T56-Cobra with a 26 spline input shaft!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
After the trans is out, does the trans have to be completely disassembled or can you get away with just pulling the bell housing/front cover and sliding the old shaft out and the new one in?

How heavy is the trans? Did you use a floor jack to support it when you R & R'd it?

Dana

dougwg

Established Member
George :p

Dana

I think it's about 75 lbs or so, the case has to be opened up.

JB used a Floor jack.

dana....Dana....DANA..... This is the MOD shootout calling your name......Dana? :)

Come on dude... make a road trip.....

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Do you have to pull the main shaft? Or slide it back, out of the way? How far does the trans have to be broken down? Top and front and tail housing? Any special tools?
Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I have not yet had one of these apart. Who has the diagrams/specs for the insides? Anything else needed besides the new shaft? Gaskets, seals, shims, etc?

I can do a RoadRanger with my eyes closed. Well, almost, anyway. How hard can these be?

Know anyone that sells an aftermarket attachment for the smaller floor jacks, something with like a 1" pin on the bottom?

Dana

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Ford still has my car. New clutch. Warrantee. Good Dealer!
10 spline this week, 26 spline next month? Oh, well. What's a new disc, right?
Timing has never been one of my strong points. Duh!!

No solid axle yet, either.

The car is running really good now though.

I'll make the next one for sure, Kentucky, right?

Dana

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Dana, Doug says that he don;t know chit about trannies but he does know that you missed a helluva good party (we have pics ;-)

if you've ever pulled apart a manual trans you should be able to do it with the T56

cya at Bowling Green :)

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Guess I had better start making plans for Bowling Green, hate to miss good parties.
I think I'll put in for some vacation time around then just to be safe. HA! HA!
All I know is that the solid axle better be finished by then.

Send me the pics that you can't post here. :)

Thanks JB. Yes, more transmissions than I care to count.
Sorry Doug.

Dana

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
I understand this new input shaft it is good for 550lb.-ft correct? Since its location is at the flywheel, I assume that the 550lb. ft pounds is rated at the motor, correct? Assuming a 15% drive train loss, how could that be enough for even a 480 RWTQ car much less one that make over 600lb ft pounds at the rear wheels?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
KWladyk -You are correct about the hp rating, and I don't really have any proof for you, but I have heard that the viper trans can handle a good amount of hp over 550. And if our trans is almost identical besides the input shaft, than once we swap to the viper input shaft than we should be fine.

I have never owned a viper so I am only going by what I see on the net but, it seems like the trans seems to hold up, even over 600rwhp. Think about all the vipers with some bolts on and NOS or a supercharger, just about all the vipers with power adders are making over 600rwhp/tq. Don't quote me on this, but I have a video of a viper running 9.4 in the 1/4mile and I think he might be using the stock trans but I could be wrong.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Basically the T-56 spec that the Viper uses is the strongest manual transmission I know of. If our trans is equivalent short of the input shaft then that is the best we can do short of going to an automatic transmission.

lethal

Established Member
I know doug shared that he feels the T56 we have is different only in that respect (input shaft) but is there any way we can get confirmation? I suppose we can wait for the first "conversion" T56 to break -- how many input shafts have failed on the stock trannys? What kind of hp/tq were they pushing?

John

Brian-

Are you going to make it Saturday for the SVTOA meeting?

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
I enjoy the 6 speed and manually shifting the car and will keep it that way. I want to increase the HP but for me it seems foolish to do more until it's clear the drive train will handle the additional pressure. Ultimately, I would like my manual transmission to handle something around 650 RWTQ or 750 Ft. lbs of TQ at the motor. I would feel better if it was clearly rated to do so.

If that viper that Kevin talked about has the HP/TQ to go into the 9’s and I’ve seen a vid of high-modified Z06 with a 135 shot (manual shifting as well) also run a 9.9 on ET Drags, then the transmission seems capable. I just wonder if it can stand up to repeated runs. The 550 lb rating (at the motor) just doesn’t give me the warm I can stand up to anything feeling.

Is it really true that the T56 viper spec is the strongest manual transmission we can use? And to clear up my understanding, is the input shaft the only difference between the viper and ours?

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
So nobody has seen the G-Force upgraded T-5 or T-56 written about in this month's MMFF? That looks like the strongest T56 out there..For me I'm looking forward to just this input shaft upgrade, I think for my purposes it will be plenty.

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
So nobody has seen the G-Force upgraded T-5 or T-56 written about in this month's MMFF? That looks like the strongest T56 out there..For me I'm looking forward to just this input shaft upgrade, I think for my purposes it will be plenty.

Yes, that looked promising and it says that they "should have them available by the time you read this." 900 hp rated. I assume that means replacing the entire stock transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread