synthetic or regular oil

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
isnt there something about the dipstick reading inaccurately??

i also recall reading recently that Mobil 1 is now a synth blend and mobil 1 EP is the fully synth oil now.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Since you are new to Cobras, a few things to keep in mind.

Do not use anything thicker than 30W. Passages are tight and thicker oil may result in less protection.

You will likely experience some lifter noise if you go to 30W10. 30W5 is better for cold starting (even in hot climates). Just my opinion.

If you check the oil level immediately after shutdown, it will show low level on the dipstick. The heads hold a lot of oil, and since the return passages are small, it takes several minutes to drain back into the pan.Rule of thumb I use is to wait 15-20 minutes after a shutdown. You can try it yourself, check level immediately, then check it again 20 minutes later.

IMO, synthetic is better and can go longer between changes. Changing synthetic every 3,000 miles won't hurt, but is a waste of money. However, if you go longer, I strongly urge that you at least change the oil filter every 3,000 miles and send a sample into a good oil testing lab for analysis, such as Blackstone Labs.

I personally use Amsoil series 2000 0W30. I also go 12,000 miles between changes with filter changes and top off every 3,000 miles.

The Motorcraft oil filter is rated very high. Some aftermarket filters do not have an anti-drainback valve (usually just a silicone flap). Without this feature, the oil in the line downstream from the filter is allowed to drain back into the pan,so all startups require more time running until the oil pressure comes up. This is not good.

Do some searches on oil and changes to find some good tips on procedures and brands.

Smoking on startup seems to be normal on these engines. Oil gets sucked into the intake through the PCV (on the driver's side). This can be minimized by using a catch can (search and you'll find several threads with pictures).

One last thing, before spending money on mods, do a search.It may save you a lot of money.

Good luck with the new ride. :beer:

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
svtcobrar2004 said:
ok then dont bother posting. maybe he wants opinions from different people that haven't posted in the past threads. and the guy just join the forums. so chill out you old fart

btw i use fully synthetic mobil 1 5w-20

are you sure it's "fully synthetic"? ;-)

BTW, what good are opinions from people who haven't done any research and thus don't really know what they're talking about?

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There ya go JB, some information he can definitely use. That's a great link. I've used it myself in the past.

DarkShadowSnake

DarkShadowSnake
Established Member
thanks for the tip on waiting 15-20 min. I checked it like I usually do, right after I shut the car off. I put another qt in today which makes 6 because with 5 there was nothing on the dipstick. After I put the 6th qt in I checked it right after I shut if off and it was right above low. I'll check it again tomorrow and wait awhile first.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Regard using the dip stick to check your oil level. There is a TSB on this.

TSB 03-08-03 ENGINE - ENGINE OIL LEVEL INDICATOR MARKINGS - REPORTS OF LOW OIL LEVELS
ISSUE
Reports from the field indicate incorrect or low engine oil levels are being found at Pre-Delivery Inspection on new vehicles received in dealer inventory. In most cases, the level is being misinterpreted because the fluid fill mark on the stick is not touching the top hash mark at the upper limit (or MAX mark), or is partway down the crosshatch area.

SERVICE INFORMATION
Ensure the vehicle is sitting on level ground. Set the park brake and ensure the transmission selector lever is in PARK position, or in FIRST gear on manuals. The engine must be OFF.

The best time for determining oil level is before the engine is started and the oil has had sufficient drainback time to the sump. If the engine has been running, allow it to sit for a few minutes turned off. An oil drainback period is required before taking an initial reading.

If the level falls below the lower hole, fill with one quart of oil. If one quart is insufficient to raise the level above the mark, add oil until it records within the crosshatch area. Use caution during this procedure as some time is needed for oil to drain down through the drainback passages in the cylinder head, to the oil pan. Adding oil a quart at a time repeatedly without sufficient drainback may overfill the sump.

ACTION
Ford is in the process of standardizing the markings across all vehicle lines. Current markings shown will be upgraded to a refined marking, shown in Figure 1. Both markings will be used in production over the next few years. Oil levels will still be recorded in the crosshatched area of the blade, between the upper and lower limit holes. Vehicles shipped with engine oil levels falling within this area are acceptable and do not require topping off. Oil fill quantities are precisely measured at the plants and account for slight variations that may occur in oil pan volumes, indicator length, and pressed-in locations of the indicator tube into the block. For customer use, the markings continue to serve as a guide to refilling the engine to the correct initial fill volume with filter or, to top off the engine when it is determined the level is below the lower hole.

If the oil level falls between the upper and lower hole do not add more oil. Adding an extra quart could cause overfilling and may result in aeration (foaming) causing eventual damage to vital bearing surfaces and moving parts inside. Overfilling will require some oil to be drained out until the indicator shows the level between the upper and lower holes of the blade. DO NOT expect the engine to “consume” the extra oil back down to the upper oil fill level hole, or consider it as extra lubrication protection for the engine.

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread