support , to the radiator.
Also the fan shroud on my 01 has the same foam perimeter .
Good luck, and keep it simple while troubleshooting.
One step at a time , and check for results with each .

Ryan Mayes

Mine was over heating like that and it ended up being that the fan only had one speed. I let the car run for a few min and then tuned on the ac and could tell that it only had one speed. I replaced the fan and it fixed my over heating problem along with burping the system. I hope this helps, if not...Sorry for wasting your time. I am fighting issues with my Cobra right now myself...I wish it was as simple as a over heating issue. Good luck!

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Does the car have a/c still? I'd be curious about the condition of the condenser and that restricting air flow more than anything else.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Sorry for the delay. Yes the car has A/C. No foam between any of the cooling components.
As far as the type of intercooler, no idea. Here is a basic pic
5aa0c38e95387a42cd92383d35a63207.jpg

The straight pipe doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'm going to seal everything off, install a lower air dam and see what that does.

I think I do have another gauge too.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would verify your e-fan situation first personally.

My tuner said he has seen multiple times where an owner puts a single speed V6 fan in then sells the car so if you havent always owned the car its possible it has the wrong damn fan in it.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I would verify your e-fan situation first personally.

My tuner said he has seen multiple times where an owner puts a single speed V6 fan in then sells the car so if you havent always owned the car its possible it has the wrong damn fan in it.
That wouldn't explain the overheating at higher speeds though would it?

cbrown9064

Established Member
Way, a Paxton intercooler. Nice! I have one also.

My car gets close to overheating with the AC on, OK, with it off. From a bunch of research, it appears that we will have to weld some mounts for a air deflector (that hangs down) to the front of the intercooler. The core support is not a feasible location to mount a deflector anymore, as the intercooler hangs down lower than the core support.

My instinct is telling me that the air is pushing under the car, instead of through the intercooler/condenser,/radiator. Am going to have my aluminum welder tackle the mounting bosses, and then find some material to make the deflector out of.

Will report back.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Way, a Paxton intercooler. Nice! I have one also.

My car gets close to overheating with the AC on, OK, with it off. From a bunch of research, it appears that we will have to weld some mounts for a air deflector (that hangs down) to the front of the intercooler. The core support is not a feasible location to mount a deflector anymore, as the intercooler hangs down lower than the core support.

My instinct is telling me that the air is pushing under the car, instead of through the intercooler/condenser,/radiator. Am going to have my aluminum welder tackle the mounting bosses, and then find some material to make the deflector out of.

Will report back.
I think that's my route. My main bodyman gets back in town next week. So I'll have him look at it and see what he can fab up. Between all the front end hits and totals we have, something will work out.

It doesn't over heat idling, just when cruising. So between the foam and the deflector, that should be a good start. I'm on the cusp of tossing a YSI trim in but need to get this figured out before hand. The car basically just sits in the shop unless I take it out at night during the weekend. Kinda useless.

Users who are viewing this thread