Stopped for speeding 70MPH in a 65MPOH zone Mean Trooper Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
No, and he was talking in some generic terms, that was understood when we were having the conversation the day all that sort of thing came up. He is actually a lawyer in GA and a friend of mine from the SCCA. We autocross together sometimes. What generated this comment from what I said? Just curious.

The Snake

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Damn RDJ wth is your deal dude? Why are you so mad? No need to attack anyone. Where are you getting all your information? Are you in Ct? Do you practice law?

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
I understand. I can always read the body language when I get pulled driving my Vert and they walk up expecting to see a kid and I end up being older than the officer, LOL.

Good example of, and I will use the term because I cant think of anything else right now that fits, profiling is this sort of thing, is the Anti-cruising laws. I have never tried this, but I would almost lay money on this experiment being valid. I am in my Vert with the top down so I can be easily seen inside my car from a distance. I do everything that is defined as cruising. I probably would not be bothered. Now my 24 year old son gets in and drives my car and does exactly the same thing I had just done. I bet he would be stopped. Just the way it is. Doesnt make it right.

The Snake

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I made a suggestion to you seeing as how your insults were directed at me I was not out of line. Would you rather I had reported you to the mods? I mean I can do that if you would rather.

I said your post was whining ... I did not insult you personally, I did not call you a "duch" (your spelling) i could go on but you should get my point by now.

as far as not being an LEO I have been on this board since 2002. I have been hanging out in the Donut shop since about day one. Some of what I say is based on experience, some of it on research when someone has asked similar questions and some of it is based on what has been posted by LEOs, Lawyers, and Prosecutors in this very forum.

You should find it telling that what I posted initially follows exactly (altho in more direct language) what DepWraith told you. And what I said about being stopped if your vehicle is not in compliance with the state you are TRAVELING in you can be stopped and ticketed directly follows what silver03svt said about VA. it is the same in most other states as well. it has been explained in this forum multiple times in exactly the same was as I gave it to you. You CAN be stopped and you CAN be ticketed, that does not mean you WILL be stopped or you WILL be ticketed. Most LEOs cut interstate travellers some slack. I have been stopped in OK while passing through for tint. didn't get a ticket but I WAS stopped.

as far as the rules go I have read them and while I skirt the line, I receive infractions when I cross it.

RDJ dude maybe you need to slow your roll. How about you leave the monitoring up to the moderators.
I know the rules You ca me a whinner I call you a dick Maybe you could read those same rules or read the rule where maybe your too intense out of SD and you might need to chill esp when I'm admitting humble

Your not a LEO? So how do you know the laws? How do you know the "code of honor" a police officer keeps?

Where are you getting a your "legal" information ?

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
No, and he was talking in some generic terms, that was understood when we were having the conversation the day all that sort of thing came up. He is actually a lawyer in GA and a friend of mine from the SCCA. We autocross together sometimes. What generated this comment from what I said? Just curious.

The Snake
it was generated because his comments go directly contrary to what has been posted in this forum numerous times bye LEO, Lawyers, and Prosecutors. it also goes counter to everything I have found when researching this kind of question. His advice may hold true in GA (don't think it does and will have to do some looking around) but what holds true in GA does not necessarily hold true in CT. Or in OK where I was stopped as I was passing through for TINT. I was legal in my state but it was too dark for OK and so he stopped me. found out what I was doing (passing thourgh) and he cut me loose since my tags, matched my drivers license and registration. something the OPs did not so the cop was justified in stopping and asking.

Damn RDJ wth is your deal dude? Why are you so mad? No need to attack anyone. Where are you getting all your information? Are you in Ct? Do you practice law?
you assumption that I am "angry" is way off the mark. but people that don't like the way I put things generally read it as "anger" usually when something I say gets them butt hurt. do a search of this forum. or spend some time trying to prove me wrong. you won't be able to do it.

I Either way it def was not fair at all.
how was it "not fair at all"? you admit you were speeding, you admit your exhaust, while maybe legal in FL is not legal in CT, you didn't have your registration with you, you accused him of "profiling" when he wasn't, your tint was illegal for CT where your RESIDENCE is ad you pay taxes, then you throw out "my cousin's a trooper and I know how cops work" like that is supposed to mean something. everything he did was fair. AND he cut you a major break by not giving you tickets for the rest of the stuff, including speeding. by rights you should have had 4 tickets at least and you walked away with one.

then to top it off you come in here asking for "feedback" and "direction" and bitch because the "feedback" you got wasn't the sympathy you were looking for.

maybe you're right maybe it isn't fair. OMG it's NOT fair. you should call the cop up and tell him that you think he wasn't being fair and see if he will write you those other tickets since that would be "fair" since you deserved every one of them

You were pretty fortunate OP. Received quite a few warnings.

