Swapping steering wheels on 2012 GT

ArabianOak

Established Member
I have the chinsy base model steering wheel...it's pretty weak looking. I was wondering how tough it is to swap for the "premium" steering wheel or maybe the boss or GT500 wheel...

Are they a direct fit and how tough is the install if they are considering the airbag and whatnot...

And if it is easy, who wants to sell me theirs...lol

george.arnold

Established Member
I've heard that it is not hard to swap over the sync controls to the Boss 302 wheel. I'm looking at that upgrade as well.

Erick

Established Member
The swap is very easy. You don't even need a steering wheel puller. First remove the plugs on the side of the wheel that allow access to the airbag bolts. Remove the + terminal off the battery and let it drain off for a few minutes. remove the two airbag bolts and the airbag will pretty much fall right out(unplug the harness). Next, remove the large hex bolt that holds the wheel on.

I put on a Boss wheel and swapped over the media controls from my stock wheel. It was very easy!

ArabianOak

Established Member
The swap is very easy. You don't even need a steering wheel puller. First remove the plugs on the side of the wheel that allow access to the airbag bolts. Remove the + terminal off the battery and let it drain off for a few minutes. remove the two airbag bolts and the airbag will pretty much fall right out(unplug the harness). Next, remove the large hex bolt that holds the wheel on.

I put on a Boss wheel and swapped over the media controls from my stock wheel. It was very easy!

awesome...is the boss one your ordered the same one i linked to?

i have the base model and my steering wheel is the shitty plastic one with only the crusie buttons on it (no audio)

will the boss steering wheel enable me to control the audio now?

thanks

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Erick, I see you got your post up while I was typing!!

I have installed a GT500 on my Base '11 GT, a 'Premium' GT wheel on my uncle's Base '11 GT and my DD Base '11 V6 and a Boss 302 wheel on my son's Base '12 V6.

It takes about 10 minutes to change out any of those wheels with a couple of sockets (24 MM for the steering wheel nut) after you disconnect the battery and let the car sit for about 30 minutes.

The wheels plug right into the harness of the Base steering wheel. The only thing that doesn't function is the radio controls and Sync button because the Base car doesn't support those. The lights for those buttons do work at night though.

It is a very nice upgrade over the stock steering wheel and is the main thing that I didn't like about the Base model.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Erick, I see you got your post up while I was typing!!

I have installed a GT500 on my Base '11 GT, a 'Premium' GT wheel on my uncle's Base '11 GT and my DD Base '11 V6 and a Boss 302 wheel on my son's Base '12 V6.

It takes about 10 minutes to change out any of those wheels with a couple of sockets (24 MM for the steering wheel nut) after you disconnect the battery and let the car sit for about 30 minutes.

The wheels plug right into the harness of the Base steering wheel. The only thing that doesn't function is the radio controls and Sync button because the Base car doesn't support those. The lights for those buttons do work at night though.

It is a very nice upgrade over the stock steering wheel and is the main thing that I didn't like about the Base model.

hell yeah! what happens if i forget to wait 30 minutes to pull the airbag off...does it pop? lol

ArabianOak

Established Member
btw, where did you guys get your steering wheels from? is that latemodelresto one a good price? there out of stock...anywhere else sell them?

snkchmr 1

I put the 08 Bullitt wheel in mine.
I don’t like buttons that don’t function.
Lowered50008.jpg

snkchmr 1

I got mine off ebay. You just have to remove the buttons from you old one & swap them out. It is very easy. I put the Shelby in my Dad's car & I hate the texture of that wheel.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
btw, where did you guys get your steering wheels from? is that latemodelresto one a good price? there out of stock...anywhere else sell them?

I got the GT500 and Boss 302 wheels from Tousley Ford and both of the 'Premium' GT wheels I bought from svtp forum members.

how hard is it to get the steering wheel perfectly aligned??

It has an alignment pin so it will be exactly right. Just make sure that your steering column is 'locked' before you remove the old steering wheel.

Scotty_5.0

Established Member
i ordered the BOSS wheel for my base model a few weeks back after i heard a rumor about the price of the wheel being jacked up to around the price of the GT500 wheel. not sure if that's true but i checked back on LRS and AM right after i received my shipping confirmation and both places were out of stock. currently being deployed i haven't had a chance to do the install but will be doing that as soon as i return.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I got mine off ebay. You just have to remove the buttons from you old one & swap them out. It is very easy. I put the Shelby in my Dad's car & I hate the texture of that wheel.

Are the cruise control buttons functional on the bullit wheel? Was it plug and play

ArabianOak

Established Member
lol...glad to see there is alot of interest on doing this mod to the base steering wheel. I can't believe ford put that nasty thing on the car. It is below rental quality imo...

Users who are viewing this thread