Stock Mach 1 vs. Stock 03 Cobra

saadcobra

Be away from me
Established Member
No way mach 1 beat Cobra. Cobra 390 hp and mach 1 300 hp think about it only if the mach 1 is moded alot:nonono:

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
No way mach 1 beat Cobra. Cobra 390 hp and mach 1 300 hp think about it only if the mach 1 is moded alot

i beleive this. dads got a 01 cobra and the mach is saposed to be the same thing besides i think the heads and cam which only nets the mach to the BEST ide say for a stock trap 105. ive went to Etown and saw the best mach 1 run down there run 13.6 @ 105.

up at Lebonon Valley NY i saw a mach one only run 14.2 @ 102 when my buddy chris (hes on this board and will say it too) ran a 12.9 stock with stock filter, stock exhuast, and stock tires.

as for modding goes i dont know about the lower part of the mach 1 but if its all alum. then i would be careful for melting things down there.. dad put a novi 1k on his 01 cobra and got 446 to the wheels with magnaflow muffs, O/R X pipe and thats it. (9psi) yea you could always put a blower or turbo but we could just put a pulley on with a tune and be the same.

it just depends on what kind of car that you like. my dad liked the mach 1 before i bought my car and took him for a ride. i like the shaker on the mach but i like the hood on the cobra as well, and everything that comes along with the cobra with the awsome bottom end of the car. thats why i sold my 5.0 cause i knew i was going to have to do a short block some time and the cobra was just right to buy. sorry for writing so much guys.

Mach1Marauder

Banned
Originally posted by saadcobra
No way mach 1 beat Cobra. Cobra 390 hp and mach 1 300 hp think about it only if the mach 1 is moded alot:nonono:

Ummmm.............all my MACH1 has is catted X with a catback and DRs!
Some Cobra owners have really big heads! LOL! That is plain and very evident in the "5.0 article Mach WON?????????????" post.
Sure glad I didn't buy a Cobra if it makes you head swell that much!

DRIVER MOD IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Oh come on..my 82 GT can take the new Mach 1 :D ;-) :beer:
82GTa.jpg

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by STREET SVT
I've been told on a straightaway the Mach 1's can beat the 03 Cobras. Is this true? Are there any aspects of the Mach 1 that is superior to the 03 Cobra? :??:

The Mach1 may get a slight jump on the Cobra simply because it has a SRA. But beyond that there really isnt any truth in that a Mach1 can beat a Cobra in the straight line. I'v heard of bone stock Cobra's running sub 12.5 second E/T's, where I'v yet to here of any unmodified Mach1's to break a 12.9 without the use of Drag Radials or slicks.

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Mach1Marauder
Ummmm.............all my MACH1 has is catted X with a catback and DRs!
Some Cobra owners have really big heads! LOL! That is plain and very evident in the "5.0 article Mach WON?????????????" post.
Sure glad I didn't buy a Cobra if it makes you head swell that much!

DRIVER MOD IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the Mach1 so I dont think this classify's me as having a big head, but its simply a matter of physics. The Mach1 is not as quick as the Cobra plain and simple.

You want to argue drivers, thats fine, but remember, a Drivers race, and which cars actually stronger than the other are 2 different things. As I'v said a million times before I could burn the tires half way down the track, miss 3 shifts, and roll in a 15 second E/T in a Mach1 and watch some punk in a honda blow right by me. Does this mean his Civic is the better car?

My goal isnt to talk down on the Mach1, its awsome in its relative class, but in this scenario its just not the stronger car. Shame on you for taking magazine results to heart.

There was a magazine article a few years back that put out a list of domestic cars that have the worst reputation for body rust. Number 1 and 2 was the Pontiac Fiero, and the Chevrolet Corvette. Some how, a car with an all plastic body, and a car with an all fiber glass body, had the worst body rust ratings in that article. From then on I realized I wasnt to ever take what magazines say to heart.

Last edited:

Mach1Marauder

Banned
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
I love the Mach1 so I dont think this classify's me as having a big head, but its simply a matter of physics. The Mach1 is not as quick as the Cobra plain and simple.

You want to argue drivers, thats fine, but remember, a Drivers race, and which cars actually stronger than the other are 2 different things. As I'v said a million times before I could burn the tires half way down the track, miss 3 shifts, and roll in a 15 second E/T in a Mach1 and watch some punk in a honda blow right by me. Does this mean his Civic is the better car?

My goal isnt to talk down on the Mach1, its awsome in its relative class, but in this scenario its just not the stronger car. Shame on you for taking magazine results to heart.

There was a magazine article a few years back that put out a list of domestic cars that have the worst reputation for body rust. Number 1 and 2 was the Pontiac Fiero, and the Chevrolet Corvette. Some how, a car with an all plastic body, and a car with an all fiber glass body, had the worst body rust ratings in that article. From then on I realized I wasnt to ever take what magazines say to heart.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Cobra! When I was looking last year for a new toy, it was the first car I looked at and test drove. The only reason I don't have one now is that the seats just don't feel comfortable to me with me being a disabled Vet. Seat comfort was a deal killer!

03CobraBro

Established Member
Don't get me wrong. I love the Cobra! When I was looking last year for a new toy, it was the first car I looked at and test drove. The only reason I don't have one now is that the seats just don't feel comfortable to me with me being a disabled Vet. Seat comfort was a deal killer!

As far as I'm concerned, both cars do what they do very well, so you dont lose either way. :beer:

Wild Bill

Established Member
I can tell you from personal experience as I test drove a stock mach 1,and also borrowed a friends modded mach 1 for a day.The Stock mach 1 pulled about as hard as my bolt-on 02 gt.It was pretty good but no match after 1st gear for a stock 03.My friends modded mach had 4.10s,drag radials,full exhaust,chip,subframes,shifter and nitrous.I did not use the nitrous.In his mach I beat a C5 vett and beat my friends stock 03 all the way till 4th. I dont really see a stock mach taking a stock 03 but its not impossible.I just would'nt bet any money on it.

HotRodHarry

Established Member
Nice looking GT there Harry! What tires are on those TRX wheels? They bulge a bit. Those were odd ball size wheels! I bought a set of tires in 79 for $114 each WHOLESALE!

Thanks....they are the optional Michelin metric tire for that rim supposedly..
I will have to check the exact size when I get home...I know that tire/wheel package was optional on the 82 GT....you got a larger tire when you got those tims...the other standard rims looked totally different.
The tires are brand new....

Back on topic....Mach 1 and Cobra's are just plain awesome..either one is a blast...Mach's trap mostly in the 105 106 mph range stock..the Cobra's in the 112 113 mph range stock...that alone shows which one is capable of faster 1/4 mile times.

Yes...some Machs stock, will get 107 maybe....and some Cobra's will get 114 or even 115 ....but those are the cars at better tracks with better elevations and weather conditions. But still...the mph shows which is making more power and showing the capability in 1/4 blasts.....The Machs mph usually is a high 12's on a setup car...and the Cobra's mph is showing high 11's on a setup car...

Just some basic drag racing knowledge

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Over the weekend, my friend bought a new Mach 1 automatic.

On the test drive we got a little sideways on the 1-2 upshift with 3 people in the car and A/C running. As I mentioned, it's an automatic.

It's impressive that without power adder, the engine has such a healthy torque curve. It really holds you in your seat.

I know that if Ford didn't sell Cobras, I'd seriously consider a Mach.

Kudos to Ford for releasing both cars.
:beer:

99whitecobra99

Established Member
Re: Re: Stock Mach 1 vs. Stock 03 Cobra

Originally posted by 03CobraBro
The Mach1 may get a slight jump on the Cobra simply because it has a SRA. But beyond that there really isnt any truth in that a Mach1 can beat a Cobra in the straight line. I'v heard of bone stock Cobra's running sub 12.5 second E/T's, where I'v yet to here of any unmodified Mach1's to break a 12.9 without the use of Drag Radials or slicks.

Check my sig:shrug:

The Pro 5.0 shifter was the only mod.

HotRodHarry

Established Member
I tell ya...that 12.88 at 106 sure does seem bogus...(not saying it is)..but it would seem some real sticky tires were needed and maybe some weight reduction or sway bar off also...cause usually that mph of only 106 is something stickys tires come with, for a holeshot and losing umph up top ...as your time indicates....again..I AM NOT SAYING ITS NOT TRUE....just appears that way to me. So what we need is for someone down there with a good running stock 03 Cobra to have you drive it and see how fast she goes at that track. Cause if all is on the up and up...you know how to drive with stock tires on a sticky sticky track. Dont get me wrong..I Love Both Cars!!
But so far..yours is the only and I mean only one to go that fast.....All Stock. Shifter doesnt even count...I can powershift all day with the stock shifter. So in short...your times were done completely stock..tires...all equipment on the car...just like off the showroom floor

On to my 82 GT tire size..they are Michelin 220-55-390's
Most likely larger than the stock TRX optional size..but they look nice on there anyway.

99whitecobra99

Established Member
Originally posted by HotRodHarry
I tell ya...that 12.88 at 106 sure does seem bogus...(not saying it is)..but it would seem some real sticky tires were needed and maybe some weight reduction or sway bar off also...cause usually that mph of only 106 is something stickys tires come with, for a holeshot and losing umph up top ...as your time indicates....again..I AM NOT SAYING ITS NOT TRUE....just appears that way to me. So what we need is for someone down there with a good running stock 03 Cobra to have you drive it and see how fast she goes at that track. Cause if all is on the up and up...you know how to drive with stock tires on a sticky sticky track. Dont get me wrong..I Love Both Cars!!
But so far..yours is the only and I mean only one to go that fast.....All Stock. Shifter doesnt even count...I can powershift all day with the stock shifter. So in short...your times were done completely stock..tires...all equipment on the car...just like off the showroom floor

On to my 82 GT tire size..they are Michelin 220-55-390's
Most likely larger than the stock TRX optional size..but they look nice on there anyway.

You were the one who posted it first on Modularfords. Maybe you should remember some of you're previous posts before you go ahead and post again.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7050

In my post I Clearly State that I did do weight reduction on my car.

Here is some of the things that people have to say about the track I go to.

No Problem Raceway features one of the best quarter-mile racing surfaces in the entire country. A ground and polished 700-foot concrete pad, combined with the track’s location just 12 feet above sea level, have resulted in a great number of outstanding record book performances in the past. At a recent NHRA divisional event, in spite of 93-degree temperatures and 80% humidity, no less than four NHRA records were broken.

Read more here.

http://www.competitionplus.com/05_14_2003/nmca_noprob.html

I'm sorry if my Track hooks like a Big Dog but that is not my Fault and YES I CAN DRIVE.

Harry says: So in short...your times were done completely stock..tires...all equipment on the car...just like off the showroom floor.

Why would you say that? because I never.

HotRodHarry

Established Member
I know I was the one that posted it...I love the idea of your car going that fast and I was letting the world know how fast a stock Mach 1 could go....but as I also said...your track is one sticky ass track.......we cant use your time as the average joe Mach 1 time....your car is a freak and as I said..you can drive! Maybe I will make it down to your track one of these days.

I meant no harm in my post.....

The average Mach 1 with a good driver will rip 13.20's to 13.40's all day at 106ish mph

The average Cobra with a good driver will rip 12.60's to 12.80's all day at 113ish mph

A stock Mach 1 with sticky tires will rip 12.90's
A stock Cobra with sticky tires will rip 12.30's

Hats off to you,your Mach 1 and your track and area! You made the Mach 1 guys..including myself..proud.

Im just trying to point out that a stock Mach 1 is not as fast as as stock Cobra. Of the same year that is. Pair your Mach 1 against an earlier stock Cobra and its all over for the Cobra.

The debate could go on forever...better bottom end in the new Cobra....stronger trans.....better rear in Mach for drag racing...lighter car...add a few pounds of boost with a supercharger in the Mach..your right up there....add 20 lbs of Kennebell boost plus to a new Cobra at around 700 rearwheel horsepower with the stock motor....dont try that in a Mach. It all depends on how your look at it.....this thread is stock vs. stock....and as any common sense will tell you...the new Cobra is faster than the new Mach 1. Not saying its the better car....cause I know first hand that the Mach 1 is more comfortable to sit in the seats...shifter and trans and butter smooth to shift...the Shaker is cool as hell.....

So sorry to urk some of you with my earlier post...what I was thinking was hard to put down in words....both cars rock!!

Users who are viewing this thread