stock clutch problem(?)

kennycoulter

Established Member
i searched, but kept bringing up info on aftermarket clutches and heat exchangers.

i have been driving my 2003 lately, and realized that the clutch gets more sensitive after driving it for a while. >>>>>with added heat.

my cobra clutch grabs close to the firewall when compared to my other mustang's clutch.

after driving for a while, and assuming getting heat soaked, the clutch grabs RIGHT off of the firewall. if i am driving on the highway for a while, and finally have to come away from a stop sign/light at an exit, it is very likely that i will stall the car.

i usually keep the gas pedal to a minimum when letting out the clutch, but with the way that i drive, i have to change my timing when the car is warm.

i would rather think that there is somethign weird/wrong with the car instead of just "having to adapt" to drive my car. (think of selling a used car to a person and having to explain that you have to give it more gas off the line when the car gets warmed up).......sounds like a mechanical problem.

i still have the stock cable and clutch.
is it possible that heat is swelling my clutch's friction material?
is this normal or common?

i do not remember my car doing this before i added performance parts, but the car was down for three years.

Avispa

Established Member
Clutch engaging near the floor is usually a sign that the clutch disk is worn thin. The pressure plate can only pull back so far; when the disk gets too thin it won't release at all. Your heat problem can also be related to a worn out disk.

kennycoulter

Established Member
well i only have 20,000 on the car, and only have about 1000 miles since i have had everythign apart, clutch looked brand new.

the thing that sucks about trying to figure out if the car was previously like this for the clutch (or other symptoms) is that the car was down for so long....i can't remember what it used to feel like.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
My stock clutch would do this when it got hot at the track. It would engage real close to the floor. The hotter it got the less room for error I had to engage the clutch. I got an aftermarket clutch cable adjuster and it would help as I would tighten the cable after a few runs at the track when the clutch got hot.
To be honest, your clutch is probably on its way out, so I replaced mine with the Spec 3+ as it started slippin' some in 2nd gear with the Kenne Bell

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
clutch

i searched, but kept bringing up info on aftermarket clutches and heat exchangers.

i have been driving my 2003 lately, and realized that the clutch gets more sensitive after driving it for a while. >>>>>with added heat.

my cobra clutch grabs close to the firewall when compared to my other mustang's clutch.

after driving for a while, and assuming getting heat soaked, the clutch grabs RIGHT off of the firewall. if i am driving on the highway for a while, and finally have to come away from a stop sign/light at an exit, it is very likely that i will stall the car.

i usually keep the gas pedal to a minimum when letting out the clutch, but with the way that i drive, i have to change my timing when the car is warm.

i would rather think that there is somethign weird/wrong with the car instead of just "having to adapt" to drive my car. (think of selling a used car to a person and having to explain that you have to give it more gas off the line when the car gets warmed up).......sounds like a mechanical problem.

i still have the stock cable and clutch.
is it possible that heat is swelling my clutch's friction material?
is this normal or common?

i do not remember my car doing this before i added performance parts, but the car was down for three years.

do you have alot of free play?

our clutch is stock and i remember mine doing that after we changed the tob..

oyea ours has 269k on it....still waiting for the pedal to soften up....many pumps on our pedal and oem clutch is still hard to push and hold

kennycoulter

Established Member
My stock clutch would do this when it got hot at the track. It would engage real close to the floor. The hotter it got the less room for error I had to engage the clutch. I got an aftermarket clutch cable adjuster and it would help as I would tighten the cable after a few runs at the track when the clutch got hot.
To be honest, your clutch is probably on its way out, so I replaced mine with the Spec 3+ as it started slippin' some in 2nd gear with the Kenne Bell

this sounds to be exactly what mine is doing. i have never had mine on the strip, and only really gotten on the car a few times.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
this sounds to be exactly what mine is doing. i have never had mine on the strip, and only really gotten on the car a few times.

Look in the how-to section how to adjust the stock clutch cable. There's a thread on it. I used to pull up on the clutch pedal a little and it would help some, but getting an aftermarket clutch quadrant microclick/firewall adjuster from Fiore and a UPR triple hook quadrant helped some...

Users who are viewing this thread