Supercharging?

1996dohcsvt

Established Member
Hey guys looking to supercharge my bone stock 96 cobra. what is the best blower to get really been lookin into the kb 2.1 $4000 i wanna get about 400whp outta this thing safely can it be done or is it hopeless? thanks for any info/input

crazycarlo

Established Member
it can be done with the KB 2.1 but the big downside of that blower for our car is they dont come with a way to intercool them and no bypass valve so ur limited to the amount of boost u make. If u have $4000 to spend id suggest finding a used centri in the classifieds of trying to find a used turbo. In the long run youll thank me. Or better yet if ur looking for the instant boost purchase an eaton swap.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I wouldn't even bother looking at the non-IC KB's. You should be able to find a Eaton swap like Carlos said for that kind of money. I went with a non-IC Vortech and added the IC, powerpipe bigger injectors and other supporting hardware and spent a hell of a lot more money than $4000.

SVT Pille

Established Member
Intercooled procharger or a used turbo kit would be your best bet. KB is another option. One of my friends has the non-ic 1.5KB and ran meth to keep it cool, seems pretty happy with it.

98fourvalve

Established Member
I had the same idea for mine. I picked up a complete p1sc 3 core intercooled procharger kit for it for like 2k. then just add the rest of supporting mods for fuel, tune, etc.

SVTContique

had the same situation as you a couple years ago.

Went Procharger, bought it used with all the fixins for around 3 grand.

Injectors, MAF, entire kit... was pretty sweet.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
A used centri kit is definately the way to go. A used Vortech kit can be had pretty cheap and getting an intercooler, particular a front mount is pretty cheap too depending on what brand you go with. There are plenty that are of good quality in the $300 range. Piping is easy to source too. A universal kit would supply most if not all the different bends and peices you would need.

A used Procharger will run a tad more than the Vortech but 95% of the time that used kit comes with the FMIC and all the tubing you need to make it work for your car.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
used 1.5 here...i just threw on the 10# pulley and meth and am shooting for 410 wheel..but we will see....the torque the car makes is fantastic..all motor seems like a turd after you drive it with a KB...get the KB..an eaton swap is a nickel and dime process...a used centri is always nice but they are very popular for good reason..but i wanted to be diff...

crazycarlo

Established Member
used 1.5 here...i just threw on the 10# pulley and meth and am shooting for 410 wheel..but we will see....the torque the car makes is fantastic..all motor seems like a turd after you drive it with a KB...get the KB..an eaton swap is a nickel and dime process...a used centri is always nice but they are very popular for good reason..but i wanted to be diff...

There is a guy on this forums selling a complete eaton swap for $2800 minus the C-heads. no nickel and diming. Any blower is going to make ur car awesome to drive OP but with the KB blower ur not going to leave urself much room to grow. I bought my vortech setup for $1900. Then spent almost another$700 on the little things i needed to make it run right. I now have a Intercooled S-trim setup with blowthrough. Hell I may even entertain selling my kit. Just shoot me a PM.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
My last car I started with a p1sc procharger kit and spend 2500 for everything.

Keep your eyes open to the market and one will come along.

1996dohcsvt

Established Member
i heard that kb are good for our cars becuz of all the low end its lacking? i love this car but i dont wanna be any ls1 car's lunch lmao.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
i heard that kb are good for our cars becuz of all the low end its lacking? i love this car but i dont wanna be any ls1 car's lunch lmao.

The centri blown cars are just fine with the right gears. Centri at 8-10# with 4.10's is beastly. You get the power multiplication down low and the freight train pull up top. That set up will alow you to run with the PD cars from a dig and pull away from them up top.

zoom1523

Established Member
the kb 2.1 is awesome. Just get a methanol injection kit to help keep the IAT's down. If 400 is all you want the kb is perfect. The torque is awesome and the power is instant. Im saying this from experience. I did though get the itch for more so i did go the eaton swap route (currently in the works) and sold my kb 2.1. Im a KB fanatic so im again going with a KB but with C heads.

Users who are viewing this thread