Supercharger rattle??

Grey03

Established Member
Hey guys, my car seems to have some sort of rattle and it sounds like it is inside the supercharger. (low clunk like marbles inside) Has anyone heard of any problems caused by this? I have never heard the sound before, but I got the tick fixed and maybe I am just listening to "normal" sounds. I did a search but the search engine on here sucks. By the way my car makes over 10lbs boost (when it is cool out) with the stock pulley, and runs great. Should I be worried??

lifter213

Established Member
What rpm does it start to do it? Mine is making a weird noise that i cant figure out but only does it around 5k and on up in the rpms. Makes me not want to drive it hard because of this. I wish i could figure out what its doing.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Do a search on threads that I have started. I had a "clatter" btw 2500-4000rpms at part throttle. off the gas , disappeared, on the gas hard disappeared. That and the vibe they couldn't fix is why I am driving a new redfire vs. my mg vert.

Grey03

Established Member
I noticed it while sitting at idle w/ the hood open. No other sound when driving.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
MIne does it at low RMP's I know the sound your talking about. When I had it at the dealer I asked him what that sound was, his responce was "you know this car has a supercharger, thats the thingy right there on top of the engine!". At that point I said forget it.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
At WOT 1st & 2nd gear i dont hear it. Once im on 3rd & 4th gear i will hear that rattle.....but i doubt its detonation or pinging cause ive had this sound for a very long time & been down the 1/4 Track enough times to see signs of it id believe.

My NGK TR6 have been pretty clean on the insulator & no signs of it Detonating at all. Plus around the rim of the plug is black from all the fuel its being dumped....but thats just my .02cents.

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Originally posted by Grey03
Hey guys, my car seems to have some sort of rattle and it sounds like it is inside the supercharger. (low clunk like marbles inside) Has anyone heard of any problems caused by this? I have never heard the sound before, but I got the tick fixed and maybe I am just listening to "normal" sounds. I did a search but the search engine on here sucks. By the way my car makes over 10lbs boost (when it is cool out) with the stock pulley, and runs great. Should I be worried??

Makes over 10lbs boost on stock pulley? Do you have a chip? The mods in your sig usually will not give 2+ lbs of extra boost.

stangfreak

Established Member
my supercharger, when it reaches 4200 rpms it sounds like that is huts off. the boost gauge is still pinned at 8-9 lbs of boost, but the s.c sounds fades away a bit. its weird.

LANIGRL

CrazyCobraLady
Established Member
what gear and speed are you guys at doin 42 & 5 rpm? The arm that goes from the supercharger to the belt cover on my cobra snaped in two right were the fan and arm meet . thats alot of shakin ! so if you guys are in the lower gears , high speed , no tellin whats rattling .

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
At WOT 1st & 2nd gear i dont hear it. Once im on 3rd & 4th gear i will hear that rattle.....but i doubt its detonation or pinging cause ive had this sound for a very long time & been down the 1/4 Track enough times to see signs of it id believe.

My NGK TR6 have been pretty clean on the insulator & no signs of it Detonating at all. Plus around the rim of the plug is black from all the fuel its being dumped....but thats just my .02cents.
The higher gears are when you would hear detonation easier. I guess as long as you don't see little tiny balls of aluminum on your plugs it's not pinging too bad if at all. That noise would still concern me though.

Grey03- I do remember reading about that noise here and I believe it was described as marbles. Did you do a search?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Damn Dano...i was kinda worried about see - ing that post.

Funny thing is that the noise was almost the same as my 01 Cobra.
Think i need P. or Allan to take my car out to see if they hear detonation or just S/C noice. :(

I never seen any Tiny Balls of Aluminium on the car.......guess thats a sign of it?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Sounds like you need to feed the hampsters more often. :) But seriously it could be a bearing problem, or poor oil control in the Eaton. Have the dealer check the impeller shaft bearings in the S/C as well as the condition of the S/C oil.

LANIGRL

CrazyCobraLady
Established Member
mine sounds like a pack of Myna birds .. had 03SNAKE drive it to see if it was alright . Of course it didnt make the noise . Im gettin me a GT.

oldmodman

Established Member
If you have a supercharger problem Ford will just replace the blower. They don't have the capability to dissasemble and service them.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I bet you anything it is an idler pulley if it is not the normal ticking from the injectors.

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I have this same exact sound as well. @ part throttle i hear it and @ idle. At WOT it goes away. I popped the hood. It is DEFINETELY the supercharger. I checked the idlers first not that. I dont know if i never noticed it and its always been there or what. Hopefully it doesnt hurt anything

Dave

lifter213

Established Member
I really only notice mine making the sound in 2nd, 3rd, & 4th from 5k and beyond. I've checked my plugs and they all look good. I pulled them anyway and put in the NGK tr6's and gapped them at .40 and still had the noise. Pulled those plugs and checked them, still looked good, and regapped to .35 just to experiment. Still makes the noise. It did it before and now after the Predator tune. I hope its not something serious with my engine. :(

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
I drove three different Cobras before I picked the one I bought...they all made the same "marble rattle" noise.

My exhaust leak has taken my mind off of it. :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread