strange problem here

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
so i installed my vortech t-trim kit on my 2012 6mt brembo car. drove it up to the shop I work at (mid coast performance), where I then installed my suspension parts and my racestar wheels. 17x4 in front and 15x10 in the rear. The car still had stock injectors and stock tune and i just babied it down the street to and from the shop that night, about 3 miles. The next day I drove it back up and we put in on the dyno swapped plugs and injectors and started tuning. During some tests at part throttle the belt frayed and I called vortech and they said i needed a different bracket. so i backed the car off the dyno only to see "service advancetrac" and abs lights on and i have no power steering now. i just got the bracket installed on it and drove the car a few miles hoping the lights would go off but they didnt. Still no power steering and still "service advancetrac". all wires are good, all plugs are good. the only thing that changed from everything being fine was a flash for 60# injectors and the car ran on the dyno for a few minutes at low rpms. any thoughts?

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
In the process of the suspension install did any ABS connections or anything get disconnected? I would get under the car and go over everything, making sure everything is connected. Also, check under the hood for the same thing.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
i checked it all today on the lift. after the install i drove it a few times and everything worked fine. it was after putting it on the dyno that it all started. underhood fuses are all good too, i havent checked the in car fuses yet but i dont see how a fuse wouldve blown since no wires have been touched anywhere. this is really weird

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
You know, dtc's or codes are there for a reason. Hook up the scanner and see what it says.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm thats really weird. Did u make sure u didn't pinch any of the wire harness's when bolting the bracket to the engine? If the belt is fraying maybe the braket isn't flush to the engine do to a harness being under it?

98ss88mm

Established Member
I forgot to text you the pic of my bracket... sorry, just been too busy. I will try to do that tomorrow. Ehh scratch that, im posting them here now. Is this what you had or what you got on the replacement:

580425_10150808986691329_680206328_11889608_856592154_n.jpg

574944_10150808986956329_680206328_11889609_1086500227_n.jpg

But related to this... NOT GOOD NEWS dude. Im extremely curious as to what it could be as well. Your traction control or something isnt disabled via the tune is it? I was told if you tried to disable any of that it would light up like a xmas tree.

Last edited:

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Check the BIG fuse next to the positive lead on the battery.

That is where your issue is. I bet when you did your plugs you didn't disconnect the battery, and when you pulled or reinstalled number 4, you arced to the battery. I really hope that you didn't burn out the ECU. I saw a similar situation on an 11 shelby where that happened, and even after replacing the fuse, there was issues that were finally traced back to the ECU being fried.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
That is where your issue is. I bet when you did your plugs you didn't disconnect the battery, and when you pulled or reinstalled number 4, you arced to the battery. I really hope that you didn't burn out the ECU. I saw a similar situation on an 11 shelby where that happened, and even after replacing the fuse, there was issues that were finally traced back to the ECU being fried.

I did the exact same thing. Popped that fuse pulling my plugs.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
damn! this is good advice...

never disconnected a battery to change out the plugs before........

Ya there is a big fuse that is right there on the positive cable that is very easy to hit and pop if you don't disconnect it. I think the fuse setup ran me about 35 bucks iirc.

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
Thanks guys. Ordered the fuse for $24. And 98ss that's the newer style so you'll be good. Be sure to install the adjustable idler pulley in the second hole from the left so the belt gets tight.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I didn't disconnect my battery when I pulled my plugs.. Did I just get lucky or what? How hard is it to hit that thing by the battery?

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
its very easy to hit the fuses right there at the positive terminal on the battery. on the 05-09 mustangs, the positive terminal is outside, or close to the fender and the ground is next to the motor. on the 10's, they flipped the battery, so now the positive is next to the motor, and right next to number 4. on the 11 and up, the terminal now has the fuses attached for power steering and (if i remember correctly) the alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread