Suggestions on track day cooling/oil

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
If your car is a trailer queen with a stock motor use what the handbook recommends for oil. As far as coolant, use 1 bottle of water wetter, and 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water.

ba#97

Established Member
If your car is a trailer queen with a stock motor use what the handbook recommends for oil. As far as coolant, use 1 bottle of water wetter, and 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water.

I thought these guys were saying don't use coolant? that's what I'm asking...if no coolant...just distilled water and one bottle of water wetter?

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
If you don't go the track, I suggest run coolant in the system. If you do go to the track I would in my opinion still run coolant but a 70/30 mix with water wetter instead of 50/50. Than again summers where I live can still see some cold nights and by the time fall come around I would rather had the extra protection. The water wetter bottle says 1 full bottle per cooling system (12-20 quarts) 4.6 and 5.0 are both on the higher side of that capacity. It says if the car is a street car to use at least 15% antifreeze in the system. I was always under the impression that antifreeze has some lubricants in it that will prolong the life of the water pump and seals. In addition to lowering the freezing point, it should raise the boiling point of the water mixture... Right?

ba#97

Established Member
lol...the point of my car being a trailer queen is it's a track car. that's why I'm asking. but yeah I'm just trying to see what these guys say because I'm under the impression from reading above that they don't run coolant. that being said..I live in cali, and would only have it with no coolant in the summer months anyways...and would probably just swap it out when I go to the track.

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
ahhh that makes more sense. I thought by trailer queen you meant trailered from car show to car show. I can tell you that pretty much all the guys I go to the track with have cars they trailer to the track and back, car is only used for track days and the occasional cruise/car show in the warmer months. Most, and by "most" I mean with the exception of a few, run coolant. The only bad thing I have heard about running straight distilled water in the cooling system is that it can be corrosive. Hence me ordering a zinc anode plug for my new fluidyne radiator. From the pages of reading I have done the past couple days there is a theme that water wetter alone isnt enough to stop this from happening, at least not well enough for peoples liking. If you add antifreeze, that is supposed to stop it from happening, or have a sacrificial metal, zinc plug in my case. I have taken too many chem classes for this to not sound right, however I can not say I have seen anyone have problems running straight distilled, at least not yet.
After reading into the subject more I plan on going with a 75/25 distilled water/antifreeze and 1 bottle of water wetter. My car sees a fair amount of street time, about 5 track weekends, and about 5 autocross events each year and little to no trailer time. (dont have one...yet)
But if yours does get trailered and youre in Cali than I vote 1 bottle water wetter and it should be good to go. (and zinc anode cap or plug for extra measure)

ba#97

Established Member
sounds good...thanks for the info..I am going with a new radiator setup here whenever I get back from my deployment as well and that is when I will switch over to all this. I'm sadly going to be gone most of the year so will be missing most of the good weather for track.

Users who are viewing this thread