SVTP full of rich people?

3rd X Cobra

Established Member
Great thread, quality answers, real talk. I own a body shop, work 50-60 hours a week, and here i am on Sunday doing suspension and painting my valve covers on the Cobra. Having a skill goes a long way these days, just graduating college doesnt mean shit anymore. Youth has to realize how important skills and real hard work are now, or they will be in their parents basements for a long time. Keep working hard, save what you can, and i agree, buy CASH. Going into debt for car parts is like cheating on your wife, that 8 minute boner is great, but you'll pay for it forever.:rolling::rolling::rolling:

jbs$

Established Member
It is my observation in life, when I see people who have worked 50-60 hour + per week, for years, managed their affaires well, then, I am amazed at how luckey they have become.

sdg97232

Established Member
OP 1st let me say thank you for your service to our country.......I think I fall into the 95% of guys on this site that are FAR from wealthy but truly love this hobby and are willing to do what it takes to make their goals come to reality. As for myself I work offshore I'm an OSV captain and I'm working on a highend build for my 03 cobra. I just spent 14 straight weeks offshore to be able to pay for my engine, trans and turbo setup I wanted for my cobra. Hell as I type this I'm sitting on my boat working the whole month this time, sacrificing time I could be at home being lazy! I know in the end all the hard work will pay off however as I'll have a show quality 800+ rwhp monster terminator that I won't owe a penny on. Like said above horse power junkies find a way to make it happen just stay focused work hard and you'll be rocking all the mods you want!

Last edited:

svtaddict

Established Member
my wife and i dont make pull in about 100k a year own a house and have four cars. two paid two that arent. the ones that arent are the cobra and sho. we dont go buying the latest and greatest gadgets. i only have one desktop pc. we dont have multiple dvrs throughout the house just one receiver in the living room and basic throughout the rest of the house. My house is a work in progress. i refuse to take out a loan on my morgage just to fix up my home. also we have two boys a seven year old and a three year old. we just try to live way below our means. my wife is also really tight with money so she keeps me in check. otherwise i would already be sporting a whipple grrrrr.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
LOL OP is poor, go bang a super model while driving a real mans car and get to our level bro

just kidding nice to see some quality answers in here

xenodragon

Established Member
Also keep in mind that alot of people that have these nice cars in their signature got them used at half the price (z06's 30-40k, vipers 40k etc). Yes there are a few individuals on this site that can flat out buy the expensive stuff brand new and for cash, but the majority of us cannot. The majority of us are older and have saved $$ for a number of years to be able to afford the cars we have.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
There are certainly a lot of people who work hard and earn what they've got to comfortably enjoy their toys but I would submit that some people may not be as "rich" as you think. I've known more than one person that has had a very, very nice car or cars... and that's all they had. If you looked at just about any other aspect of their life, their standard of living was low because they were focusing all of their income on their vehicle just to be able to afford it and modify it as they desired.

This.

And you're only seeing one aspect of their financial lives. I know a guy who's a minor celebrity on here that you would think was a millionaire several hundred times over if you looked at what he has parked in his garage. The reality is, is he's in debt up to his eye balls, has more money in cars than he does in his house, and only makes a modest living.

It's all in your priorities. Some people have the money to do it all. Some people focus their resources on their car and max out their credit cards in the name of modifications. Some people drive something modest because they prefer to spend the money elsewhere. Diff'rent strokes.

VictorySong

Established Member
I'm surprised more people don't buy nice cars. I live nicely on $10,200 a year and can't figure out what the hell people are blowing their money on. :D Plenty in savings. I thought about financing a 99-02 CTD but, for what I would have paid in interest I could have bought a transferable Mac-10 instead. I'd rather drive my current truck and spend more money on NVG, guns, and ammo. ;-)

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I'm by no means wealthy, but I was able to pay cash for my Cobra recently and have zero debt other than Mortgage. But it's also a Terminator and not a '13 GT500 because I wasn't willing to take out a loan or take that amount of money out of savings. I believe it's about understanding your spending, or as I usually refer to it - understanding how to live cheap. I just don't spend money on things that are a waste. We only eat a $40+ meal out maybe twice a month and it doesn't bother me at all. Allot of it just comes with getting older and wiser.

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
buymoney_zps4c49b89d.jpg

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I average 60+ hours a week. Solid work. Not one minute of downtime. When my work is done, I go home for the night, but am never truly off duty, unless I'm out of the state. Wish I had more time to enjoy my toys, kids, wife, hobbies, etc. I live well within my means. Couple car loans, small construction loan, but no mortgage, and just paid off the last of my school loans (which were big).

oldmodman

Established Member
Yeah, like you would not marry Treynor! LOL!

No. Would not marry.

But if he (and his cute, fast wife) are looking to adopt I will make myself available.

Here is how to become moderately well off.

Work real hard. If you work for a company that allows overtime take every second you can get. I worked between 55 and 65 hours a week for twenty years and saved every penny. Plus I put 15% into the company saving plan which they matched up to the first 8%.

Never rent anything or buy anything on time. Buy the cheapest house you can find and live there while working your ass off and fix it up yourself.
Pay off your credit card every month IN FULL. If you have to drive an old, shitty car while you are saving money, so be it.

After I had saved enough money I started my own Broadcast Service Company. I bought used gear, serviced it myself and rented it out and did video capture services, duping, editing. Anything that would bill hours every month. I remember lots of days that started at 5am and ended after midnight, seven days a week for months. I also remember earning 600K that year too.

Another huge expense to avoid is a wife. I only know one friend that is worth more now than before he got hitched. And it's because she is an attorney and a partner in a law firm. And they never had children and are still together. Everyone else lost half their lifetime wealth in the divorce.

Then there are the downsides of beating yourself to a pulp working all your life just to get comfortable. Your health. In my case heart attacks and a stroke.

But at least I know I will outlive my wealth no matter how long I hang on.

Users who are viewing this thread