Stopped for speeding 70MPH in a 65MPOH zone Mean Trooper Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Hello guys...

I'm looking for a bit of direction and maybe some life experience as to what to do regarding my ticket that I got this am and the manor in which i was treated.

I decided to drive my mustang to work this morning. I was on CT route 8 headed south. Traffic wasn't heavy. I was traveling in a cluster of about 10 to 12 cars..

I was traveling with the speed of traffic, which was doing 70 MPH in a 65MPH zone. (aproching a constrution zone that stated 45MPH)

I was in the left lane behind two other cars, the right lane had 3 cars along side me... its a two lane highway

I looked up in my rear view mirror and noticed a state police officer behind me...

something told me he was running my plate( but i am not worried because all my stuff is legit and i have a crystal clean driving record)

So as I approach the construction zone I down shift to slow down. I missed 5th from 6th and went into 3rd... no big deal since i was going slow enough
(NOTE i just did a viper spec swap and am not use to the trans as its only my 2nd time taking it out in two months.)

so with in seconds the officer put his lights on and I immediately pull over, i come to a stop, I shut off my car and roll my windows down.

The officer comes up along side the car and is just MEAN ! rude, condescending,arrogant, etc .. ( still no big deal as far as I was concerned)

I said may i ask "why I was being stopped?" he said yes you may...

BLANK .. so I asked

I was told because I was speeding...

I stated that I was traveling 70 in a 65, he said thats speeding ( ok)

I replied that I was keeping with the flow of traffic.

He asks for my lic, ins, and reg.

I produced my lic, and reg and remembered since I hardly ever drive my mustang that i didn't have my insurance card on me. how ever I made a statement that I could pull up my actual card online.

I was told that It was unacceptable and that "they" do not allow digital copies of my reg. (ok) so i say no problem officer, I can get you an actual copy here in 5 mins.. he replied how can you do that? I said that my wife can bring the lic to me we live close by.

So the officer replies that shes not allowed to do that because its not safe.. and procedes to ask me about my exhaust.. asking me if it has exhaust on the car ( which it has full exhaust)

I replied that it has full exhaust.. then ask about the engine and telling me that the car doesn't sound legal and wanted to know the modifications (fishing) I simply told him that its a 5.0 engine..

He Now asks about why do I have a Florida lic plate on my car being that I am in Connecticut...

I refused at that point to answer any more questions being that they were not related to the reason why he pulled me over>

Which was speeding

He comes back to my car with one ticket and it has a list of items on the ticket, and proceeds to explain my situation..

(his explanation was that.... I have 30 days to reg my vehicle in the state of Connecticut, that I have both a Connecticut drivers lic and that my Florida registration has my Connecticut mailing address on it.

Asked if I had tinted windows on my passenger and driver doors... "those are not proper in the state of Connecticut with out a permit"

states the speed limit is 65 prior to the bridge and 45 after due to the construction zone..

He states now that the reason why he pulled me over for speeding was because I was the loudest car...

I stated that that was profiling, he replies that It my opinion..

I asked why he was being so nice now? he stated that hes been this nice the whole time.. BS i tell you..

He replied that I refused to answer questions.. WTH? Complaining that I refused to answer why my vehicle wasn't registered in the state of Connecticut
I did refuse to answer that question after I realized he was fishing...

I stated at that point that he was being recorded... he replied that so was I being recorded ..

I also replied that my cousin is a state trooper out of troop F so I know how police work.. If they can write it up .. than you can do basically what they want...

He replies that I have an excessively loud vehicle. Thats why I pulled you over..

I said how can you give me a ticket for how loud it is, do you have a db tester in your car, he replies NO, I said than how do you decide that it meets the noise ordnance? he replies that it was his opinion...

the ticket

Loud exhaust
Warning for no insurance card
warning for having an out of state reg and gave me a 30 day to reg in CT.
Warning for 70 in a 65

the ticket was for $225.00

anyway the rest is Mute...

things to note...

I have a legal address/property in the state of florida.
I have 4 cars in my name

3 are reg in the state of Connecticut and the mustang is reg in Florida...
7 months out of the year the mustang is in florida

the summer months i bring the mustang here to CT.

Its insured in florida, titled in florida, and reg in florida. Its not a daily driver , its a show car/sunday car.
last year i put 490 miles on the OD..

please give me some feed back and direction.. should I call into his super? should I fight the ticket?
couldn't i have a 3rd vehicle reg out of state if its primarily used for recreational use (instead of renting a car in Florida couldn't I have my mustang reg there? ( wouldn't make any sense to have it sitting in FL with CT tags on it wouldn't that violate the dmv law there?)

I am not looking to be justified.

I am 42, I have a perfect driving record and do not hot dog or rip around ever...

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Take it to court here in Va they stop you for window tint with out of state tags for the money... Stupid as hell. I wish every cop was as nice as doug in Va

My2003Mach1

Established Member
My exhaust is legal for the state in which it's registered in. Which is Florida along with the tint

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
My exhaust is legal for the state in which it's registered in. Which is Florida along with the tint

really??? "mean trooper"??? poor you. even allowing for your story to be 100% ture I don't seen anywhere that he was "mean" to you.

everything he cited you for is legit. every reason he gave you as to why you couldn't show your shit online or get your wife to bring it to you is legit.

you have a modified exhaust which is illegal in 90% of states and 100% in federal. and how do you figure it is legal in FLA? but lets assume that it is, it is NOT legal in Connecticut and that is where you live and where you are driving the car.

you have tint on your car which like above MIGHT be legal in Florida but it is illegal in Connecticut and that is where you live. you cannot be a 'resident' of more than one state for license and registration purposes. you should have either left the car in florida or registered it where you live. it was a legitimate question that you should have answered. had you done so you might have gotten a warning for the exhaust as well.

and LO****INGL at you claiming he was "profiling" you because of your loud exhaust. been a long time since we have seen anyone whining about that. you were in a line of cars ALL of whome were apparently speeding. he can pick whichever one of you he wants to pull over. your was loudest, you got picked. no "profiling" required.

if you exhaust is modified it is FEDRALLY illegal in ALL states. sounds to me like you got off easy.

fight it if you want, call his super if you want. I guarentee you that the judge will laugh you out of court and every cop in the state will be laughing at you behind your back once the story gets around.

DepWraith

Established Member
I'm a cop in Florida...any exhaust mods louder than stock is illegal. Most is these tickets are "fix it tickets", meaning if you correct the deficiency the fine is reduced. A decibel meter is not required for altered exhaust violation.

As in Florida, most states require you register your vehicle in your home of residence (where you file your taxes), doesn't matter if you own a house in each state. Plenty of "snowbirds" leave their vehicles here in Florida while they are spending their summer months "back home up north"-this is the proper way to handle your registrations.

Speeding is speeding, I would never write or web stop for five over, but some do.

Profiling is selective enforcement based on race, not loud exhaust.

If you operate a vehicle in another star it must comply with those laws...just like the places that don't allow radar detectors-just because you can somewhere else doesn't make it ok everywhere.

Having a violator summon else to a traffic stop is very bad and unsafe practice for us and I wouldn't allow it either. Not sure what you do for a living but people kill us all the time at work.

You got one ticket for something you did and warnings for the other things. I can honestly say that IMO you talked yourself into a ticket by not answering his registration questions (which he was correct in asking, it's a relevant question for the vehicle being operated).

Tips when getting stopped by police to avoid tickets:
1. Comply with lawful orders and answer their questions.
2. Believe me, they will tell you why you were stopped.
3. Have all required paperwork.
4. Don't argue, the roadside is not the place for that.
5. Don't tell them you know how to do their job because you know someone who does, that's ridiculous.
6. There are many others but too lengthy to list them all.

