Strangest food you have eaten?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Ate a whole baby octopus in one bite at a Chinese buffet. It looked barely dead and I remember the beak crunching between my teeth. It didn't taste bad, it was actually a little spicy, but the thought of eating the entire thing is a little disturbing to me when I think about it.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Vegimite, Crocodile, Kangaroo, Octopus, Raw spiced hamburger is regularly eaten by me (Kitfo).

Jim, FWIW, Limburger cheese tastes like strong Brie, and if fresh (never had it any other way) it doesn't smell. We've got a Wegmans around here that sells it.

I hate generalizing from what I've heard, so for everyone telling me Vegimite tastes bad (without trying it) I tried it. I'm now qualified to say it tastes bad. This is also why I bought the Limberger; everyone mentioned the smell without trying the cheese. I tried it, it's actually gotten a bad rap, unless Wegmans has put a Limburger wrapper on something else.

Vegimite; salty compost on a cracker. (Aus.)
Croc; chicken. (Aus.)
Kangaroo; really rich beef, I'd try it again. (Aus.)
Octopus; excellent rich seafood. (Greece)
Kitfo tastes like Ethiopian butter over raw meat. Which is what it is. (My house)

I also like Andrew Zimmern's show, but can't watch it with my wife's aunt around.

Mike

DRTHV8R

I am your father.
Established Member
i have tried most that has been mentioned..

My weirdest but rather tasty food has to be pigeon. Had it in mexico as a kid.. we killed it with a sling shot and ate it.. Savages!

dragon40k

Established Member
Beef tongue, Chicken feet, tripe and eel on sushi. No I'm not a fan of most of those things.
I'll add pigeon since I saw it above me. I thought it was good.

808GT

Established Member
Had this conversation with some of my Asian/Filipino friends and I LOVE Andrew Zimmern's Bizzarre foods...

What's the strangest food you have eaten? My filipino friend said meatloaf is wierd to him, but he loves Balut (sp), which is wierd as hell to me lol!

I have had kangaroo, bison (Awesome), alligator and snake!

There are Filipinos in Utah?!? lol

Balut is awesome...cures cancer and cold

balut.jpg

Last edited:

808GT

Established Member
You guys should go to Hawaii and try the "pokes." Basically, raw seafood w/ hawaiian style seasoning. Very ono!!! (ono = delicious)

e.g. ahi poke (tuna fish)
tako poke (octopus)
blue crab poke (crab lol)
etc

ono_seafood_ahi_poke_2_500.jpg

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
we're counting vegimite? that stuff tastes like ASS! how the hell can those australians eat that like peanutbutter??? its like ****ing salty tar! EEEHHHH!!!!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I'd say for me it's a toss-up between Horse and Rattlesnake. No pun intended.

Although there was this other meal I tried in Japan, not sure what it's called, but they take a bowl of rice, put a pound or so of raw hamburger on top- then crack a RAW egg over it and viola- it's ready to eat:thumbsup: After one bite I was ready to:xpl:

Ride Along

i has an avatar!
Established Member
Snails in Paris. Not fond, taste like buttery rubber bands.
Dried mealworms. Just taste like crunchy nothing.....
My pet rabbit got a gift of "yogurt drops", they may have been an animal treat, but they taste just like carob coating. yum.

Linthemup

Established Member
Ive tried pretty much everything listed .
Love all seafood to include Sushi .
MRE ' s will make you try just about anything .

I guess the weirdest was live Monkey brain , its not as bad as everyone thinks .

Lumpia is awesome havnt had any since the 80s can you get your mom to give up the recipe ?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Gator,Turtle,Bison/Buffalo,Rattlesnake,Black Tip Shark,Swamp Cabbage and Octopuss!
Gator and Octopuss are freaking great.

Users who are viewing this thread