Suggestions on plastidip

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Hey guys just thought i'd get some opinions before thinking about this any further, but just out of pure boredom i've been thinking about messing around with some plastidip but am looking for some suggestions first. I've been getting pretty bored with these 18" chrome saleens over the past year and have been throwing around the idea of gold metallic plastidip lately to see how it looks on my Mineral Grey 02 gt. The car has black accents (black bumper inserts, chin spoiler, tail lights and raised portion+scoop on hood). Before actually going through it I was curious what everyone's opinions are on this, I feel like it would look tacky but could also potentially look sweet if it comes out right.

The other option is to just go black and do the rims, roof and spoiler and possibly trunk but I really don't know about taking the blacked out look to the extreme.

What do you guys think? Option 1, 2 or any other color suggestions are welcome. I'll try to get a pic of the car up tomorrow. And I like the car as is and will eventually go back which is why i'm opting not to wrap.

Speedboosted

Established Member
So you already have black accents on the car, correct? Just dip the rims black, it'll look pretty good if you know how to do it. Bunch of light coats and boom, whole new look!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree on going black with the wheels. I'm not of fan of gold rims, especially gold plasti-dip. Of course you could try the gold and if you don't like it, peel it off and do black. That's one nice thing about dipping. Nothing is permanent. I do recommend you go slow with the dipping of exterior parts. Do one piece at a time and then decide if another part should be dipped. If not done right you could end up with a tacky looking exterior. JMO.

Tmatt142

Established Member
As it's been mentioned... Plenty of coats! At least 6 decent coats. If it is too thin, it'll suck trying to peel it off. Ask me how I know this....

nickf2005

Established Member
For as easy and cheap it is, Plastidip is a no brainer. Did my truck...

20140621_180707_zpsppshnxfv.jpg

Since that shot, I've also blacked out my chrome front and rear bumper. Looks much better!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Plasti-dip looks horrible. Powdercoat them or buy another set of wheels. It may be cheap but looks like ass.

As for the truck above. I would have kept the wheels silver and just color matched the front and rear bumpers. Looks much better than putting spray plastic on it. If you wanted the offroad look you could go with something like rhino lining or bedliner.

nickf2005

Established Member
Plasti-dip looks horrible. Powdercoat them or buy another set of wheels. It may be cheap but looks like ass.

As for the truck above. I would have kept the wheels silver and just color matched the front and rear bumpers. Looks much better than putting spray plastic on it. If you wanted the offroad look you could go with something like rhino lining or bedliner.

Or I could just use the $20 in plastidip and be happy. :) It's a bad weather/woods truck. It doesn't have to look perfect.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Or I could just use the $20 in plastidip and be happy. :) It's a bad weather/woods truck. It doesn't have to look perfect.

Sorry if i offended you. I have just seen too many Plasti-dip trucks out there and think it just looks tacky. If its a woods truck then my opinion doesnt matter. Good luck with it, at least you know your wheels will looks great after you peel it off.

nickf2005

Established Member
Sorry if i offended you. I have just seen too many Plasti-dip trucks out there and think it just looks tacky. If its a woods truck then my opinion doesnt matter. Good luck with it, at least you know your wheels will looks great after you peel it off.

Oh, not offended. No worries. The truck is what it is. I just didn't like the shiny chrome as much as the flat-black. I'm happy and it's held up for 6+ months. Money well spent.

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
I think plasti-dip definitely has it's place, and when used in the right places, or used in a tasteful manner it can blend in and not look tacky. But like many of you have said, most dip jobs look tacky, and most people seem to go wild with the stuff. I do a lot of dipping on my ATV just because it protects stuff and can be re-applied if something happens and there is already a ton of black on ATV's to begin with so it blends well. Count my vote in on doing your Saleens in black too. I think it'll look good. I'm not sure if you have any experience with doing the glossifier coats after your top coat, but I think they would look good with both. Unless you would rather have a flat look then don't use it.

nickf2005

Established Member
I think plasti-dip definitely has it's place, and when used in the right places, or used in a tasteful manner it can blend in and not look tacky. But like many of you have said, most dip jobs look tacky, and most people seem to go wild with the stuff. I do a lot of dipping on my ATV just because it protects stuff and can be re-applied if something happens and there is already a ton of black on ATV's to begin with so it blends well. Count my vote in on doing your Saleens in black too. I think it'll look good. I'm not sure if you have any experience with doing the glossifier coats after your top coat, but I think they would look good with both. Unless you would rather have a flat look then don't use it.

I agree...

OP, not sure if these will help any (especially since my truck has road salt all over), but here is a close up shot of the wheel. It's a pretty even/solid finish for a first-timer.

20150108_104414_zpslovwp0zy.jpg

Here's how the bumper turned out.:

20150108_104425_zpsmicbib0g.jpg

Crude photos, I know. Take it for what it's worth.

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Does anyone know if the regular plastidip is ok to use on chrome? I see that dip your car has a "wheel kit" but that dip is much more expensive than the regular cans, I was curious what the difference is if any. Google found nothing

Users who are viewing this thread