Suggestions on track day cooling/oil

SVT_Troy

Established Member
i just noticed this thread. you should not be going onto any race track with antifreeze in the car. no. dont do that anymore.

as to the oil ive been a royal purple driver fror 5 years now. roush yates recommends 5w30

Havn't been to a car track day yet but iv'e done several motorcycle trackdays and I've always ran distilled water and water wetter. Is that acceptable with cars?

David Hester

Established Member
Yep. It is what I used. ^ WallyWorld has distilled water for like $1 a gallon.
Antifreeze is slicker than goose poop....Synthetic oil is nasty, too. Check those drain plugs before you leave home!

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Where would you stick an oil cooler on a Terminator to get airflow? Remove a foglamp and put it in the air stream there?

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
"...distilled water and water wetter."

Is that acceptable with a cat that's also driven on the street? Will it provide enough protection? I'm not going to switch back & forth, however I'm guessing it would need to be drained during the winter months?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
"...distilled water and water wetter."

Is that acceptable with a cat that's also driven on the street? Will it provide enough protection? I'm not going to switch back & forth, however I'm guessing it would need to be drained during the winter months?

It will cool better than straight coolant or a water coolant mix. Only downside is it will freeze. If your car stays in a garage during the winter months and won't freeze over you'll be good. I not you will need to drain and add coolant.

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
So in order to piece an oil cooler together, I will just need an oil filter relocation set up, some AN fittings, and an oil heat exchanger?
And any suggestions on where to mount the heat exchanger? I would assume mounting it in front of the radiator would potentially serve as a heater for my coolant which I don't want.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been running Castrol TWS 10w60 with great results, with my cooling setup the only moment my oil temperature starts to creep up is when I'm sitting in traffic. Need to add a fan to the oil cooler next.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
O/P: You don't need to sacrifice one guage for another.

gauges.png

racebronco2

Established Member
O/P: You don't need to sacrifice one guage for another.

gauges.png

I used to worry about oil temps until i found the solution is a modded hood. I don't remember the last time i even looked at the oil temps. I have one temp gauge but use a toggle switch to switch over to either oil temp or dif temp.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I used to worry about oil temps until i found the solution is a modded hood. I don't remember the last time i even looked at the oil temps. I have one temp gauge but use a toggle switch to switch over to either oil temp or dif temp.

You're running an oil cooler aren't you?

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member

I would like to know how you switch between the two? Can you use a simple electrical switch since they both run on 0-5VDC?

racebronco2

Established Member
You're running an oil cooler aren't you?

Yes i am but since i modded the hood the temps are not that high.

why not just use a aero force where you can list two things at one time?

You can have the aeroforce scan two at a time with a max of 8.

I would like to know how you switch between the two? Can you use a simple electrical switch since they both run on 0-5VDC?

I have three temps sensors. I have a three position toggle switch. on-off-on.

on-water temp
off- momentary switch for dif temp
on- oi temp

I had the dif temp on a momentary switch because i rarely ever use it anymore. It's 12 volts since it is an autometer gauge, not an obdII gauge.

Now that's not a bad idea.

I just didn't want to have three gauges.

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
Since this thread isn't ancient I figured I'd ask a follow up question. What coolant is a good idea to run since I got my new fluidyne radiator. Also since the engine is all aluminum too. (I did order an anode drain plug)

ba#97

Established Member
what ratio of distilled water/water wetter do you guys use? right now I'm running 10w30 synthetic pennzoil but my car is now a trailer queen so what should I go with oil wise...motor is a bone stock 95 cobra motor. just have headers exhaust etc.

Users who are viewing this thread