Strange Shocks/Struts

BV600

Established Member
Strange Shocks/Struts (Lakewoods, QA1s )

Looking for some reviews on them. Might Pair them with BMR Springs. I have H&R Race springs but not sure if they will work on the strip.

Last edited:

jojobee

Established Member
I read that the front Strange 10 way adj struts are very noisy and create a clunking noise due to their diameter being smaller that others..

For that reason alone i am looking elsewhere.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I read that the front Strange 10 way adj struts are very noisy and create a clunking noise due to their diameter being smaller that others..

For that reason alone i am looking elsewhere.

Zero clunks in my 2014 GT or 2009 GT500. Both have/had Strange singles. Clunks are likely from the strut mount, not the strut itself.

jojobee

Established Member
Zero clunks in my 2014 GT or 2009 GT500. Both have/had Strange singles. Clunks are likely from the strut mount, not the strut itself.

I will look for that thread but i am positive it was the strut the issue not the mount.

A few people were complaining of the same issue, maybe they fixed it now.

BMR Tech

You must be thinking of the older 79-04 Mustangs jojobee.....

There is definitely no issue with shaft diameters on the S197 applications...

There is a major difference in the overall quality and ride/noise characteristics, when comparing the older generation Mustang Strange Struts.

U CAN'T C ME

Established Member
I have them and I do get a clunk on the passenger side over some bumps not all. But I do like this set up for now. I will probably upgrade to better struts and shocks later maybe coil overs in the front.

Torchy

Established Member
I have them and I do get a clunk on the passenger side over some bumps not all. But I do like this set up for now. I will probably upgrade to better struts and shocks later maybe coil overs in the front.

Think it's a install issue since only on pass side?

Interested to see more reviews.

jojobee

Established Member
You must be thinking of the older 79-04 Mustangs jojobee.....

There is definitely no issue with shaft diameters on the S197 applications...

There is a major difference in the overall quality and ride/noise characteristics, when comparing the older generation Mustang Strange Struts.

This is the issue i am talking about.
Same information in a couple of threads here on svt.

Some have reported this on recent model too so i'm not sure what to think. Hopefully youre right and its fixed.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the outer-diameter of the strut shaft is smaller than the inner-diameter of the bearing in Maximum Motorsports' plates, and it causes them to clunk and bang around. No amount of tightening is going to make that go away.

I had this problem a few years ago with strange struts and MM plates and verified this to be true with a micrometer.

Another one with Steeda camber plates.

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/167649-Strange-Struts-In-Now-Marbles

Last edited:

Torchy

Established Member

Some have reported this on recent model too so i'm not sure what to think. Hopefully youre right and its fixed.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the outer-diameter of the strut shaft is smaller than the inner-diameter of the bearing in Maximum Motorsports' plates, and it causes them to clunk and bang around. No amount of tightening is going to make that go away.

I had this problem a few years ago with strange struts and MM plates and verified this to be true with a micrometer.

Soo are stock mounts the way to go with these shocks/struts?

BMR Tech

That link is to the older style, which some people seem to have had an issue with. I have a brand new set in my garage, as I type this, for my 2004 Cobra, and the shaft diameters are not what MM claims that they are. This was the first thing I did, when I got them a few weeks back - I measured the shafts with my calipers.

If this issue for the older cars is true, I have never experienced it. It is either A: Years ago, the shafts were smaller....or B: they had a batch of them that were smaller.

That being said, even my stock Bilsteins on my Cobra have slop between the strut shaft and the Strut Mount Sleeve. You can "wiggle" the sleeve on the shaft with your hand, thus proving that torquing is a very important step when installing.

That said, this is NOT an issue on the S197 Mustangs. We helped in the development of these pieces. They fit like a stock strut, and the shock themselves operate quietly in comparison to the older Strange Struts for the 79-04's.

BMR Tech

Thanks.

Anyone have Lakewoods?

I have a few customers running them, and they seem to do well. If it is my money, it is going towards adjustable struts and shocks.;-)

UPR is out of them?

Just checked site, and it appears they do...I already purchased through BMR. Hopefully not too much longer(back order).

No one has had them for quite some time. I did get a call today from several of my customers claiming they received them....so, they should be showing up to everyone's doorsteps (those who had them on order) any time now.

I never knew BMR sold them, as they are not listed on the website.

There are many parts that we do not have on our site, that we sell. We honestly are not big on selling non-BMR items, but I/we do so sometimes for the convenience. When I set someones suspension up on the phone, often times I recommend everything to them - even the parts we do not make, and even some of our competitors parts if I feel they will work better.

The way the market is now, we simply don't care to compete with everyone online with pricing. We sell the part at the price it should be sold at - and most of the time, the customer will want a discount, free shipping, etc.....and it just is not worth it to us. I send people to other companies every day, all day....:rolling:

This is likely an upper mount issue. If not, try checking your sway bar end links. If not, could be an a-arm bushing....spring knock, or a few other things. Feel free to call me and I can help you diagnose.

Users who are viewing this thread