Stranded, cobra died

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Yup, gonna take a quarter and weld it in to cover the hole in the piston. I'll use Jason's angle grinder to smooth out the head surface...

Oh sweet! The 25-cent fix! And you thought it was gonna be expensive. :rollseyes

But seriously, even though it sure doesn't look possible from the photos, I hope the scorched head can be repaired. If not...replacing them both??

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Any idea what started it? Was it a weak valve stem, or anything traceable?

And I can't believe they can fix that head. :eek:

Nah, had to be something with the cam. I'm sure it was the cam walking around that caused the problem in the first place. It might not be easy to determine which part was the first to fail though given the extent of the damage.

With luck, the head can be fixed, but he'll know soon enough I'm sure. That one valve seat looks awful bad though, so I dunno if that can be repaired or not.

convert03cobra

Established Member
Do you think the engine just hated you because you were gay? If so, that is pretty cliche. I think you are pretty Dale. lol Just trying to make you smile dude. This whole thing sucks dude and I hope you get it sorted out without costing you a boatload of cash.

TTRIMSVT

Established Member
Not sure yet Dwight, trying to get a few opinions. The block is already bored 0.030" over and a guy at L&M engines says that's as big as he's seen on Teksid blocks. Said if there is any scoring on the cylinder walls, it's not usable. There are quite a few scratches in the wall, including at least one big line that you can feel, so I'm afraid the block might be toast.

As for the head, I guess I'd have to take it to a shop to see if they can repair that much damage. Talking with the original builder, he said it might be salvagable, but we'll see.

Hopefully the rest of the bottom end is fine like the crank and rods, plus the other 7 pistons and the driver's side head. Looks like I'll need new cams though, which won't be cheap.

Dale, if you need a set of 96-98 heads let me know i have a few sets around here. i really dont think you can fix that one.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Dale, if you need a set of 96-98 heads let me know i have a few sets around here. i really dont think you can fix that one.

Thanks, I appreciate it. How about 96-98 cams? Teksid block? Just seeing if I can find this stuff local instead of having it shipped.

So does anyone know if a shop is able to port a head to match another? It looks like the driver's head is perfectly fine, but both have been ported quite a bit. I'll go back to stock cams, but would still like to have ported heads in my new engine.

Also, does anyone local do work with the SN95 intake manifold? Mine has been ported and the runners shortened, but two of the runners fell out. I don't know if we can just epoxy them back in and weld them up or if I should have someone do it that knows what they are doing.

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
man that looks like a bomb went off, GL with the built. how long did you have the car before it went kaboom?

Users who are viewing this thread