Supercharger HOT!!!!

GT500EA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
So heres the deal, when I run my 03 Cobra and the temperature gets to operating level...the supercharger gets really hot, so hot that the coolant in the intercooler reservoir is boiling. And you can just feel the temperature of the heat around the car. The engine temperature is normal. Any help would be useful, kind of new to the supercharger world...always had N/A. thanks, Erik

gabe1530

Banned
mine does the same thing. what mix of water/coolant are you running in the intercooler?
for the summer i run a 60% water and 40% coolant. flip flopped for winter.

if you want it to stay chilled get a killer chiller.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I doubt that the coolant is boiling. Are you sure it isn't the churning of the coolant caused by the discharge of coolant from the intercooler?

As seen here...
CLick Thumbnail:
th_HE-Coolant-1.jpg

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
And yes, the supercharger will get hot. The case can get north of 160*. If the coolant is boiling then that means that most likely the air blowing through the intercooler from the supercharger discharge port is north of 260*F. I doubt seriously that it is getting that hot. Especially at idle. And if it is, then you have other problems.

MGC

Established Member
These cars tend to run pretty hot from the factory I've noticed, install a reische 170 tstat and change your fan settings with a handheld tuner and taking out your hood vents makes a world of difference.

Last edited:

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Are you running a smaller pulley? If so it is spining harder which will make it hotter then normal but should still be fine. Most blowers get pretty warm anyways.

GT500EA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
mine does the same thing. what mix of water/coolant are you running in the intercooler?
for the summer i run a 60% water and 40% coolant. flip flopped for winter.
if you want it to stay chilled get a killer chiller.

yeah Im running 60 /40...what kind of coolant are you using?

I doubt that the coolant is boiling. Are you sure it isn't the churning of the coolant caused by the discharge of coolant from the intercooler?

As seen here...
CLick Thumbnail:
th_HE-Coolant-1.jpg

no, its not blowing up bubbles like that it looks like water at a rolling boil

And yes, the supercharger will get hot. The case can get north of 160*. If the coolant is boiling then that means that most likely the air blowing through the intercooler from the supercharger discharge port is north of 260*F. I doubt seriously that it is getting that hot. Especially at idle. And if it is, then you have other problems.

well maybe its not boiling, but it sure looks like it...maybe its just hot and its making big bubbles...

These cars tend to run pretty hot from the factory I've noticed, install a reische 170 tstat and change your fan settings with a handheld tuner and taking out your hood vents makes a world of difference.

Its not the engine temperature im worried about..and i did use a Reische thermostat but its the supercharger coolant im worried about now....

Are you running a smaller pulley? If so it is spining harder which will make it hotter then normal but should still be fine. Most blowers get pretty warm anyways.

Yeah, she has a Billetflow 2.930 pulley.....

Last edited:

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
definetely check the intercooler pump.hardwire it to make sure its working.they fail all the time it seems

MGC

Established Member
Misunderstood the post, my bad. If you're running a 2.76 then it could get heatsoaked pretty easily, but this would be noticeable from the lack of power. I personally think it's the churning of the coolant as hissman said, which is normal, should be running all the time.

MGC

Established Member
OP- when you start the car, cold, does the fluid in the reservoir move at all? It should be pretty obvious whether or not your intercooler pump is working, if it's not moving then it's very plausible that the fluid inside gets hot enough to boil as the car warms up because as others said the pump went out.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
I'm pretty sure that its just heat - the cars get very hot. If your temps are good then I wouldn't worry about them. I mean, hell I have a 2.2 Kenne Bell and it takes 10 minutes to warm up, and once it warms up its very hot. Imagine driving 80-90 miles straight shot, and doing 2 back to back high speed runs (160+mph) and then you can cook your dinner right on the blower lol (thats what I did, I mean not the dinner part)... LOL

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
It's a piece of Aluminum sitting on top of an Iron block. It's always going to be hot. Sucks the heat right out of the engine block. Just make sure your IC pump is working like you're checking into already.

GT500EA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
It's a piece of Aluminum sitting on top of an Iron block. It's always going to be hot. Sucks the heat right out of the engine block. Just make sure your IC pump is working like you're checking into already.

Well, I figured it would be hot...but just not that hot...to where you can just feel the heat coming off of her. But I am new to the SC world so, if all you guys say they get that hot....then something new I just learned. I'll swap out this pump and see if it makes any difference. thanks

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If the pump is running then it is fine. The intercooler will do nothing worthwhile to cool the actual supercharger. It just cools the discharge air. Did you look to see if the pump is flowing into the reservoir? You can take the cap off of it while the engine is running and look. It isn't pressurized like the primary cooling system. If it is flowing then I would not change the pump out. maybe just hang on to it for some time in the future.

GT500EA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
If the pump is running then it is fine. The intercooler will do nothing worthwhile to cool the actual supercharger. It just cools the discharge air. Did you look to see if the pump is flowing into the reservoir? You can take the cap off of it while the engine is running and look. It isn't pressurized like the primary cooling system. If it is flowing then I would not change the pump out. maybe just hang on to it for some time in the future.

so, the intercooler doesnt cool the actual supercharger.....so she just runs as hot as she gets??? Im sorry if these are dumb questions....this is my first SC'd car. thanks

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
so, the intercooler doesnt cool the actual supercharger.....so she just runs as hot as she gets??? Im sorry if these are dumb questions....this is my first SC'd car. thanks

Since the intercooler is bolted to the underside of the blower some cooling can occur, but it is relatively minor, assuming the pump is running.

When air is compressed it becomes heated, the intercooler is there to remove most of the added heat, which is then moved via water to the front heat exchanger and then air pulls it out of that.

When the pump stops working when it's supposed to be working, for what ever reason, the water can boil, sometimes it boils right out.

Because of the age of these cars, these small electric water pumps are failing now fairly frequently.

GT500EA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Since the intercooler is bolted to the underside of the blower some cooling can occur, but it is relatively minor, assuming the pump is running.

When air is compressed it becomes heated, the intercooler is there to remove most of the added heat, which is then moved via water to the front heat exchanger and then air pulls it out of that.

When the pump stops working when it's supposed to be working, for what ever reason, the water can boil, sometimes it boils right out.

Because of the age of these cars, these small electric water pumps are failing now fairly frequently.

AHHHHH....okay....and thats exactly what the coolant is doing...its not boiling out, but you can see that its at a rolling boil inside...at least thats what it seems like. My new pump just got here from Tousley, hopefully get her installed today or at the latest, this weekend. Hopefully it stops the boiling and put my mind at ease. thanks for the information man, I appreciate it. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread