"stock" C6Z06 vs 09 GT500

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
The majority of street cars that attempt to bait me into running them on the highway are Mustang owners...mostly Cobra and new 5.0 Coyote owners. :)

I'm told by many of them that they use the stock C6 Z06 as the benchmark for gauging how fast their cars are.

paluka21

Established Member
Why race a car not in your class?

A Vette is a two seat Fiberglass Sports Car, a GT500 is a Steel Muscle Car, very tough to compete against true sportscars.

Actually, it's really not tough to compete in a straight line with a corvette, and that is what this threads about. Yes there are very apparent differences between the two cars, however there are plenty of 10, 9, and 8 second mustangs out there which would embarrass a run of the mill corvette. Same can be said about modified corvettes embarrassing Vipers, or Mustangs, or Porsche, or...whatever.

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
Actually, it's really not tough to compete in a straight line with a corvette, and that is what this threads about. Yes there are very apparent differences between the two cars, however there are plenty of 10, 9, and 8 second mustangs out there which would embarrass a run of the mill corvette. Same can be said about modified corvettes embarrassing Vipers, or Mustangs, or Porsche, or...whatever.

Agreed. Once the cars are modified, there really is no such thing as "class" anymore :) Run whatcha brung, and hope you've brought enough.

Poppacapp

Established Member
My 12' with 690rwhp had no problem with H/C/I Z's. 60-130 timed at 5.71secs

gearhead08

Established Member
Ohh ya, more info came down the tube. The z06 had a tune, and filter and made 464whp. That is the power numbers it made in 110+ heat.

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
We have a 1/2mile roll racing event coming in December in Gila Bend. Let me know if you wanna line up and we can have some legal fun. :)
There's a "700RWHP" 2013 GT500 I met at my local Circle K this past Saturday that wants to race me from a 40 roll.....should be lots of fun.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
The weight difference is 800lbs. With the aerodynamics of the zo6 and gearing they are hard to beat. If you had a passenger with you, or you weighed more then the driver then again your weight increases. 120rwhp is enough to beat a stock z06 but you aren't going to but bus lengths on it.

My buddies TT C5 ZO6 weighs in at 3080 (I Believe) making 515 rwhp. I was making 660rwhp in my 03 Cobra. With a passenger I was around 800lbs more then the Z. I would jump out a car or 2 on him but once we got over 100mph he would reel me in by 145mph.

So yeah I can believe the C6 ZO6 is stock
This is the best answer to the OP. The Z06s aerodynamics are right there with Ferraris and such. The C5Zs like I have, actually have the best aero of any Corvette due to the smooth body lines and low height. Have you ever looked underneath a Z06 compared to a GT500? The Z has panels all the way to the gas tank and the exhaust pipes are tucked up in the tunnel where the drive shaft is. Unlike a Mustang which has everything hanging down to catch wind, thus slowing it down. I see these as two different cars. The Mustang has been and still is, i.e. 2015, basically a muscle car. The Corvette is a sports car built for all around performance, not just going in a straight line in a 1/4 mile. I have owned two Mustangs, a fox GT & a SN95 Cobra, and now a C5Z. I love both cars, but they are just different in so many ways.

Users who are viewing this thread