T45 re-install troubles...help me :(

Dj97SN95

Established Member
Took my trans out to do the clutch and now when I'm trying to put it back in the input shaft on the trans hits the ears on the pressure plate and the shifter nub won't go back in the hole up top. I'm using two floor jacks and a janky little trans jack but no matter which way I try and angle things I cant seem to get it right. The trans came out somehow so why is it so far off trying to put it back in? Is there anything I'm missing here or do any of you guys have any tips or tricks on how to get the t45 back in easily?:??:

mustanginky

Established Member
Put an angle on the engine. Get the back tilted downward. Put some light pressure on the crank pulley. I had the same problem. The motor mounts will allow it to tilt when removing but it snaps back upward when the trans is removed. Also get a second set of hands.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Put an angle on the engine. Get the back tilted downward. Put some light pressure on the crank pulley. I had the same problem. The motor mounts will allow it to tilt when removing but it snaps back upward when the trans is removed. Also get a second set of hands.

This.

The great the engine tilts down towards the rear the easier it is to align the input shaft.

Careful of the fluids in the tranny. If you don't have a yoke in the rear it will come out. :)

-Mark

bullitt_11

Established Member
Also make sure the transmission is in gear. This will help keep the input shaft from turning while you are trying to line up the splines.

Whit Clark

Established Member
Who's installing transmissions with fluid in them? Put it in dry and then poor it through the shifter housing. It's just that easy! Lol. Just adding my 2 cents is all. About to do this myself. Trying to find ll the info I can on them.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
tranny in gear is required. you may need to rotate the input shaft with the output to help rotate it to engage the disc. stabbing trannies sucks!

Tom

Dj97SN95

Established Member
thank you all for the advice. I jacked the motor up a little bit at the crank pulley, and removed that suspension bar that is located right under the bellhousing. With a little bit of angling with the jacks and a friend we managed to muscle the trans in without breaking anything.:rolling: What a PITA I hope I don't have to do that again for a long time

97snakebite

Established Member
thank you all for the advice. I jacked the motor up a little bit at the crank pulley, and removed that suspension bar that is located right under the bellhousing. With a little bit of angling with the jacks and a friend we managed to muscle the trans in without breaking anything.:rolling: What a PITA I hope I don't have to do that again for a long time
Don't forget to leave out that damn #3 starter bolt!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mustanginky

Established Member
no problem. glad we could help you out. more importantly i'm glad you got it back in. i just did a clutch in my car last year and it was a PITA without my dad's help. he came up and helped me get it back in. not sure i could have done it without him.

Users who are viewing this thread