Still fighting overheating

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont recall if its here or on Mod Fords but Ive seen a thread where guys were making bigger than factory air dams for the underside from something out of the garden/irrigation section at your local home improvement place.

probably way cheaper. I think All they had to do was trimming to size and drill some holes for the push pins

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
any closed cell foam should be ok. make sure its closed cell foam, open cell will hold water and deteriorate much faster.

also, if it doesnt overheat at idle then the fan is ok. your intercooler looks like its mounted a little lower than others ive seen. it should fit flush as possible to the radiator and have foam strips on either side. if its mounted lower to clear the crash support then thats probably why youre seeing higher temps when driving. the i/c is disrupting airflow.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
2efc44d7081aaa2c8a3f6d5c1cc2d1ef.jpg

Prototype air dam lol. Going to see how it does tonight on the way home if the rain holds off.

mystic1287

Established Member
So, I too have heating issues- 1996 Mystic Cobra. The PO installed BBK underdrives, a Howe Racing 4 row aluminum radiator and removed the single 19" fan for a SPAL Italy dual 11" fan setup. In the desert, heat is our enemy. So, off went the underdrives and I hit 229 today in stop-n-go traffic, 201-208 on the freeway at 110 degrees. System was double flushed 6 months ago and I use the Torque app with the ODBC-BT Adapter. Not sure if it reads the fan temp sensor of the other. I did find that there are 2 air diffusers unique to the Cobras but they would only work at high speed. I've checked the seal around the radiator and it all looks good. Hoping it works for you, I'm debating high-flow thermostat and checking the harness to the fans; both have the 2 hot wires crimped into the one, fans are 2 speed...

fastferndog

Established Member
There is a TSB from ford regarding the overheating. I don't know the number but, you're supposed to replace the AC condenser. The reason is not enough airflow thru it. Maximum Motorsports had this issue with their shop car and after replacing it, problem solved. Try doing a research on the TSB, maybe you can find it. Good luck.

mystic1287

Established Member
TSB- 96 Cobra...

There is a TSB from ford regarding the overheating. I don't know the number but, you're supposed to replace the AC condenser. The reason is not enough airflow thru it. Maximum Motorsports had this issue with their shop car and after replacing it, problem solved. Try doing a research on the TSB, maybe you can find it. Good luck.

Thanks FastFernDog; So I found the TSB and guess what? SVT said they couldn't do a thing other than sell me the correct condenser. Here's the kicker- the car was originally sold at Bell Ford in Phoenix; after that it went to auction and landed in Tucson...so, contacting my pal at a local Ford dealer- he's the Shelby King Salesman of the west coast...also talking to LMR about Item #LRS-19712C; lower fin count I think...went thru the same crap with the wifey's Sentra- no official recall, just a TSB. Fought with Nissan and got a new tranny, transaxle and they mounted an external cooler...because of our heat...should have done it first go-around....

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ya, sucks its not covered but should be a relatively quick and easy fix, hopefully itll help a bunch

fastferndog

Established Member
Thanks FastFernDog; So I found the TSB and guess what? SVT said they couldn't do a thing other than sell me the correct condenser. Here's the kicker- the car was originally sold at Bell Ford in Phoenix; after that it went to auction and landed in Tucson...so, contacting my pal at a local Ford dealer- he's the Shelby King Salesman of the west coast...also talking to LMR about Item #LRS-19712C; lower fin count I think...went thru the same crap with the wifey's Sentra- no official recall, just a TSB. Fought with Nissan and got a new tranny, transaxle and they mounted an external cooler...because of our heat...should have done it first go-around....

Yeah, TSB's are not done unless problem is there, otherwise all the cars would be at the dealer, regardless of make and model. The reason is that only a few will have these issues while others will never have that problem. In my experience I've seen 2 94 5.0L mustangs (to be specific), that experience overheating but can't find the problem. One even got a whole new engine, radiator, condenser, fan, computer and temp sensor...etc. and it still runs HOT. Eventually I will get time to work on it and figure it out, but that's another engine type from yours. What I'm trying to say is that just because I've seen 2 cars with the same issue, does not mean that all the 94's should have the same fix since they are not experiencing the concern. I really hope that the new condenser will fix your car. Please let us know if it does.

FFD

mystic1287

Established Member
Thanks FFD, sent a lengthy email to LMR, although they couldn't get the right speedo gear for me....PO swapped out the 327s for 355s- Mystics only. So, after 20 mins on the horn, I get the 19 tooth pink...low and behold, that's what was in there. Called AM- 20 tooth black is what I needed so hoping the condenser documentation with the TSB and all the 411 from y'all fine folks will get me the right one. The PO was on the right track, fancy rad, dual 11" fans...next will be relocating my CAI and MAF from PRO-M into the fenderwell....

SR

Users who are viewing this thread