SVTP full of rich people?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
There are some real "ballers" around here, and there are also some guys who claim to be, but in reality are either lieing out their butts or absolute frauds (Cobra Wolverine).

That said, we have a lot of members of various age groups that are all in various areas of their life and financial position. That said, all of them have van interest in high performance cars so whether they make $30,000 or $300,000 their dumping money into their rides. SVTP just happens to be a collective of those particular enthusiasts.

But in all reality, someone who has a hobby of Mustangs will find a way to own one and finding a decently built one used isn't hard. Plus, you can reach 600+ HP relatively on the cheap with 03-04 Cobras. The Ford GT section is obviously going yo attract higher income folks to the site, but on a decent salary owning a Cobra isn't really a pipe dream...especially if you're single or have a 2 income family that doesn't have huge living expenses.

I'm 25, married, but bought my Cobra a few years ago used for a steal considering what it would have cost me to do it from scratch. Still cost me a few grand to forge the bottom end, but I could have spent that on a couple of vacations I never went on. Its paid off now, registrations on $50 a year and its pretty reasonable really to insure. I mean, most of friends are blown away by my car thinking its awesome and wishing they had one, but most of them just buy newer boring cars that usually cost more to own.

Posted via Topify using Android

Last edited:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
The common theme in most of the threads that people have pulled back the curtain a bit on their personal financial lives is HARD WORK. I'm not talking about putting in 40 and then kicking back. Most of these people are grinders. They put it 50-60 hour weeks or they work odd hours or weekends or really difficult jobs.

That's pretty weak. I used to clock 60 hours at work while going to school full time (not that I always went to class) and still had plenty of time to dick around. Now that I'm out of school I can't remember the last week I had where I didn't pull 100 hours.

DaleM

Sebring SVTOA
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
That's pretty weak. I used to clock 60 hours at work while going to school full time (not that I always went to class) and still had plenty of time to dick around. Now that I'm out of school I can't remember the last week I had where I didn't pull 100 hours.

I recall when I never slept for weeks on end we only got 90 second bathroom breaks once a day!

Para81

Established Member
I'm the contractor doing your job in Afghanistan :) I've been working my ass off for the last 12 years.

I was enlisted in the Army so I know how hard you work for how little. Have you considered becoming an officer or contractor?

VictorySong

Established Member
Nothing on this planet is worth working 60 hours a week for. Work smarter, not harder.

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
I'm maybe in the top 10%, but 1% would be a big stretch. Minnesotans with money generally aren't overly flashy.

Last edited:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
I recall when I never slept for weeks on end we only got 90 second bathroom breaks once a day!

I do rotational work - 2 weeks on, 1 week off. Also sleep when I'm on location from time to time if we're down for any reason. I've pulled 126 hours in a week before, but now that I'm slowly working my way up that won't ever happen again. Gotta make sacrifices to own a Boss at 22.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
As I'm reading through some threads and looking at people's signatures I'm thinking this place is either 1: full of some really wealthy people or 2: there is a lot of shop owners which I guess would make good money as well.

I say this cause there are some people on here that talk about buying Z06's, Shelby's, gt500's, ford gt's, GTR's and what not like its nothing. Those who are not talking about buying according to there sig they already own one or more of the afore mentioned vehicles and are running upwards of 900 HP. Now I know that can't be cheap.

I myself admittedly am not an educated man I barely graduated high school. I am a 28 year old army infantryman where even deployed I would be lucky to clear 50k a year. I'm just wondering what y'all do for a living cause even if I was making 100k a year (my idea of comfortable living) I don't see myself being able to buy a $100k car.

Is he talking about Ben?

raustin0017

Established Member
Started off just like you...an enlisted man in the military. Ended up serving 30-years and retiring as E-9. That equals 75% of E-9 pay. Get as much education as you can. No matter how long you serve it will pay when you do get out. Use your funds wisely...and stay out of credit trouble. About 15 years ago I started investing all the Per-diem, tax free income and hazard fire pay. I also saved 15% of my monthly income. Serving as enlisted in the military has many challenges. One of them is total income. Be patient and keep working hard to get promoted. Stay in as long as you can to secure a solid retirement. You will know when it is time to retire. Never thought I would stay 30...but the Air Force fit me like a glove. BTW...thanks for serving!

I hear y'all, I'm not "hating on the rich man" just wondering how y'all do it. Know having a budget is something I need to work on and I think after this deployment I will be able to be better at it due to having some bills paid off along with my current car that I will use as a down payment for a terminator with some additional cash on top of that. I'm looking to only finance about $6,000 tops for the terminator. That along with a cheap apartment for the roughly 7 months I'll have left in the army when I return should make things easy.

Jack Burton

Established Member
Great thread, quality answers, real talk. I own a body shop, work 50-60 hours a week, and here i am on Sunday doing suspension and painting my valve covers on the Cobra. Having a skill goes a long way these days, just graduating college doesnt mean shit anymore. Youth has to realize how important skills and real hard work are now, or they will be in their parents basements for a long time. Keep working hard, save what you can, and i agree, buy CASH. Going into debt for car parts is like cheating on your wife, that 8 minute boner is great, but you'll pay for it forever.:rolling::rolling::rolling:

It varies. I have clients that have your hours per work, and then some. Also working on Sundays. Sometimes after a few years a pays off, more often then not it doesn't. Having a degree pays off, but more often than not it doesn't.

The ones that own their own shops, and are doing it right, aren't working Sundays. They have a proper shop manager. They are also taking advantages of all the breaks.

Ask me how I know. I have over 1,000 of them.

dynasty_v6

Established Member
I do rotational work - 2 weeks on, 1 week off. Also sleep when I'm on location from time to time if we're down for any reason. I've pulled 126 hours in a week before, but now that I'm slowly working my way up that won't ever happen again. Gotta make sacrifices to own a Boss at 22.

Occupation and wage?

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
My wife and I do very well together, we travel a lot, and buy pretty much anything we want, when we want. I'm not bragging, we put in our share of overtime at work for that reason. I try and image where we would be financially had I not been married/divorced to my ex wife....:nonono:

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You're on a forum that deals with the upper echelon mustangs that cost $35-55k brand new. Most these guys on here with these cars that they bought brand new did very well for themselves. Prolly went to college, got a great education and got very well paying jobs. Also, I've noticed, many live in areas where the cost of living is lower, so you can have a bug house and nice cars without breaking the bank.

paynecasey

Established Member
I think its a mix.

1. ) some people not living below their means.

2. ) saving up and buying nice cars with no financing (me in ten years)

3.) Rich SOB's.

4.) Fakes

2004Droptop

Established Member
Figure out what you want, focus, maintain focus, obtain your goal... move on to the next. Can apply to cars, jobs, houses etc etc etc whatever. You are just going to have to work hard and probably sacrifice some luxury. Most importantly invest in yourself early, education or trade...don't take the easiest path out the gate, you can reap the benefits later.

KingJacobo

GM Fanboy Gone Darkside
Established Member
Figure out what you want, focus, maintain focus, obtain your goal... move on to the next. Can apply to cars, jobs, houses etc etc etc whatever. You are just going to have to work hard and probably sacrifice some luxury. Most importantly invest in yourself early, education or trade...don't take the easiest path out the gate, you can reap the benefits later.
This. Right now I'm 22, finishing up college and DD'ing an old grandma car to most people (a 4v and comfy leather is all I need) while I save up for a Trans Am next year after I graduate. I waited until this past summer to get a smartphone, only because my job required it.

Cut corners where you can, plan for the long term, forget everyone else with flashy stuff. Save for what's important to you. To me, everyone with expensive clothes and new (typically grocery getter) blowing their $$ at the bars and doing absolutely nothing productive/hobby related on weekends aren't passionate about much, if anything.

As a car guy, it's your duty to not buy junk, and save up for that car you can't afford just yet instead.
.....Or longtubes once you get it :burnout:

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Being filthy disgusting rich, handsome, hung, and have new hot GFs weekly isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Trust me, I know.

Actually, it is pretty sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Just impersonate a drug enforcement officer. You'll get into the best clubs, get multiple girlfriends in an open relationship, and make so much money you can charge climbers to scale your mountain of cocaine.

SADDLE

Rock Chalk
Established Member
I once read a good description of a "car enthusiast forum"... People spending money they don't have to impress people they don't know... Pretty much sums things up a majority of the time.

Simply put, you just have to be smart with your money, regardless of how much or little of it you have. Paying interest on anything short of a mortgage is financial suicide in most cases. Buy low sell high applies to all aspects of life. If you're buying a car, buy it cash. BE PATIENT! If it's worth having it's worth waiting on.

Probably the best piece of advice for the OP is STAY OFF THE FORUMS! Spending time here for you is probably torture and will cause you to make poor financial decisions (see quote above). Revisit us when you 1.) have money to buy your dream car or 2.) have purchased said dream car and have a bankroll built up to burn thru on mods. I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to shoot you straight.

Good luck and thank you for your service to our GREAT nation.

saleensc281

Established Member
Longevity in the military has its benefits. Currently own my own house (bought last year brand new), put down a substantial down payment, due to trade equity, for my 2010 Stage 3 Roush, and the wife pays for her 2012 Altima all on one income. Looking to purchase a F250 7.3 diesel truck upon my redeployment as a daily driver and tow rig. Wife is currently in school for her Masters and will graduate next year and start teaching. Having two incomes will be nice. I retire in 3 years from the Army, upon which I will try and get a job as a DoD IG or persue a career in Law Enforcement. So between the retirement check, and two incomes plan on living comfortably and being able to save money for retirement. A lot of my/our sucess is derived from hard work, and smart decisions. Having a good credit score is crucial, a lesson I learned the hard way. Just have to hang in for the long haul. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread