Stopped for speeding 70MPH in a 65MPOH zone Mean Trooper Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
You need to learn how to downshift. This whole scenario could have been avoided.

U.M.

There is a little town in Pennsylvania that has a nice twisty road leading to it in the mountains that has a huge sign saying "No Engine Braking", OP needs ths on his dash.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Here is the first paragraph of the VA tint law.

§ 46.2-1052. Tinting films, signs, decals, and stickers on windshields, etc.; penalties.

A. Except as otherwise provided in this article or permitted by federal law, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle on a highway with any sign, poster, colored or tinted film, sun-shading material, or other colored material on the windshield, front or rear side windows, or rear windows of such motor vehicle. This provision, however, shall not apply to any certificate or other paper required by law or permitted by the Superintendent to be placed on a motor vehicle's windshield or window.

Headlight statute for comparison. Applies to all vehicles, not just VA registered.

§ 46.2-1011. Headlights on motor vehicles.

Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, road roller, road machinery, or tractor used on a highway shall be equipped with at least two headlights as approved by the Superintendent, at the front of and on opposite sides of the motor vehicle.

And the Center High Mount Stop Light statute (3rd brake light). VA REGISTERED ONLY PASSENGER VEHICLES.

§ 46.2-1014.1. Supplemental high mount stop light.

Whenever operated on the highways, every Virginia-registered passenger car manufactured for the 1986 or subsequent model year shall be equipped with a supplemental center high mount stop light of a type approved by the Superintendent or which meets the standards adopted by the United States Department of Transportation. The light shall be mounted as near the vertical center line of the vehicle as possible. The light shall be actuated only in conjunction with the vehicle's brake lights and hazard lights. Any supplemental high mount stop light installed on any other vehicle shall comply with those requirements

I will stand by my statement that it is designated by each individuals state statute as to the legality of whether equipment violations from other states are enforceable or not. It's not guesswork here, it is plain black and white. I am not saying that somebody WILL get a ticket for it, but it CAN happen, and does.

Those laws are intended fkr, and applied to permanent residents lf the state. You can charge all you want.. but an out of state vehicle with darker tint than the state allows who is passing through will fairly quickly be able to have the citation dismissed when they prove their home state allows it. The overzealous officer would be wasting his time.

DepWraith

Established Member
I've been a road cop for 18 years in 2 different states.

State Motor vehicle laws apply to EVERY vehicle operated on the roadways of that particular state, REGARDLESS of the place of registration (which is your LEGAL RESIDENCE; and dumbed down means where you go to sleep every night and not just where you may own a piece of property.)

Every state will accept the drivers license of residents of other states and is a completely different subject than vehicle equipment laws.

With that said, LEO's generally give out of state drivers warning for equipment violations such as tint and exhaust because it can and does vary from state to state.

Despite the beliefs of some, we are normal people, and understand that if you are visiting another state and aren't aware of the laws there that you may violate a minor traffic law without intent. Even if you did know the law, we understand you aren't going to remove the tint or change the exhaust for the trip, lol.

I'm not sure how to explain it any easier to anyone, but if anyone still has questions or if their really smart lawyer friends still have any questions, I'm here to ask.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Those laws are intended fkr, and applied to permanent residents lf the state. You can charge all you want.. but an out of state vehicle with darker tint than the state allows who is passing through will fairly quickly be able to have the citation dismissed when they prove their home state allows it. The overzealous officer would be wasting his time.

I am not being a smartass here, but you obviously have never had a Virginia summons for window tint on your NC registered car. If you would like, I am sure I can dig up a few cases where I can EASILY prove your statement false. I promise that on I-95 (where I patrol up north of Richmond) plenty of out of state drivers get tickets for out of state tint and get CONVICTED even when they show up for court.

SVT GT

Established Member
CT laws states that you can have window tint at 35% max. CT law is you need cats and some mufflers for your exhaust that's it. Cops can not just say your car is loud and give you a ticket with out a decibel meter. This has been done and tried many times in West Haven and a very good portion was thrown out. A few times this was sent over to the DMV to take a decibel reading. A warning for 70 on a 65 you got off lucky with that. I have had a good driving record for a very long time now, until a few months ago. I had a cop, a kid no more than the age of 25, stop me for "speeding" on I95. I was doing 70 in a 65 but he wrote me down for 81 in a 65. He didn't ask to much questions on the car, just one strange question asking if I'm a member of the NRA. Taking this to court I feel this kid was not trained enough on doing speed control and singled out just because I had a Mustang and a NRA member. Good luck in your case. Just remember the vast majority of cops in CT are ^&*% and don't care about the public. All they want to do is follow orders and hope someone gives them trouble. They feel joe q public is beneath them. The police here get away with a lot and walk around with impunity. Get a car cam for you vehicles, your best bet here in CT.

DepWraith

Established Member
CT laws states that you can have window tint at 35% max. CT law is you need cats and some mufflers for your exhaust that's it. Cops can not just say your car is loud and give you a ticket with out a decibel meter. This has been done and tried many times in West Haven and a very good portion was thrown out. A few times this was sent over to the DMV to take a decibel reading. A warning for 70 on a 65 you got off lucky with that. I have had a good driving record for a very long time now, until a few months ago. I had a cop, a kid no more than the age of 25, stop me for "speeding" on I95. I was doing 70 in a 65 but he wrote me down for 81 in a 65. He didn't ask to much questions on the car, just one strange question asking if I'm a member of the NRA. Taking this to court I feel this kid was not trained enough on doing speed control and singled out just because I had a Mustang and a NRA member. Good luck in your case. Just remember the vast majority of cops in CT are ^&*% and don't care about the public. All they want to do is follow orders and hope someone gives them trouble. They feel joe q public is beneath them. The police here get away with a lot and walk around with impunity. Get a car cam for you vehicles, your best bet here in CT.

Wrong...

Read Paragraph (b) if you don't think aftermarket mufflers are unusual or unnecessary as described in Paragraph (a).

Paragraph (g) defines the fine amount for the law you said doesn't exist. Since this law deals with mechanical devices, no decibel meter is needed for enforcement as the sound level is not being contested, the mechanical device is the issue.

Sec. 14-80. Mechanical equipment. (a) Each motor vehicle and the devices on such vehicle shall be operated, equipped, constructed and adjusted to prevent unnecessary or unusual noise.

(b) Each motor vehicle operated by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped, except as hereinafter provided, with a muffler or mufflers designed to prevent excessive, unusual or unnecessary exhaust noise. The muffler or mufflers shall be maintained by the owner in good working order and shall be in use whenever the motor vehicle is operated. No person, including a motor vehicle dealer or repairer or a motorcycle dealer, shall install, and no person shall use, on a motor vehicle, a muffler or mufflers lacking interior baffle plates or other effective muffling devices, a gutted muffler, a muffler cutout or a straight exhaust except when the motor vehicle is operated in a race, contest or demonstration of speed or skill as a public exhibition pursuant to subsection (a) of section 14-164a, or any mechanical device which will amplify the noise emitted by the vehicle. No person, including a motor vehicle dealer or repairer or a motorcycle dealer, shall remove all or part of any muffler on a motor vehicle except to repair or replace the muffler or part for the more effective prevention of noise. No person shall use on the exhaust system or tail pipe of a motor vehicle any extension or device which will cause excessive or unusual noise.

(c) The engine of every motor vehicle shall be equipped and adjusted to prevent excessive fumes or exhaust smoke.

(d) All pipes carrying exhaust gases from the motor shall be constructed of, and maintained with, leak-proof metal. Exhaust pipes shall be directed from the muffler or mufflers toward the rear of the vehicle and shall be approximately parallel with the longitudinal axis of the vehicle and approximately parallel to the surface of the roadway, or shall be directed from the muffler upward to a location above the cab or body of the vehicle so that fumes, gases and smoke are directed away from the occupants of the vehicle. Exhaust pipes on a passenger vehicle shall extend to the extreme rear end of the vehicle's body, not including the bumper and its attachments to the body, or shall be attached to the vehicle in such a way that the exhaust pipes direct the exhaust gases to either side of the vehicle ensuring that fresh ambient air is located under the vehicle at all times. The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles may adopt regulations in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54 to establish safety standards for passenger vehicles equipped with exhaust pipes located in front of the rear axle.

(e) Every motor vehicle shall, when operated on a highway, be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than two hundred feet, but no horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

(f) No vehicle shall be equipped with, nor shall any person use on a vehicle, any siren, whistle or bell as a warning signal device, except as otherwise permitted by this section. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with a theft alarm signal device which is so arranged that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal. Any authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with a siren, whistle or bell, capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than five hundred feet and of a type approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles. Such signal shall not be used unless the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, in which event the driver of the vehicle shall sound the signal when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of the approach of the vehicle.

(g) Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be fined one hundred fifty dollars for each offense.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been a road cop for 18 years in 2 different states.

State Motor vehicle laws apply to EVERY vehicle operated on the roadways of that particular state, REGARDLESS of the place of registration (which is your LEGAL RESIDENCE; and dumbed down means where you go to sleep every night and not just where you may own a piece of property.)

Every state will accept the drivers license of residents of other states and is a completely different subject than vehicle equipment laws.

With that said, LEO's generally give out of state drivers warning for equipment violations such as tint and exhaust because it can and does vary from state to state.

Despite the beliefs of some, we are normal people, and understand that if you are visiting another state and aren't aware of the laws there that you may violate a minor traffic law without intent. Even if you did know the law, we understand you aren't going to remove the tint or change the exhaust for the trip, lol.

I'm not sure how to explain it any easier to anyone, but if anyone still has questions or if their really smart lawyer friends still have any questions, I'm here to ask.

I am not saying you are wrong so please, do not think that. I am asking how can it be legal to have laws on the books stating that what is perfectly legal and permissive in one state for a vehicle that can cross state lines be illegal in another and allow you to enforce said law on the vehicle that is in compliance with said law in the state that vehicle is registered and inspected?

Sounds to me like the laws are setup to make money by taking advantage of allowing for differentiation in laws. I would imagine that it would just take the right group, SEMA, to file a suit.

And, if aftermarket parts are illegal then how can they be sold without a disclaimer stating they break the laws?

And about LEOs being crooked, there are good and bad just like in every profession. They have jobs to do and thanks to the asshats running this country are probably forced to be a little more picky. Our leaders have destroyed the economy so areas are hurting for money. This is probably forcing officers to be more stringent and give more tickets now where there would have been warnings before. Money has to be made or there will be no LEOs when your car or house gets broken into or you are held at gunpoint.

I see both sides of the coin.

Laws need to be written to cover the varying tolerances or their needs to be an universal set of laws.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I am not saying you are wrong so please, do not think that. I am asking how can it be legal to have laws on the books stating that what is perfectly legal and permissive in one state for a vehicle that can cross state lines be illegal in another and allow you to enforce said law on the vehicle that is in compliance with said law in the state that vehicle is registered and inspected?

Federal Government many many many years ago gave each state it's own authority to make laws as they see fit. Some states will write their laws to mirror the Code of Federal Regulations, some make them more lax, some make them more strict. We have to remember that us as LEOs do not get the opportunity to write the laws, we only enforce them. We also know that law makers are probably some of the most crooked crooks to walk the planet. Not saying they all are, but like in EVERY profession, you have bad apples in the bushel.

Sounds to me like the laws are setup to make money by taking advantage of allowing for differentiation in laws. I would imagine that it would just take the right group, SEMA, to file a suit.

Even though SEMA is a great organization for us car enthusiasts, there isn't anything that they can do because states enacting their individual laws isn't a crime or civil violation.

And, if aftermarket parts are illegal then how can they be sold without a disclaimer stating they break the laws?

Most aftermarket parts will have a disclaimer stating that the part may not be legal in all 50 states. They also will state that it is up to the consumer to check ALL local laws and regulations.

And about LEOs being crooked, there are good and bad just like in every profession. They have jobs to do and thanks to the asshats running this country are probably forced to be a little more picky. Our leaders have destroyed the economy so areas are hurting for money. This is probably forcing officers to be more stringent and give more tickets now where there would have been warnings before. Money has to be made or there will be no LEOs when your car or house gets broken into or you are held at gunpoint.

Not all LEOs are bad apples. Are the bad apples out there, absolutely. Not going to disagree there. Are laws meant as a means of producing profit for the government....that is highly debateable. After an officer's hourly salary rate, fuel costs for a cruiser for an hour, healthcare, insurance for the patrol car, insurance to cover officer liability, etc........ it would take a lot of tickets in that hour to cover all those costs. There are places that are known for STRICT enforcement policies....Emporia, VA is one....but the average patrol officer does not generate enough in normal fines to even cover half of the normal costs.

I see both sides of the coin.

Laws need to be written to cover the varying tolerances or their needs to be an universal set of laws.

A universal set of laws is the Code of Federal Regulations. But those are very generalized, and most will cover what needs/not needs to be on vehicles at the time they are manufactured. CFR does have its own moving violation and equipment codes too, though. Any federally sworn LEO can enforce CFR.

Last edited:

sleepyv

Banned
It amazes me how uptight some police in the US are and some of the laws up there are just stupid...

Wtf does it affect you if the cars exhaust is a little louder than stock. US has everything upside down. brb letting anyone collect welfare/food stamps but better be anal on people with mods to their cars and bs paperwork. No wonder your country is going down the tube.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
They act as if their shit don't stink. Man this guys are just as crooked as the next! Fact!
an over genralized exaggeration! FACT!
Just do a research of new Britain pice department...
did that and did a search for "new britain police department" as well. 5 pages of results viewed no one negative article talking about crooked cops or corruption found.
And just as we read the sad stories about cops getting hurt out there the same amount of bad cop stories ring in daily as officers 1 do not actually know the laws and how to apply them and or just flat out break the law simply because
and it is amazing how many people like yourself make comments about the law to officers when you obviously don't know the law youself. then try to pull the "I know people" card
"It's my word vs yours" or what I was told
"It was my opinion"
it WAS your opinion your OPINION was 10-% WRONG so why are you trying to use it to do anything other than show that you were wrong? you bitch about him saying it was your opinion but he was 100% correct and your opinion was wrong.
Also. If I ask you to produce your police information you better damn well give it
If you want respect you need to give it
he wasn't asking for respect. he was asking for you to proved an explination for why your documents were spread over two states and why you didn't have what you were supposed to. that is a roadside investigation and you are required to provide that information. Your situation could have ended so much worse than it did and you are still bitching about it.
When you come to my car with an asshole attitude ( as I could care less what your nights like or your day is like )
why should he care? do you give a shit what his day was like? you make ZERO allowances that maybe he was having and off day and bitch because he wasn't concerned about how your day went? what should he have done? pulled up a chair and offered you a shoulder to cry on? get real man why should he care about your day anymore than you care about his?
You are as a police officer a servant to the public
You are to protect and serve. Not strong arm form opinions or pass judgment
this is horseshit right here. I agree that they are not there to strong arm, but they can certainly form opinions as far as passing judgement from your story and your posts here I would say he was justified in "passing judgement"
Get off your damn horse and do the job that your paid to do, if you don't like it, quit!! You chose that path
I don't vote you in.
And! Regarless of my additude good or bad it is your job! To protect and serve. PERIOD
he did EXCACTLY that and yet you still bitch about it.
So as far as "coming on to the donut shop" and whining about tickets
So goes it with coming on to the donut hole with an arrogant additude!
horse shit. This is a PRIVATE forum and LEOs can come in here with any attitude they please. maybe you should read the rules of the donut shop as well seeing as you apparently missed those.
Now I know many will come back with a shit load but fact is fact. Sometimes you have to eat shit tooo
I ate mine kyesterday
and with your post being so aff the wall, wrong headed, bitchy, and full of inaccuricies you will eat some more shit today. and rightly so

My2003Mach1

Established Member
It amazes me how uptight some police in the US are and some of the laws up there are just stupid...

Wtf does it affect you if the cars exhaust is a little louder than stock. US has everything upside down. brb letting anyone collect welfare/food stamps but better be anal on people with mods to their cars and bs paperwork. No wonder your country is going down the tube.

Agreed!!! Very true. Mess with me just bc you don't like my car. My exhaust ( as was I was told during my stop) hypocrites

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

you must be a canuk(sic).

sleepyv

Banned
you must be a canuk(sic).

I'm actually an american but live in Latin America.

You'd be surprised how much happier people are down here. If I want to I can drive a ****ing drag car down the street and no one will say a thing, or I can drive with open headers etc. Who the **** cares what I do with MY shit.. If I crash my non street legal car I'll probably die but I'd bet a woman texting is much more dangerous than a guy driving a drag car down the road. Or is my loud exhaust going to kill a van full of babies?

America is just turning into a socialist pot hole or retardation. I really feel bad seeing how the country is transforming so brutally...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
yes .. lets compare what you can do in a developing nation with few laws and little consideration for safety or the environment, and pollution out the ass with the U.S. SUCH a valid comparison. apples and bananas much?

and THIS statement:
No wonder your country is going down the tube.
I would wager that you are not much for being an U.S. Citizen either.

I'm actually an american but live in Latin America.

You'd be surprised how much happier people are down here. If I want to I can drive a ****ing drag car down the street and no one will say a thing, or I can drive with open headers etc. Who the **** cares what I do with MY shit.. If I crash my non street legal car I'll probably die but I'd bet a woman texting is much more dangerous than a guy driving a drag car down the road. Or is my loud exhaust going to kill a van full of babies?

America is just turning into a socialist pot hole or retardation. I really feel bad seeing how the country is transforming so brutally...

sleepyv

Banned
yes .. lets compare what you can do in a developing nation with few laws and little consideration for safety or the environment, and pollution out the ass with the U.S. SUCH a valid comparison. apples and bananas much?

and THIS statement:
I would wager that you are not much for being an U.S. Citizen either.

brb enforcing every single law possible on earth and still having extremely high crime rates.

I don't really want to be a US citizen right now, no, because we are turning into the very thing the US was founded against. Brb illegal targetting of political groups, illegal wire taps, going after reporters, taking from rich giving to poor, encouraging entitlement, running such a massive deficit economy that it will never recover. I'd wager there is more freedom and opportunity in developing country than in the US right now.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
brb enforcing every single law possible on earth and still having extremely high crime rates.

I don't really want to be a US citizen right now, no, because we are turning into the very thing the US was founded against. Brb illegal targetting of political groups, illegal wire taps, going after reporters, taking from rich giving to poor, encouraging entitlement, running such a massive deficit economy that it will never recover. I'd wager there is more freedom and opportunity in developing country than in the US right now.
what the **** does "brb" mean in your posts? doesn't make sense.

and yes, this country has issues. but in spite of those issues it is still the greatest place to live on earth. Feel free to turn in your passport at any time bub. you won't be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread