Taking apart MT82?

CameronVic

Established Member
Taking apart MT82? Putting a TH400 in

Buddy blew his MT82 and we're putting a 400 in it. I can't figure out how to take this thing apart. I know my way around a 400 (somewhat), but this "manual" trans has me stumped.

We just wanna see how terrible it is inside, you should hear this thing. It's like an aluminum can with a bunch of rocks inside.

9FA533E8-3921-4282-9F69-C3023E587385-24751-00001B0D136BE235_zps0f7b7c3e.jpg

We got all the bolts out of the tailshaft (not sure if that's what it's called on this goofy "manual" trans) and it's not coming apart. I think he mighta broken it so bad thats the reason it isn't coming apart.

Last edited:

dbrford2003

Established Member
The tail end of the transmission has to be pressed off, the output shaft bearing is pressed in to the rear transmission case. Be careful grabbing it with a jaw puller as the case will break...don't ask me how I know. Lucky it is just cosmetic.

CameronVic

Established Member
Most likely, lol. Mine was a bitch to get off.

Or maybe just pound around the case with a hammer where the bearings is a maybe crack it so it relieves the pressure on the outer race?
Yeah why a gm tranny they are heavy, how bout this its built internally and comes with its own street smart control module which means no tuning the ecu.

Performance Automatic - 4R70W Street Smart Packages
If you were wondering, a TH400 weighs less than a 4R70w, and I imagine lot less than a 6R80. Not to mention the extra HP loss because of the extra rotating mass of the parts required to have OD in the 4R and the 6 gears in the 6R80.

That's just internet myths that "GMs weigh so much more" and "ZOMG you'll lose so much HP!". We bust internet myths all the time, and go fast because of it.

CameronVic

Established Member
The gear ratios are not very good in the th400 not to mention it only has 3 gears! What about drive shaft length and the tranny mount?

Oh christ. You don't know what you're talking about, you're just spouting off regurgitated knowledge that is false. He's got 3.27s in the back. That with a 2.48 first and 1.48 2nd is fine. And guess what, if it isn't, they make 2.10 and 1.40 gearsets!

He already has a mount for it that he got from some shop, and getting a correct driveshaft made won't bet that hard. Take the stock flange off the rear of the stock driveshaft, go to the junkyard, grab a police interceptor aluminum driveshaft, take a few measurements, get a TH400 slip yoke with 1330 u joints, and bam, driveshaft. And it'll be less than one he bought for his almighty MT82 ford brand transmission.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
The gear ratios are not very good in the th400 not to mention it only has 3 gears! What about drive shaft length and the tranny mount?

I guess the guy is planning on never ever taking a trip... or hopping on the hwy. Full racecar i guess?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Oh christ. You don't know what you're talking about, you're just spouting off regurgitated knowledge that is false. He's got 3.27s in the back. That with a 2.48 first and 1.48 2nd is fine. And guess what, if it isn't, they make 2.10 and 1.40 gearsets!

He already has a mount for it that he got from some shop, and getting a correct driveshaft made won't bet that hard. Take the stock flange off the rear of the stock driveshaft, go to the junkyard, grab a police interceptor aluminum driveshaft, take a few measurements, get a TH400 slip yoke with 1330 u joints, and bam, driveshaft. And it'll be less than one he bought for his almighty MT82 ford brand transmission.

Don't blow a gasket man, i see you have made up your mind. I guess I'm a parts racist, and don't like to see crossbred mustangs ..lol. with a 2:48 1st gear and 3:27 gears you will get smoked out of the whole by other mustangs with similar power and a 6r80 transmission!

CameronVic

Established Member
I guess the guy is planning on never ever taking a trip... or hopping on the hwy. Full racecar i guess?
Man you really believe everything you hear. LOL. Are the RPMs gonna be too high, his big stall will make anything more than 5mpg impossible! trans temps through the roof! OMG!!!

CameronVic

Established Member
Don't blow a gasket man, i see you have made up your mind. I guess I'm a parts racist, and don't like to see crossbred mustangs ..lol. with a 2:48 1st gear and 3:27 gears you will get smoked out of the whole by other mustangs with similar power and a 6r80 transmission!

wanna make a bet? You think you need huge gears to get out of the hole? I'll bet his 2.8 kenne bell will help a little with that.

Users who are viewing this thread