Stock Mach 1 vs. Stock 03 Cobra

STREET SVT

Established Member
I've been told on a straightaway the Mach 1's can beat the 03 Cobras. Is this true? Are there any aspects of the Mach 1 that is superior to the 03 Cobra? :??:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
most mach 1's launch better than the cobras. live axle in the mach 1 does not hop under hard acceleration.
0-60 the mach 1 is very even with the stock 03 cobra. but usually by the 1/8 mile the cobra has caught and past the mach 1's driver being equall.
from a roll forget about it, the cobra runs away.

it is always fun to get these kids in the faster cars and beat them at the track becuase of the mistakes of thier pilot.:beer:

STREET SVT

Established Member
Ok, well to be honest i really thought it was far-fetched, I mean it really didn't make much sense. Tomorrow I will post the chat log for you guys to see...

Peter

Established Member
Mach1 is about 300 lbs lighter, that with the solid axle make it a contender in a short contest, but from a roll or a 1/4 the Cobra will prevail.

Pete

:burnout:

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
But the dealer told me the Zinc Mach was faster than all the other color Cobra's out there!! WTF!!:-D

Bandicoot

Established Member
Well, richard wilson on the mach1registry claims (and I believe him), that he beat a 03 cobra up to 100mph from a stop (about 1/4 mile). I believe it because he managed to get a 12.89 with the car stock (good track conditions)... kudos to him! :thumbsup:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9783

Here is the link to the 03 cobra kill.

I absolutely love cobras, so don't get me wrong!

*Edit* I guess the mach was modified while he ran... I can't really tell... :??:

Last edited:

bullet 1

Established Member
In ROAD AND TRACK the said that the MACH1 was only about 1/2 a sec slower in just about everything to the COBRA. So I can see how a good driver could beat a COBRA in a MACH1. But only to about 110mph.

COBRA32

Established Member
Like they say in football on any giving day any football team can be beat even if they are the better team. Drivers being equal and conditions being equal a stock Cobra against a stock Mach 1 the Cobra will win period. Anything is possible but in stock form the Cobra is faster. The driver in the Cobra may have left the traction control on which we all know would end any chance of winning,who knows I wasn't there to see it. So yes it possible that a Cobra guy could have lost but that doesn't mean that the Cobra is slower. It just means that the Cobra guy should give his keys to the Mach1 guy so that he could find out how really fasts his Cobra is.

Bandicoot

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRA32
Like they say in football on any giving day any football team can be beat even if they are the better team. Drivers being equal and conditions being equal a stock Cobra against a stock Mach 1 the Cobra will win period. Anything is possible but in stock form the Cobra is faster. The driver in the Cobra may have left the traction control on which we all know would end any chance of winning,who knows I wasn't there to see it. So yes it possible that a Cobra guy could have lost but that doesn't mean that the Cobra is slower. It just means that the Cobra guy should give his keys to the Mach1 guy so that he could find out how really fasts his Cobra is.

Exactly. :-D

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
My Dad's car car with the Nitto's will definantly outdig the Cobra for 40- 50 feet, NO BS. The Cobra will begin to shine after the chassis has settled down and it begins to stick and can get the power to the ground. You have to be able to drive the Mach in order to get what you need out of it. Staying below 3800 in the rpm range will land you killed, stay above that and the Mach is very potent in the nasty power band. These cars hook up and shift super easy with the stock shifter, and the clutch isn't 500lbs either. I will say if the Mach had the identical mill as the Cobra it would take a lot of IRS work on the cobra to bring it up to par. I will also say not all mach's are created equal. Out of five we test drove there was clearly a difference between the fastest one and the slowest one. We chose one of the two fastest both built more recent than the other 3 units on the lot.

After we Procharge the Mach and make some bottom end adjustmentswith the suspension change to MRT springs this car will no doubt be a Cobra/Z06 killer. Since we have a Cobra to constantly compare it to this should be an easy task. I love it, these cars are great.

Last edited:

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Parents are moving to Dallas and we are going to get a hp base run done there. After that we will start to mod and check hp as each mod is complete. This will be a pain if the only dyno is really far away, and knowing Dallas nothing is ever close like it is here in New Orleans.

1/2 bent

Established Member
Off topic but that has already been covered. I just noticed the Mack 1 has a place for the front plate on the bumper. My 03 Cobra did not. I just took it in to have it drilled and a plate bracket put on :cryying: . Oh well have to have it here in MO.

Tomcat427

I know I need a cage :)
Established Member
Originally posted by Yates...Man
Parents are moving to Dallas and we are going to get a hp base run done there. After that we will start to mod and check hp as each mod is complete. This will be a pain if the only dyno is really far away, and knowing Dallas nothing is ever close like it is here in New Orleans.

What part of Dallas, I know a place I can stand and get to 4 different dyno's within 20 min's.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I have an 03 cobra vert and my buddy has the new mach 1. I raced him from a 30mph roll after work one night. His car was completely stock, mine only had cold air intake and straightpipes at that time. Needless to say I pulled on him pretty good, just walked away. Not taking anything away from the Mach, it is a sweet ride. I would love to drive a Mach with a blower on it, that would be lots of fun!

Mach1Marauder

Banned
I've beat two different 03 Cobras at a local 1/8 mile track and I was NOT driving it to the 10s. The key here was the "Driver Mod". I've been drag racing fords since the late 70's, seldom get beat at the tree and I USUALLY can adapt pretty quick to the car and track. A car with massive HP is NOT the end all answer!

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Originally posted by Mach1Marauder
I've beat two different 03 Cobras at a local 1/8 mile track and I was NOT driving it to the 10s. The key here was the "Driver Mod". I've been drag racing fords since the late 70's, seldom get beat at the tree and I USUALLY can adapt pretty quick to the car and track. A car with massive HP is NOT the end all answer!

What time in the 1/8 can you get?

Users who are viewing this thread