I hope this helps you understand your incident. If you or anyone else ever has any questions, feel free to pm or ask me, especially in regards to Florida law enforcement.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
really??? "mean trooper"??? poor you. even allowing for your story to be 100% ture I don't seen anywhere that he was "mean" to you.

everything he cited you for is legit. every reason he gave you as to why you couldn't show your shit online or get your wife to bring it to you is legit.

you have a modified exhaust which is illegal in 90% of states and 100% in federal. and how do you figure it is legal in FLA? but lets assume that it is, it is NOT legal in Connecticut and that is where you live and where you are driving the car.

you have tint on your car which like above MIGHT be legal in Florida but it is illegal in Connecticut and that is where you live. you cannot be a 'resident' of more than one state for license and registration purposes. you should have either left the car in florida or registered it where you live. it was a legitimate question that you should have answered. had you done so you might have gotten a warning for the exhaust as well.

and LO****INGL at you claiming he was "profiling" you because of your loud exhaust. been a long time since we have seen anyone whining about that. you were in a line of cars ALL of whome were apparently speeding. he can pick whichever one of you he wants to pull over. your was loudest, you got picked. no "profiling" required.

if you exhaust is modified it is FEDRALLY illegal in ALL states. sounds to me like you got off easy.

fight it if you want, call his super if you want. I guarentee you that the judge will laugh you out of court and every cop in the state will be laughing at you behind your back once the story gets around.

Thanks for your reply I was still upset when I wrote this today and I was just looking for a bit of understanding
You must be a police officer or just a rude ****..

I was only looking for constructive feedback and direction. I'm not an officer I do not know that actual laws that's why I'm asking for correct direction. You don't have to be a condescending prick

For the record my exhaust is a full complete exhaust period.
My car for the record is up here in Connecticut temporaily and for what ever the reason is I'm intittled to drive it wherever. It's not mandatory that I answer any questions.

I'm not here to argue I am simply looking for some understanding and direction.
I don't have a history of getting pulled over

I also understand that you were not there so you could not comment on the officers demeanor and his condisending tone
I just felt he had no reason to talk down to me.

Maybe asking a police officer in here is a bad idea
You have a tendency to defend one another whether right or wrong.

Thanks for your reply

My2003Mach1

Established Member
I'm a cop in Florida...any exhaust mods louder than stock is illegal. Most is these tickets are "fix it tickets", meaning if you correct the deficiency the fine is reduced. A decibel meter is not required for altered exhaust violation.

As in Florida, most states require you register your vehicle in your home of residence (where you file your taxes), doesn't matter if you own a house in each state. Plenty of "snowbirds" leave their vehicles here in Florida while they are spending their summer months "back home up north"-this is the proper way to handle your registrations.

Speeding is speeding, I would never write or web stop for five over, but some do.

Profiling is selective enforcement based on race, not loud exhaust.

If you operate a vehicle in another star it must comply with those laws...just like the places that don't allow radar detectors-just because you can somewhere else doesn't make it ok everywhere.

Having a violator summon else to a traffic stop is very bad and unsafe practice for us and I wouldn't allow it either. Not sure what you do for a living but people kill us all the time at work.

You got one ticket for something you did and warnings for the other things. I can honestly say that IMO you talked yourself into a ticket by not answering his registration questions (which he was correct in asking, it's a relevant question for the vehicle being operated).

Tips when getting stopped by police to avoid tickets:
1. Comply with lawful orders and answer their questions.
2. Believe me, they will tell you why you were stopped.
3. Have all required paperwork.
4. Don't argue, the roadside is not the place for that.
5. Don't tell them you know how to do their job because you know someone who does, that's ridiculous.
6. There are many others but too lengthy to list them all.

I hope this helps you understand your incident. If you or anyone else ever has any questions, feel free to pm or ask me, especially in regards to Florida law enforcement.

Thank you excellent information and mature reply

Exactly what I was hoping for from posting up

I know when airing my laundry out on a site I'm subjecting my self to duche bags

I normally keep my mustang down in Florida
Since I have three other cars reg in CT
My mustang is just a fun car instead of having to rent a car in Florida everytime I come down

Driving all that way it just too much on me.

Once again thanks for the good info

Poppacapp

Established Member
Take it to court here in Va they stop you for window tint with out of state tags for the money... Stupid as hell. I wish every cop was as nice as doug in Va

You are only required to meet the state's laws that your vehicle is registered in... ie. tint, front plate etc. etc... If another state has lighter tint requirements, tough dookie. You meet you local states requirements.

Warrior627

Established Member
I am not a LEO, and have no input on the out of state reg, but I do unfortunately have experience in being pulled over for loud exhaust:nonono:
1) you talked way too much to the police officer imo, I would have left most of that info for court.
2) the fine is for loud exhaust, and he had no decibel reading, and told you it was his opinion. I'd look up your laws in CT and find out before court what CT considers over the limit decibel wise and whether or not a meter is required to determine that . I'd also bring in a copy of your most recent state inspection report and let the judge know that it passed with no problems or issues, and it's helped me to bring my receipts for my exhaust system.
3) what is considered loud to one person may not be loud to another, that's why they have meters.

Best of luck man, worth a morning in court to clear this up imo

My2003Mach1

Established Member
You are only required to meet the state's laws that your vehicle is registered in... ie. tint, front plate etc. etc... If another state has lighter tint requirements, tough dookie. You meet you local states requirements.

I figured this also.

Also my friend who is a police officer here in CT just got shift or home from shift and sent me this

Send it in not guilty along with documentation indicating your Florida residence. Also indicate that despite the fact that you are compliant in Florida there was no sound metering done that is clearly indicated in CGS 14-80a(a) that is a requisite of 14-80a.

See below:
Sec. 14-80a. Maximum noise levels. (a) No person shall operate a vehicle or combination of vehicles, nor shall the owner of any vehicle allow the vehicle to be operated, at any time or under any condition of grade, surface, speed, load, acceleration, deceleration or weather condition in such a manner as to exceed the decibel levels established under subsection (c) of this section. This subsection applies to the total noise generated by a vehicle and shall not be construed as limiting or precluding the enforcement of any other motor vehicle noise provisions of this title.

(b) No person shall sell or offer for sale a new vehicle which produces a maximum decibel level which exceeds the decibel levels established under subsection (c) of this section.

(c) The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles shall, with the advice of the Commissioner of Environmental Protection, adopt regulations in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54 establishing the maximum decibel levels permissible for motor vehicles, which shall not exceed the maximum decibel levels established for motor vehicles by federal law or regulation. The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles shall establish the procedure for checking maximum decibel levels. The decibel level shall be measured fifty feet from the centerline of the vehicle. The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles may provide for measuring at distances closer than fifty feet from the centerline of the vehicle. In such a case, the measuring devices shall be calibrated to provide for measurements equivalent to the noise limit established by this section measured at fifty feet.

Let me know where that gets you and I will follow up with his boss. The ticket needs to be fought independently from the poor attitude of the trooper.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Thanks for your reply I was still upset when I wrote this today and I was just looking for a bit of understanding
You must be a police officer or just a rude ****..
no a cop. nor do I pretend to be one. don't think I was particularly "rude". I was straight up and told you like it is. apparently something you are not used to

I was only looking for constructive feedback and direction. I'm not an officer I do not know that actual laws that's why I'm asking for correct direction. You don't have to be a condescending prick
at 40+ you should have been able to figure this out for yourself. and you probably should spend some time reading the rules of SVTP if you are going to continue to insult outside of smackdown. While my answer to you may have hurt your feelings and may have been more direct than you are acustomed to. I did not insult you.
For the record my exhaust is a full complete exhaust period.
it is an after market exhaust? or the one that came on the car. if it came on the car you can get the ticket dismissed. I am betting that it is NOT the one that came on the car however. considering your careful wording of your answer to the cop and your continued avoidence of the obvious question.
My car for the record is up here in Connecticut temporaily and for what ever the reason is I'm intittled to drive it wherever.
for someone that seems to like the term "for the record" you apparently don't seem to think the records apply to you. it doesn't matter where it is "temporaily". you are obligated to have your car in a legal condition to drive it in the state you are IN or driving through. Most LEOs will cut you a break if you are just passing through. you chose to circumvent the law and got caught.

It's not mandatory that I answer any questions.
while this is true, your complaining about the results of your not answering will not garner you a lot of sympathy, which is really what you are looking for.
I'm not here to argue I am simply looking for some understanding and direction.
I don't have a history of getting pulled over
ok :shrug:
I also understand that you were not there so you could not comment on the officers demeanor and his condisending tone
I just felt he had no reason to talk down to me.
considering the amount of butthurt over my initial response and the way you wrote the OP I am betting you get your feelings easily hurt and that the cop was not nearly as "mean" as you are trying to portray him
Maybe asking a police officer in here is a bad idea
the response after mine was from a FLORIDA LEO, he told you the exact same thing I did only in a more coddeling tone.
You have a tendency to defend one another whether right or wrong.
horseshit. first as stated above I am NOT an LEO. Secondly the guys here are more than willing to call a bad cop a bad cop. but when someone is complaining about a justified stop and how unfair it is the instances of a "bad Cop" vs a "perceived bad cop" are heavily in favor of the "Perceived bad cop"
Thanks for your reply
anytime :beer:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
this is NOT true. It has been said in this forum more than once by LEO's that you are required to meet the laws of the state you are driving through and if you car does NOT meet those standards you can be pulled over and given a ticket.

That being said MOST jurisdictions will cut you a break if you are just passing through. but they do not have to.

In the Ops case they were perfectly justified in stopping him and giving him the ticket because of WHERE HIS RESIDENCE is. regardless of where the car is registered.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member

Not totally true. By VA law 46.2-1052, ANY motor vehicle operated in this state CANNOT be driven with front window tint darker than 50% or rear tint darker than 35%.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
your buddy is an idiot if he steps into this. he can certainly give you advice but to step in with the other officer is not good form or practice and can get him into some hot water in some places.

and I will suggest again that you go read the rules about insults outside of smackdown.

and if you DO take his advice, and send it "proof of your florida residence" you better have PROOF that your exhaust is legal down there and have an explination ready as to why you are claiming residency in florida when you have the rest of your documentation saying you are a resident of connecticut

I figured this also.

Also my friend who is a police officer here in CT just got shift or home from shift and sent me this

Send it in not guilty along with documentation indicating your Florida residence. Also indicate that despite the fact that you are compliant in Florida there was no sound metering done that is clearly indicated in CGS 14-80a(a) that is a requisite of 14-80a.

See below:
Sec. 14-80a. Maximum noise levels. (a) No person shall operate a vehicle or combination of vehicles, nor shall the owner of any vehicle allow the vehicle to be operated, at any time or under any condition of grade, surface, speed, load, acceleration, deceleration or weather condition in such a manner as to exceed the decibel levels established under subsection (c) of this section. This subsection applies to the total noise generated by a vehicle and shall not be construed as limiting or precluding the enforcement of any other motor vehicle noise provisions of this title.

(b) No person shall sell or offer for sale a new vehicle which produces a maximum decibel level which exceeds the decibel levels established under subsection (c) of this section.

(c) The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles shall, with the advice of the Commissioner of Environmental Protection, adopt regulations in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54 establishing the maximum decibel levels permissible for motor vehicles, which shall not exceed the maximum decibel levels established for motor vehicles by federal law or regulation. The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles shall establish the procedure for checking maximum decibel levels. The decibel level shall be measured fifty feet from the centerline of the vehicle. The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles may provide for measuring at distances closer than fifty feet from the centerline of the vehicle. In such a case, the measuring devices shall be calibrated to provide for measurements equivalent to the noise limit established by this section measured at fifty feet.

Let me know where that gets you and I will follow up with his boss. The ticket needs to be fought independently from the poor attitude of the trooper.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Great information everyone

RDJ. Yes I took your post to heart. Man enough to admit that

I also don't want anyone to think I'm trying to hide behind ignorance though I might come off that way

Having understanding and knowing why is more than half the battle

I am for sure wrong on all counts I just don't expect to be pulled over while keeping with the flow of traffic.

I understand that my mustang or having a car like these automatically attract attention and sometimes it's going to be unwanted attention

It just sucked... At the time it felt like the moser info I offered the officer the more he hung me on Ill have to learn to think before answering or how I want to respond

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Your vehicle only has to comply with the laws and ordinances of the state that it is registered in. For Example, if the state your car is registered allows for pretty dark window tinting and you are temporarily in another state that has a restrictive window tent law. You are fine. They cannot hold you accountable for the other states law. Think of it this way, hypotheticly, you live in SC and you are going to GA for a day then to return home. You are not expected to comply just because you are "passing through".

This comes from a lawyer friend of mine. If you ever feel you are really right and the officer was really wrong, you have the right to request a jury trial even for a traffic violation. According to him, unless you go to court and show your butt, juries aquit better than 98% of the time in traffic court. Also according to him always be nice to the officer but at the same time always remember this when dealing with an officer, sorry about what I am about to say DepWraith, Officers only enforce the law, they rarely know anything about the law. He went on to validate that by saying that is why we have courts, lawyers and judges, to sort all that out.

I have had good experiances with cops, even if they ticket me, and bad experiances. Too much to type but I had one pull me over years ago and I swear he was mad at something before he ever stopped me because he practicly yelled at me and spit at me, mostly because he was yelling and the way he pronounced things, and I had not said a word to him at that point. All I asked myself was, who pissed in his corn flakes that morning. Everyone is human. You should be nice and he should be nice right back.

Good luck. I have managed to get out of more than a few tickets because I really try to be nice to the cop and use my "speaking to a really good friend" voice and mannor of speach.

The Snake

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
and I am sure your friend is a lawyer in connecticut and has vast amounts of legal expertiese there right?

Your vehicle only has to comply with the laws and ordinances of the state that it is registered in. For Example, if the state your car is registered allows for pretty dark window tinting and you are temporarily in another state that has a restrictive window tent law. You are fine. They cannot hold you accountable for the other states law. Think of it this way, hypotheticly, you live in SC and you are going to GA for a day then to return home. You are not expected to comply just because you are "passing through".

This comes from a lawyer friend of mine. If you ever feel you are really right and the officer was really wrong, you have the right to request a jury trial even for a traffic violation. According to him, unless you go to court and show your butt, juries aquit better than 98% of the time in traffic court. Also according to him always be nice to the officer but at the same time always remember this when dealing with an officer, sorry about what I am about to say DepWraith, Officers only enforce the law, they rarely know anything about the law. He went on to validate that by saying that is why we have courts, lawyers and judges, to sort all that out.

I have had good experiances with cops, even if they ticket me, and bad experiances. Too much to type but I had one pull me over years ago and I swear he was mad at something before he ever stopped me because he practicly yelled at me and spit at me, mostly because he was yelling and the way he pronounced things, and I had not said a word to him at that point. All I asked myself was, who pissed in his corn flakes that morning. Everyone is human. You should be nice and he should be nice right back.

Good luck. I have managed to get out of more than a few tickets because I really try to be nice to the cop and use my "speaking to a really good friend" voice and mannor of speach.

The Snake

My2003Mach1

Established Member

The Snake

removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread