Stock Cobra Sound System

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Im looking for some info on the Cobra's stock sound system, the Mach 460. I recently installed a Pioneer double din (p4300 dvd) and when ever I turn the volume up past 10 the bass sounds muffled. Doesn't have the same bass/treble oomph as the stock head unit through the speakers. Has anyone come across this before after doing a double din or an aftermarket HU install? I was talking with my buddy about it and he thinks that its because the Pioneer is using more power vs the stock head unit. Does anyone on here know how much power the stock head unit uses? Im thinking I just need another amp. :shrug: I figured the two stock amps would be enough. Need Input :beer:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Im looking for some info on the Cobra's stock sound system, the Mach 460. I recently installed a Pioneer double din (p4300 dvd) and when ever I turn the volume up past 10 the bass sounds muffled. Doesn't have the same bass/treble oomph as the stock head unit through the speakers. Has anyone come across this before after doing a double din or an aftermarket HU install? I was talking with my buddy about it and he thinks that its because the Pioneer is using more power vs the stock head unit. Does anyone on here know how much power the stock head unit uses? Im thinking I just need another amp. :shrug: I figured the two stock amps would be enough. Need Input :beer:
use the search function...

from this site..
Tech- Add-on subwoofer install into 03 Cobra Vert using factory Mach 460 stereo - SVTPerformance

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I really appreciate the link. Great write up. Unfortunately it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Plus the links for the wiring diagrams aren't working.

Does anyone have a 03-04 Mach 460 wiring diagram?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I really appreciate the link. Great write up. Unfortunately it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Plus the links for the wiring diagrams aren't working.

Does anyone have a 03-04 Mach 460 wiring diagram?

wire diagrams are easy...i read thru that link and it links out to head units..

same as ford service manual
Gale Cengage Product Failure

search there should be a buttload of stories that link was just 1...

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Awesome! I'm at work right now, I'll do more extensive research tonight. Appreciate the info.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I'm also curious if I even need an aftermarket amp. Anyone else ever come across this problem?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I'm also curious if I even need an aftermarket amp. Anyone else ever come across this problem?

there are 100`s of mustang forums ,,each have stickys that are different..

start with google,,,there are many guys that have problems...

caution...not everthing you read will be 100%...so keep clicking

however during search i always find im sent back to svtp...even tho i dont see story when i search svtp...guess over the years this site was very busy

usmcvet02

Fassst
Established Member
I had the same issue! I didn't have the crossover function ON. Look for it on your deck, LPF/HPF and I bet it will improve your sound! I just put an aftermarket HU 2 days ago and was pissed that it sounded muffled and just plain shitty....

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I realized today that its just the tweeters working and my rear speakers are working fine to, its just my front door speakers that arent working. :shrug:

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
I installed a kenwood dd in my vert, lost a lot of bass,

I added one 12"sub and 500 watt amp now it sounds great!

Did you get the harness that has RCA jacks ?

Last edited:

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I installed a kenwood dd in my vert, lost a lot of bass,

I added one 12"sub and 500 watt amp now it sounds great!

Did you get the harness that has RCA jacks ?

Eventually I'm going to add a 10" sub to get a little more bass. But no, that's what my problem is. When I went to Best Buy and bought the other wiring harness, no one told me I had to get a separate wiring harness with the RCA jacks for the amp that runs the other speakers. I'm picking some up today after work. Hopefully that solves my problem. If not, I'm just guna buy all new speakers. I only use my HU half the time when I'm driving anyways. The other half is my borlas and SC. I really only bought it because my stock radio was malfunctioning and I wanted to be able to plug my phone into the radio.

Thanks for all the help Svtp

hotcobra03

Established Member
cool...while searching youtube there was a video of a guy who hooked up his ipod to stock system...it didnt show how but he told what he did..

my cd player took a crap but i dont listen to radio enough anymore but now with smartphones and apps i want to see how he did it...

wmmr 93.3 has an app...

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
cool...while searching youtube there was a video of a guy who hooked up his ipod to stock system...it didnt show how but he told what he did..

my cd player took a crap but i dont listen to radio enough anymore but now with smartphones and apps i want to see how he did it...

wmmr 93.3 has an app...

Yeah that'd be pretty nice. I've seen It done on a few cars. I probably would have done that too if it weren't for my radio taking a dump.

NorCal_03Cobra

SVTP Member
Established Member
It's best to just replace the whole system if you can, did it with my 97 GT

The problem might be that the aftermarket headunit is providing a different signal output as the stock headunit :shrug:

I know that the speakers are 8ohm, they use a strange setup for amp signals, etc... I guess Ford is weird like that

If you can get new speakers, amp and run your own wires that'd be the best solution

For my Cobra I'm going with JL Audio CS5 speakers,10w6v2 sub and full dynamat including cabin :rockon:

Jroc

Established Member
Stock Terminator sound system is about 10x's better than stock L sound system.

Users who are viewing this thread