I do think its a big mistake arguing with a PO on the basis for writing you up. A loud exhaust ticket is not a challenge to get dismissed if in fact you have a perfect driving record. Most prosecutors and judges are fairly lenient and will work with you if your record is what you say it is.

You're actually pretty fortunate that those warnings didn't come back as actual citations.

And its not difficult for any PO to discern between a oem or aftermarket exhaust in states that have noise ordinances related to aftermarket exhausts. That just goes without saying and getting into debates like that with a PO, where you insult their intelligence, is not going to get a very good response.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
You were pretty fortunate OP. Received quite a few warnings.

I do think its a big mistake arguing with a PO on the basis for writing you up. A loud exhaust ticket is not a challenge to get dismissed if in fact you have a perfect driving record. Most prosecutors and judges are fairly lenient and will work with you if your record is what you say it is.

You're actually pretty fortunate that those warnings didn't come back as actual citations.

And its not difficult for any PO to discern between a oem or aftermarket exhaust in states that have noise ordinances related to aftermarket exhausts. That just goes without saying and getting into debates like that with a PO, where you insult their intelligence, is not going to get a very good response.

Thank you.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Question

If my ticket has warnings
Ie warning for not being reg in CT w/ 30 to get it reg
Does that mean its been reported and that I will recieve a letter to comply?

If so I think I'll just plead not guilty
Produce documents and a letter from the care taker that watches the house and cars there.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
I have 30 days to reg my vehicle in the state of Connecticut, that I have both a Connecticut drivers lic and that my Florida registration has my Connecticut mailing address on it.

I am sure the judge will get a nice solid facepalm out of this when you explain that your car is plated in Florida, and that you have property in Florida, but the actual Florida registration lists your Connecticut address.:bash:

My2003Mach1

Established Member
I am sure the judge will get a nice solid facepalm out of this when you explain that your car is plated in Florida, and that you have property in Florida, but the actual Florida registration lists your Connecticut address.:bash:

It list my Connecticut address as a forward mailing address

It shows my Florida address on the reg.

And ! If this is the case. All could be fixed by selling/ trasfeing the title into my relatives name that lives in florida 100% yr round Then what??? Then I can drive it all I want in CT or any other state...

Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Established Member
RDJ dude maybe you need to slow your roll. How about you leave the monitoring up to the moderators.
I know the rules You ca me a whinner I call you a dick Maybe you could read those same rules or read the rule where maybe your too intense out of SD and you might need to chill esp when I'm admitting humble

Your not a LEO? So how do you know the laws? How do you know the "code of honor" a police officer keeps?

Where are you getting a your "legal" information ?

You didn't read the rules. If you did, you wouldn't call him a dick outside of SD. Read them again, but slowly so you understand them. You're begging for infractions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My2003Mach1

Established Member
You didn't read the rules. If you did, you wouldn't call him a dick outside of SD. Read them again, but slowly so you understand them. You're begging for infractions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Ill be back then. Wait here

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Thank you those of you that weere without sarcasm and replied construtivly

Thank you SVTP Please close

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Your vehicle only has to comply with the laws and ordinances of the state that it is registered in. For Example, if the state your car is registered allows for pretty dark window tinting and you are temporarily in another state that has a restrictive window tent law. You are fine. They cannot hold you accountable for the other states law. Think of it this way, hypotheticly, you live in SC and you are going to GA for a day then to return home. You are not expected to comply just because you are "passing through".
This comes from a lawyer friend of mine. If you ever feel you are really right and the officer was really wrong, you have the right to request a jury trial even for a traffic violation. According to him, unless you go to court and show your butt, juries aquit better than 98% of the time in traffic court. Also according to him always be nice to the officer but at the same time always remember this when dealing with an officer, sorry about what I am about to say DepWraith, Officers only enforce the law, they rarely know anything about the law. He went on to validate that by saying that is why we have courts, lawyers and judges, to sort all that out.

I have had good experiances with cops, even if they ticket me, and bad experiances. Too much to type but I had one pull me over years ago and I swear he was mad at something before he ever stopped me because he practicly yelled at me and spit at me, mostly because he was yelling and the way he pronounced things, and I had not said a word to him at that point. All I asked myself was, who pissed in his corn flakes that morning. Everyone is human. You should be nice and he should be nice right back.

Good luck. I have managed to get out of more than a few tickets because I really try to be nice to the cop and use my "speaking to a really good friend" voice and mannor of speach.

The Snake

Please read post #14...you're lawyer friend isn't as smart as he thinks.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
is that quote of VA law paraphrased or a direct quote? Almost all the vehicular laws read "ANY Vehicle operated AND registered in the state of VA shall...

The way you are defining the meaning it would be chaos out there to drive from state to state. We would all be breaking some vehicle law because there is no uniform standard on some things about our vehicles.

Do not remember when CA had quirky vehicle laws that only applied to CA and none of the other 49 states. I do. If things were the way you thought, no one could ever drive an out of state car into CA back then.

The Snake

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
is that quote of VA law paraphrased or a direct quote? Almost all the vehicular laws read "ANY Vehicle operated AND registered in the state of VA shall...

The way you are defining the meaning it would be chaos out there to drive from state to state. We would all be breaking some vehicle law because there is no uniform standard on some things about our vehicles.

Do not remember when CA had quirky vehicle laws that only applied to CA and none of the other 49 states. I do. If things were the way you thought, no one could ever drive an out of state car into CA back then.

The Snake

Here is the first paragraph of the VA tint law.

§ 46.2-1052. Tinting films, signs, decals, and stickers on windshields, etc.; penalties.

A. Except as otherwise provided in this article or permitted by federal law, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle on a highway with any sign, poster, colored or tinted film, sun-shading material, or other colored material on the windshield, front or rear side windows, or rear windows of such motor vehicle. This provision, however, shall not apply to any certificate or other paper required by law or permitted by the Superintendent to be placed on a motor vehicle's windshield or window.

Headlight statute for comparison. Applies to all vehicles, not just VA registered.

§ 46.2-1011. Headlights on motor vehicles.

Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, road roller, road machinery, or tractor used on a highway shall be equipped with at least two headlights as approved by the Superintendent, at the front of and on opposite sides of the motor vehicle.

And the Center High Mount Stop Light statute (3rd brake light). VA REGISTERED ONLY PASSENGER VEHICLES.

§ 46.2-1014.1. Supplemental high mount stop light.

Whenever operated on the highways, every Virginia-registered passenger car manufactured for the 1986 or subsequent model year shall be equipped with a supplemental center high mount stop light of a type approved by the Superintendent or which meets the standards adopted by the United States Department of Transportation. The light shall be mounted as near the vertical center line of the vehicle as possible. The light shall be actuated only in conjunction with the vehicle's brake lights and hazard lights. Any supplemental high mount stop light installed on any other vehicle shall comply with those requirements

I will stand by my statement that it is designated by each individuals state statute as to the legality of whether equipment violations from other states are enforceable or not. It's not guesswork here, it is plain black and white. I am not saying that somebody WILL get a ticket for it, but it CAN happen, and does.

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Few questions

1. Can somebody provide a link to where it is Federal Law that you cannot change the exhaust on your car. All I can find is law stating that you have to have a working exhaust system. Nothing else more detailed has been found on my search. If it where illegal you would think that it would all have to be listed as "Off Road Use Only" like Catless Mid-Pipes are. I think maybe a sticky to these Federal Laws stating that everyone on this site is breaking Federal Laws would be great.

2. How can a state expect you to be compliant with every law governing what they specifically say can or cannot be done to a car? Are you supposed to stop at the border and change everything before you enter? I do not see how something like that could hold up in court. In Pennsylvania alone the laws vary from County to County. Some counties require emission testing and others do not. So, could you be cited in a county that requires emission testing for not having it because you live in a county that does not?

3. States have different age requirements for licensing, say a 16 year old with a license drives into a state that you have to be 18, can he/she be arrested for driving a car illegally?

Sounds like SEMA would have a field day legally with some of this stuff along with some lawyers.

Not trying to start anything, just get some answers as to how this can be legal. And as to what is illegal or legal.

I know California has their own standards and compliant vehicle. Can you get into trouble for driving a non California certified car into California. One that is not CARB Certified?

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
You arent the only one tonight going round and round with those concepts. As far as the little "details" beyond having an exhaust system and CATs from a certain yr model forward, pretty sure that is state defined territory

The Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread