Suspension help!

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I don't have experience with Koni Yellows or Strange, I can really only speak to the D-specs and they suited my needs very well; which was pretty much your current needs.

Where did you get them? I'm considering coil overs but don't know the REAL benefit of them.

By placing the spring/shock concentric to one another, your suspension geometry improves. Maximum Motosports explains it pretty well.

Maximum Motorsports said:
Q.What are the benefits of switching to a coil-over front suspension?

A. Better handling and better ride quality! When the spring is in the stock location on the control arm, the minimum spring rate for performance handling is 700 lbs/in. Better handling can be had with higher spring rates, but ride quality begins to suffer with rates over 850 lbs/in. A coil-over kit allows the use of wheel rates that are much higher than those obtained with an 850 lbs/in spring in the stock location. This will dramatically reduce body roll and brake dive. Other benefits include easily adjustable ride height, the ability to fine tune corner weights, ease of bumpsteer measurement, less weight, and a wide selection of available spring rates.

Q. Are there any disadvantages of running a coil-over suspension on my Mustang?

A1. There may be tire and wheel clearance issues, depending on the wheel size, back spacing, and tire size. For example, our Mustang coil-over conversion kit will not interfere with a 275/40/17 tire on a 17X9 Cobra wheel on an 1987 Mustang with 1995 spindles. The Konig Villain wheels will require a ¼" wheel spacer for clearance.

A2. Because the upper spring perch lowers the point where the bumpstop contacts the chassis, all non-Bilstein coil-over conversions will reduce the amount of available bump travel (no matter what others tell you). We have seen other kits that reduced the available bump travel by over one inch. To maximize bump travel, Maximum Motorsports carefully designed the upper spring perch assembly — it provides over ½" more travel than most other kits. Also, our exclusive bumpstop helps regain some of the lost travel because it is shorter and softer than conventional Mustang bumpstops. Don't be tempted to regain bump travel by not using bumpstops. Damage to your Mustang, caster/camber plate, or strut will occur when the suspension bottoms.

clc44

Established Member
That all makes a lot of sense. Thanks man, What is your set up? How would it be for my needs? You can PM me if you don't want everyone knowing. I'm starting to figure some things out. The hardest part is doing these things on a budget.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
That all makes a lot of sense. Thanks man, What is your set up? How would it be for my needs? You can PM me if you don't want everyone knowing. I'm starting to figure some things out. The hardest part is doing these things on a budget.

I've gone [almost] all out. :lol1: This is probably wayyy more than what you need. I did all of this right out of college, still single, good job.

MM Coilovers (350lb front, 550lb rear)
Bilstein Shocks (Cobra)

QA1 K-member
MM A-arms

MM FLSFC's
SMR Rear strut brace (used to have a Steeda front strut brace, but had to remove it for the F1A install).

Eibach swaybars
Steeda (front) billet-swaybar mounts

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I went with the Eibach pro springs, Tokico shocks, steeda cc kit, flsfc's, steeda strut tower and black chrome Mach1 replicas. We saved $ by doing all the work ourselves.

clc44

Established Member
I've gone [almost] all out. :lol1: This is probably wayyy more than what you need. I did all of this right out of college, still single, good job.

MM Coilovers (350lb front, 550lb rear)
Bilstein Shocks (Cobra)

QA1 K-member
MM A-arms

MM FLSFC's
SMR Rear strut brace (used to have a Steeda front strut brace, but had to remove it for the F1A install).

Eibach swaybars
Steeda (front) billet-swaybar mounts

I am really considering the coil overs in the front. I will check into some of that stuff, but like you said I don't need all of those things.

I got mine from autoanything. They have sales pretty consistently. You can get 10% off like nothing.

I will check the site out.

I went with the Eibach pro springs, Tokico shocks, steeda cc kit, flsfc's, steeda strut tower and black chrome Mach1 replicas. We saved $ by doing all the work ourselves.

I will do a lot of the installs by myself. How do those Eibach Pro springs work on the track?

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I am really considering the coil overs in the front. I will check into some of that stuff, but like you said I don't need all of those things.

I had coilovers only up front for a while. It made the car more bouncy because of the difference in geometry.

clc44

Established Member
So you changed? I can't make up my mind. What springs would you suggest for street/strip benefits? The ones I am looking are mostly to lower the car and thats it.

otownpj

Established Member
i am using the MM starter box w/ sportlines and bilsteins on all 4's, Very happy with the setup, goodluck

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
I got mine from autoanything. They have sales pretty consistently. You can get 10% off like nothing.

Right now the discount code "loyalty" gets you 15% off. I just ordered Koni STR's for just over $300 shipped. Can't wait to see how they do compared to my 98,000 mile stock Tokicos.

I've been very happy with the Eibach Prokit springs. Tightened up the dive and squat and just overall the car feels more connected to the road.

clc44

Established Member
Let me know how you like those shocks/struts. Also if you could get some pics after install that would be great.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
So you changed? I can't make up my mind. What springs would you suggest for street/strip benefits? The ones I am looking are mostly to lower the car and thats it.

Yes, I changed to full coilover and the car was night/day in terms of balance and cornering stability (compared to just coilovers up front and coil-springs in the rear).

Street/strip ...Prokit, Steeda Sports, H&R SS. I think you'll be satsified with either.

RcodeStang

Established Member
If you're serious about making the car turn, go straight to coilovers. The prokit is softer than stock and drops the car way too far, double bad for handling.

Just to put things into perspective...

stock springs: 600lb
H&R race springs: 850lb
325lb coilover: equal to 1170lb stock location springs

I went with H&R race springs so that I could stay in "street prepared" autocross class and I regret every cent they cost. I'm now going coilovers and have very large 250 dollar paper weights.

Also, damping is everything. My car with race springs and bilstein HDs rides better than the stock suspension setup did.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I will do a lot of the installs by myself. How do those Eibach Pro springs work on the track?

I only tracked my Camaro. But I did practice a few launches on the street and the wt transfer was very good. Not as good as shocks made specifically for the 1/4 but def a good compromise for a DD that see's the track on weekends. This is what she looked like with the Eibach Pro kit, wheels etc. Low enough to improve cornering etc- not so low that you scrape the underside on everything.

carscatsandsnow065.jpg

carscatsandsnow063.jpg

RcodeStang

Established Member
^ But if I go that route it will hurt my strip performance correct?

Probably? I have no idea. You can't really have your cake and eat it to.

Low enough to improve cornering etc- not so low that you scrape the underside on everything.

Lowering will hurt cornering, not improve it.

Do you have a picture of your car from behind? I like what you did with the trunk.

Users who are viewing this thread