Suspension help!

clc44

Established Member
I've been doing my fair share of research on suspension mods. My car is my DD and have a few things to do ahead of suspension work but want to go a head and figure out my plans.

I plan on seeing the drag strip a hand full of times a year. It will never see a road course but I will drive the car pretty hard on the back roads. That being said, I don't want a drag only set up. I want something that will work for all conditions and won't beat me up while driving on the hwy.

Suggestions: (Brands)
Shocks/Struts?
Springs? Want something with a nice stance.
Wheels and Tires?
Control Arms? UCA & LCA or just LCA?
Aftermarket K Member or Stock?
CC Plates?
Bumpsteer kit and X2 Balljoints?

I am torn between wheel set ups. I love the look of Pro Stars (15x4-15x8) but I'm not to sure on how they would work on the street. I don't really want to lose the cornering ability. So, I'm also considering 1. AFS Mach 1 replicas w/DD in the rear (17x9/17x10.5) 2. FR500 Black with polished lip (same size) 3. Black 03/04 Cobra wheels (same size). I will most likely run a DR regardless of the wheel selection.

Thanks for ANY help that is given to me. I'm just trying to finish up my "to do list".

Monster Mach

Established Member
be like robby (quickest street legal mach) 9.8 1/4 STOCK suspension.. only thing he has done suspension wise is tires and rims... other than that stock.. (and halfshafts duh)

DarkMach1

Established Member
I like my setup, its rides nice, handles nice and it squats pretty good. I have Tokico D-specs, Steeda sport springs and Steeda CC plates.

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member
Do you have a budget?

I would recommend subframe connectors. Springs and dampeners depend on each other, coilovers are an option. C/C plates are needed if you go with coilovers, and needed depending on what conventional springs you go with. Aftermarket K-member is going to be better than stock, but you'll need aftermarket A-arms also, that would tack on about a grand. Bumpsteer and X2 balljoints are only needed if you go with springs that drop the car a lot. The bumpsteer kit helped my car quite a bit, but couldn't tell any difference with the X2's.

I don't think I helped much, kind of need to know if how far you want to take the car.

clc44

Established Member
I do have a budget and don't want to get crazy with the car. I'm thinking H&R Race Springs and not sure on shocks/struts. Thinking about Strange 10 ways. MM FLSFC for sure down the road. What about wheels? What is the best investment in that department? I can't decide on big and little's or some replicas. Thanks for the help! Keep it coming.

EVO-lution

Established Member
strange struts/shocks I heard were noisy. I would suggest some tokico D-specs as well. as far as springs, it depends on how low you want to go. I'm running sportlines with about a 2" drop.

and wheels....I DO NOT recommend 17" FR-500's. IMHO they look cheesy. I like the Deep dish Mach 1's. or maybe even a saleen wheel on there.

EDIT: You can always do a QA-1 front suspension set up or UPR.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Do you have a budget?

I would recommend subframe connectors. Springs and dampeners depend on each other, coilovers are an option. C/C plates are needed if you go with coilovers, and needed depending on what conventional springs you go with. Aftermarket K-member is going to be better than stock, but you'll need aftermarket A-arms also, that would tack on about a grand. Bumpsteer and X2 balljoints are only needed if you go with springs that drop the car a lot. The bumpsteer kit helped my car quite a bit, but couldn't tell any difference with the X2's.

I don't think I helped much, kind of need to know if how far you want to take the car.

machs come with subframes.. one thing they did right

clc44

Established Member
^ they only came with bolt in SC and they aren't the XL. Also, I've heard good things about Lakewood shocks and struts.

Wheels- I don't want to go 18's for the cost of tires and lack of sidewall for the strip. I want the DD Mach 1 wheels but not sure they will have any when the time comes or I like black 03/04 Cobra wheels. What about Pro Stars?

I would like about 1.5" max in the front and 1.3" max drop in the rear. I want them to be OK for the track but handle well.

Thanks so much for all the help, y'all are helping me eliminate some things.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
be like robby (quickest street legal mach) 9.8 1/4 STOCK suspension.. only thing he has done suspension wise is tires and rims... other than that stock.. (and halfshafts duh)

half shafts???

You mean axles? If he had a stock suspension then he doesn't have an IRS. IRS have half shafts.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
machs come with subframes.. one thing they did right

Sorry, but the stock SFC's are garbage.

If you want a nice ride, I would not go with Race springs. They have STIFF spring rates. That combined with a solid-axle make for a teeth shattering ride over dips/bumps. Here is a good link that details the spring rates of stock and aftermarket springs for the Mustangs.
Coil Spring Tech

IMO, this is what I would do:
- MM FLSFC's
- 03/04 Cobra Bilsteins
- H&R SuperSport OR Steeda Sport Springs
- Swaybars (Eibach for example).
- MM 4-pt K-member brace

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member

If you want a nice ride, I would not go with Race springs. They have STIFF spring rates. That combined with a solid-axle make for a teeth shattering ride over dips/bumps. Here is a good link that details the spring rates of stock and aftermarket springs for the Mustangs.
Coil Spring Tech

- MM FLSFC's
- 03/04 Cobra Bilsteins
- MM 4-pt K-member brace

What shocks and struts come in the MACH'S? Also do you have a site for the 4-pt k member brace? I don't want as much drop as the H&R SS provide. Maybe go with the regular sports. If I ever get sway bars it will be way down the list and I would go with Steeda most likely.

I've considered UPR LCA's (I hear to keep the stock uppers), MM FLSFC's,H&R or Eibach springs, no clue on shocks and struts and I'll check into the brace.

EVO-lution

Established Member

Coil Spring Tech

- MM FLSFC's
- 03/04 Cobra Bilsteins
- MM 4-pt K-member brace

wouldn't he need an IRS for the cobra bilsteins? I thought they are a bit shorter or visa versa.

Good set up choice though.:beer:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
wouldn't he need an IRS for the cobra bilsteins? I thought they are a bit shorter or visa versa.

Yeah whoops ...good catch. I had D-specs back when I was solid axle, but regular Bilsteins will do the job.

I forgot about LCA's. Stock UCA's are good, just box them. The poly bushings in UCA's tend to tear if run hard. I went with MM adjustable LCA's; I was impressed with them because I could dial in the rear height if the springs didn't settle correctly.

Mach's come with Tokico shocks from the factory ...not sure of their specs compared to aftermarket.

clc44

Established Member
I just looked at the spring rate chart. I'm in between 5 springs in order of preference;Vogtland, Ford C, H&R Sport, Eibach Pro Kit and Steeda Sports. I would probably install them without ISO'S to get a touch lower stance. I really like the rate of the C springs. The fronts are a little stiffer but the rears are pretty much the same. Would these be good for the strip or do I need a softer spring?

I will definitely do LCA's but they will probably be UPR, BMR or JDM.

The shocks I posted are probably to similar to stock. Wouldn't an adjustable shock/strut benefit me?

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Which one of the springs would be best for double duty?

I'm still thinking Strange Adj. shocks & struts. What do you think about them?

dsg04MACHone

Established Member
When I was looking into good shocks and struts that were good for pretty much the same things you want, I was recommended to Koni Yellows. They're adjustable. Putting them in this weekend so no real experience on how they drive but everything I read about them was good.

Users who are viewing this thread