"stock" C6Z06 vs 09 GT500

gearhead08

Established Member
So long story short. Ran this guy from a dig with my 3.31s couldnt hook up and got raped by 5 cars. Come to find out tonight we crossed paths again and did a roll race on the highway. I also have 3.73s now. Did a 45 roll honked it off and we were neck and neck all the way to the top of third then i pulled a fender shifted to 4th with his nose at the back of my door then we shut it down. Now my real question is... his exhaust seems throaty.... besides that i have to take his word he is stock.... i have not had the opportunity to run another z06 to compare.. im just confused.. i have around 170whp on this guy if he is stock... so is it a freak z06 or is he lieing through his teeth? Thoughts? I was always thought 120rwh over is more than enough to compensate for the weight of the gt500.:shrug:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
He probably has stock duel mode exhaust. Once the engine gets over 3500 rpm the mufflers open up a second pipe and it gets much louder.

Have you ever ran at the track? Just curious because average stock z06s run mid 11s at 125ish

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Probably was stock...with the factory adjustable muffler...some people pull the fuse and run em wide open everywhere. That car has a tremendous weight and gearing advantage....if it makes you feel better they go boom over 700 without built internals though ;-D

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
100whp more should pull a half to full car on a 40-140 and I've ran a bunch of them. Either he isn't stock or a much better driver than you, no offense. Are mods are similar with a slight more on mine but I brutalize a stock Z on any type of race.

Last edited:

Ninedown

Established Member
The weight difference is 800lbs. With the aerodynamics of the zo6 and gearing they are hard to beat. If you had a passenger with you, or you weighed more then the driver then again your weight increases. 120rwhp is enough to beat a stock z06 but you aren't going to but bus lengths on it.

My buddies TT C5 ZO6 weighs in at 3080 (I Believe) making 515 rwhp. I was making 660rwhp in my 03 Cobra. With a passenger I was around 800lbs more then the Z. I would jump out a car or 2 on him but once we got over 100mph he would reel me in by 145mph.

So yeah I can believe the C6 ZO6 is stock

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The weight difference is 800lbs. With the aerodynamics of the zo6 and gearing they are hard to beat. If you had a passenger with you, or you weighed more then the driver then again your weight increases. 120rwhp is enough to beat a stock z06 but you aren't going to but bus lengths on it.

My buddies TT C5 ZO6 weighs in at 3080 (I Believe) making 515 rwhp. I was making 660rwhp in my 03 Cobra. With a passenger I was around 800lbs more then the Z. I would jump out a car or 2 on him but once we got over 100mph he would reel me in by 145mph.

So yeah I can believe the C6 ZO6 is stock

He believes he has a 170hp advantage, shouldn't have been close. 130+ vs 125.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
In my Own experience I was very slowly pulling on a bone stock 13 gt500 with my tune and intake Z. We did 3 rolls and every outcome bu 100 I was ever so slowly pulling away. He has a pulley now , so different outcome :) lol.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
It's probably a bolt-on car. Headers, cai, and tune. 470rwhp. Matt is right though with the exhaust. It could be stock and they are somewhat loud when you open them up.

Theyre a bitch to race. My lightly modded C6 Z seems faster than my stock '14 GT500

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
When I was basically stock (CAI only, no tune, 454 RWHP), my C6 Z06 would be pretty much dead even with stock 600 RWHP 12-14 GT500's in the winter time in a roll race, with the GT500 having a slight edge once I shifted into 4th (big RPM drop in the Z)....in the heat of summer here in Phoenix, I could actually pull on one. I have yet to see any late model 600-650 HP Mustang run 130+ traps here in Phoenix, with the exception of maybe a stalled auto with weight loss.

I'm guessing your 620 RWHP is a corrected SAE chassis dyno figure. I think You just recently got you car into the high 11's according to one of your other post, but you didn't mention your trap speeds ?

I'm guessing you ran up against a tuned, maybe CAI, but otherwise stock C6 Z06.

By the way, nice car, and good kill :)

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
I can see the Z being stock. Good kill OP. Those Z's aren't easy to beat stock or modified. Even though the new C7Z will take the crown, the C6Z is still basically the best all around car out there, a world beater. H/C/I and not many cars will touch it. Nitrous and it's no question of what's the better car.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Probably stock. Z comes with the mild to wild exhaust standard so above 3K they sound off. Since you were even the cutouts were right next to you.

Has for blowing at the 700 rwhp remark, 600 rwhp Z is a very hard car to beat. Higher the speed the worst it becomes for the stang. Good runs but a H/C/I Z will hurt a TVS stang

gearhead08

Established Member
To answer a few questions that have arose. I have taken my car to the track before. Best time is 11.81 @125mph with a 2.0 60 ft with 3.31 gears. I went friday with my 3.73s. The best time i could muster was a 12.5 at a 122mph with a 2.3 60ft. Weather was bad prep was bad and i had crappy 555r drag radials like before but they are getting old. The C6Z06 best time of the night was a 12.4 @ 121mph. This was all in phoenix az drag strip. On the roll race i had AC blasting with a passenger with a full tank of gas. He also had a passenger. In case people wanted more details. When i dynoed my car it was in florida it made 636rwhp and 620rwhp on a dynojet. I tell people 620 because the 636 had a weird graph with a spike at the end and thats where peak hp was measured from which did not look right. I was also neck and neck with a stock 13 gt500 in florida before my 3.73 gear swap and i had a passenger at the time. So im starting to conclude it was probably a stock Z06. Thanks for all the inputs i appreciate it.

gearhead08

Established Member
Also, i forgot to mention i have never raced another stock Z06 to compare. I have raced a h/c/i/e z06 stuck with him from a 50 roll with my 3.31s through 2nd gear. Switched to 3rd and was pulled stupid hard by the time he shut down he had at least 4 cars on me and was still gaining.

FNBADAZ06

Established Member
Yep...your trap speeds are consistent to what a stock'ish C6 Z06 would lay down, which seems to be backed up with what you saw at the track on Friday.

Still....a win is a win :)

Users who are viewing this thread