• Custom or High End

Votes: 165 40.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverStallion

Attn To Detail
Established Member
No - to be honest, it is performing perfectly, and I have had no issues at all. I do not have that W7 shaking the ground though...it just adds filler, almost like a home theatre system now.

~Darren

heywaitfourme

Established Member
Those of you with amps and subs, are you running capacitors? I have two audiobahn flame Q 12's and a 3000 watt amp I may put in the mustang. I'm know I will need a cap with that, but those of you with mild amps, are you running with caps or not? Thanks

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thought I would post a yellow mustang registry link I posted some months back for some substanance...hope it helps someone. Alot is opinion but I have had my share of stereos...

Its pretty hard to say that any one name brand is "THE WAY" to go. I find that several different name brands make certain items better than others. For instance I am a die hard Pioneer man when it comes to head units as well as home stereo(not speakers). But when it comes to 99% of their subs..I wouldn't have them. Their amps also are less than desireable. For sure though you HAVE to go name brand when it comes to car stereo. A 5000 watt jenson amp is highly over rated with a ton of distortion. One way to tell a high power amp is by looking at the fuses. If current of the amp is high then it should have some descent size fuses. I had a Orion HCCA 275 amp and I kept blowing 15" subs one after another. Problem was that I was rolling with my windows down when the box was designed for competion which are windows up. 2 much air to the subs and over excursion. (6 inch diameter port)Basically, it's what do you want to do with your system and how much money do you want to spend? Theres ways around cost in some areas. Like..you want huge bass but those amps are like a grand. Well, just make your box two chambers and buy two $100 amps and bridge each amp to each sub. I have even seen that go as far as bridging 4 amps to one speaker(WOW). The Mach 460 is a really good stereo. It's hurting in the low end so I purchased a huge eclipse amp and mounted it flush behind my seats in my 02 stang. Then purchased two 10" subs for the trunk. Sounds good but I am getting bass hungry again. Think I am about to seat delete and two 15" Rockford Fozgate Power HX2's. You honestly can't go wrong with them speakers! Biggest problem is a persons setup. Have enough power for your subs? Does your sub box have a port? A closed box isn't gonna give as much low frequencies as a ported one. As well your speakers are not going to be able to breath which can cause your coils to over heat. Is your speaker box designed for your speakers? Rite size wire, inline fuses?? Some good name brandes include, Eclipse, Rockford Fozgate, Orion, Precision Power, Alpine, JBL, Memphis as well as several others. I would never buy..Sony anything, Legacy, Pyramid, Jenson, Kraco and some other shady manufactuers. Alot is opinion so don't take me wrong if you LUV your Sony EXPLODES! HA HA HA. Rightly named I might add, lol. I have seen some people take the worst name brands and with the perfect setup get outstanding results. Few and far inbetween. Anyhow, hope this rambling helped someone in some way-Shane

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/risky_business_361/detail?.dir=55d9&.dnm=895b.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/risky_business_361/detail?.dir=55d9&.dnm=4bf0.jpg&.src=ph

acrod

Established Member
I know this is a couple of months old already, but I have been wanting to take out that heavy mach 460 out for awhile now. What route do you think I should go to lose the weight and have at least comparable sound to the stock setup. I do not want any subs.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Not sure about replacing the stock stereo with lighter better aftermarket stuff. My priorities are different than yous when it comes light weight and sound. I do know that you can install a self powered bazooka bass tube which can be removed in seconds before heading to the track. It's about as easy as taking a cooler out of your car. I am sure that a custom stereo and 4 midranges would weight alot less than our stereo stock. Last night with a bad tune and 2 heavy subwoofers, huge amp, capacitor I ran a 8.3 in the 1/8 not to mention my first time ever to the track. Cant wait to get that tune fixed :banana:

POP TOP

Banned
I just added a box with two 10' Sony explode's and a 460 watt amp. Sounds much better than I expected. I am running a cap.

Last edited:

acrod

Established Member
Ya but I don't want to add any weight just make the system lighter and at least try to keep the same or better quality as stock sound, and with some subs it would add weight. If I got an aftermarket headunit and change the speakers out for better ones couldn't I find just one amp that could supply power to all and save weight that way?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
You could always get a 4 channel amp and run four mids off it. Or possibly a 5 channel and run a sub for when you want better music or the tube when for really easy removal. You just cant get around the sound being 10 times sbetter without a sub. You really need it so it will do the dirty low freqs so your mids dont have to . Will sound better when the proper speaker is handling the proper freqs they were designed to do-Shane

acrod

Established Member
Ya I guess that would be the way to go. You know Im just scared to rip everything out, cuz once you do it never sits the same. Once those body panels come off, they alwasy end up rattling or something later on.

SVT04

Established Member
Stock system will stay in my Cobra. I don't care how heavy it is or anything else...I listen to it very little actually. I prefer supercharger and muffler music myself ;-)
I do listen to it if I am on a longer trip on the hi-way but mostly it is turned off. If I do anything I may install an interface to run an I-pod in the future. I think the stock system sounds very nice. :burnout:

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
acrod said:
I know this is a couple of months old already, but I have been wanting to take out that heavy mach 460 out for awhile now. What route do you think I should go to lose the weight and have at least comparable sound to the stock setup. I do not want any subs.

getting my stuff installed (again) this weekend. I wanted to reply to your Q since I went without the stock subs for a few weeks as when you replace the stock 460 head unit only, you can't use the stock subs any longer. Eve being stock, it sounded like dammit. I mean it wasn't a ton of lost bass, but it was enough to sound horrible. Plus I blew the front door speakers as the aftermarket head unit requires some sort of bass blockers. I didnt care since I was taking it all out asap. In my 01, where I had the aftermarket things I'm putting back in, I ran two large JL amps, a 2 farad cap, and two kicker CVR10 subs mounted in the spare tire well. Added weight was actually less as the wood box and subs weighed much less than the spare tire anyways. I'll post some pics as soon as I can borrow dig camera next week.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
acrod said:
Ya I guess that would be the way to go. You know Im just scared to rip everything out, cuz once you do it never sits the same. Once those body panels come off, they alwasy end up rattling or something later on.

And since your taking off the door panels, it's a good time to add the thinner (45 mil) sound deadener to the panels, it will be quieter than it was stock. I have the thickest 120 mil deadender for my trunk and panels as I wanted to kill all vibrations, plus mine's a vert so weight isnt a big deal anyways.

acrod

Established Member
ok a couple of questions does it already come with sound deadener in the panels? and where would I get the thinner sound deadener? Also I keep seeing everyone is talking about subs on the car, maybe Im dumb but did the cobras come stock with subs, because I dont remember seeing any in mine.

frankin

Established Member
Stock. I would rather listen to the engine and I agree with Nytebyte about the issue of cutting into the car. The stock system is good enough for me.

frankin

Established Member
I believe the higher end system came with subs. The Mach 1000. Maybe someone can correct this if I am mistaken. The stock system is the Mach 460 no subs. As far as sound deadener, I am not sure. The interior on these cars is no frills. I guess if you want a plush interior you can buy a Lexus or similiar car.

acrod

Established Member
oh true Im just saying. I dont listen to my stereo that much either, but there are times that I do and it would be nice to maybe get a decent sound and be able to shave off some of that weight of the stock system in the process. I mean its just heavy for no reason. As far as sound deadener goes it would be only to shield the inside from all the noise that Im sure I would end up producing by cutting into the interior.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
No sound deadener from the factory...I bought fatmat 120 mil off Ebay and used it in the trunk and door panels. Mach 460 has a pair of 6x8 or 5x7 (cant remember which) in the rear that were called subs, reproduced lower frequencies, but nothing earth shaking as a true sub will do. But as I was alluding to above, if you take these out of the equation, you WILL hear a difference plus blow your fronts of you arent careful.

I have Focal 7" midbasses in my front doors, 5.25 in the rear, with 28mm tweets front and rear, and ZERO cutting was involved. There is plenty of room, the depth is the major factor.

coakeson

Established Member
I installed a box with 2 10" subs and amp to my stock stereo and I can't even hear it. I spliced into the wires right before they go to each connection for the rear speakers and then went into the high output on my amp. Does anyone know if that is correct or should I resplice them into another part of the wiring harness? Maybe I just have some crap speakers and amp. Also if I find a used MACH 460 headunit with the SAT ready option will that be a direct swap for the original one in my cobra or am I missing some wiring harness? I know to get satellite radio you have to buy the reciever and antenna, but I am just wondering if there is a stock wiring harness different from the two radios.

heywaitfourme

Established Member
acrod, you could run components, and a 4 channel amp with an aftermarket headunit. That would save you some weight. Also, if you are careful you will be able to get everything back in in one piece and not have any rattles. Or you could do the fishing game and use some light gauge wire and just fish it thru the nooks and crannys and then tuck the wires under everything else. It can be done. I've done it in my old VR4 and I had no problems. It just takes time, patience and a case of beer because you will get frustrated that way. Or you could just trace the wires from the stock unit. Just remember that you'd have to go from the amp in the back and use a volt meter or something to read continuity (correct if I'm wrong please) and figure out which wire at what speakers it what wire at the amp, and tag them. Then do the same from the headunit to the amp. Then you jsut play the splicing game and your all set. Again, lots of time, patience and beer and you'll be set. Many ways to do it, jsut depends how much your willing to put into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread