Taking apart MT82?

331coupe

Established Member
Oh christ. You don't know what you're talking about, you're just spouting off regurgitated knowledge that is false. He's got 3.27s in the back. That with a 2.48 first and 1.48 2nd is fine. And guess what, if it isn't, they make 2.10 and 1.40 gearsets!

He already has a mount for it that he got from some shop, and getting a correct driveshaft made won't bet that hard. Take the stock flange off the rear of the stock driveshaft, go to the junkyard, grab a police interceptor aluminum driveshaft, take a few measurements, get a TH400 slip yoke with 1330 u joints, and bam, driveshaft. And it'll be less than one he bought for his almighty MT82 ford brand transmission.

I'd go with like a 3.73 and drop that 2.48 gear set to like a 2.00 1st or something like that. Your trying to calm the car down on the starting line using rear gear, but the problem you see with that is when it makes the shifts into high gear, it doesn't have enough gear in the ass to pull it, and generally flatlines or even lugs and stops really accelerating. Calm the car down with the the gear set on the starting line, and put some gear in it so it has some nuts in it as it goes to high gear.

CPRsm

If the th400 has a Trans brake it will just sayin

The turbo 400 is a bad ass transmission :beer:

Not to mention the safety. People make blankets and SFI bells for 400's. That's what's going in my 500. 3.31's, and tall tires, don't need no stinking overdrive. If I want to cruise at 90 I'll buy a gear vendor and have 8 gears. Then I'll call all the 6spd autos race cars :)

CPRsm

It'll look a bit like this. You'll pull the case off, gears, then the aluminum plate below it before you can really see much.

image-45.jpg

01bluesnake

Established Member
OP i dont see why anyone should give a **** what you do... with your time, your car, and your money.

I don't think its that they care, but that they have little clue what they are talking about, so question everything they don't understand or spew wrong facts and information.

The turbo 400 is a bad ass trans, and the ability to run a trans brake is a huge benefit for a lot of cars at the strip. It is also no problem for DD use when set up with correct rear end gearing and a good converter. To the op, I was going to do a 400 swap on mine, but decided to keep Lock up and O/D so opted for a 4R with a trans brake. I'm keeping the power under a 1000whp, so the 4R should be ok with annual tear downs each winter. If I was trying to make more than that the 400 would be going in.

Last edited:

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
I finally got the back off and this was the result.......
858CBC5C-03B4-4C90-BFCD-BA18FF2B44E1-2747-000001BE581D08DF_zpsd4da0869.jpg

3C685D02-E1F0-45E9-9EA8-B1147A029782-2747-000001BE42E0206D_zps7b683687.jpg

7CD323DF-6CFB-44FC-884D-C23B1320AD86-2104-000001BDABBD3ADF_zpse0a37e31.jpg
I don't know what the gear is on the lower left side, it was just sitting there when I pulled the tail shaft off lol

CameronVic

Established Member
Why not, I've been 4.90's with a stock case glide, multiple times, in fact that trans is still alive and kicking behind another 4.80-4.90 car. I do like the 400 better though, lot of options on gear sets and very strong.

Well this shows my lack of experience with with glides. I didn't know the white girls got over here too!

CameronVic

Established Member
I'd go with like a 3.73 and drop that 2.48 gear set to like a 2.00 1st or something like that. Your trying to calm the car down on the starting line using rear gear, but the problem you see with that is when it makes the shifts into high gear, it doesn't have enough gear in the ass to pull it, and generally flatlines or even lugs and stops really accelerating. Calm the car down with the the gear set on the starting line, and put some gear in it so it has some nuts in it as it goes to high gear.

We're not looking to dump $1500-$2000 on gears and brake in a $150 Craig's List trans just yet. We'll see what it does with the stock set first. Who knows, it may be exactly what the car wants!

armycook1981

Established Member
What'd he have done to his car and how much abuse did it see?

runs a kb around 10-12 psi headers exhaust, etc..

countless runs in the 1/8th and 1/4 on a step launch as well. alot of horse play and general street abuse....

this trans did not have a good upbringing once Dillon took ownership LOl..

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
That's true it lasted longer than I expected!! Lol the trans was great for me until I shifted into 3rd, and felt and heard a pop! I turned to my wife and said I just broke my transmission, with blank stare, she said,"is that bad?"

CameronVic

Established Member
I just don't know what ford was thinking when they decided to try a completely new and untested trans behind their new flagship motor that the had to have known people were gonna thrash.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I think ford thought that if we kept the car stock the mt-82 would hold up! Thats a fair assessment! I don't think ford thought that alot of us would be building and exceeding gt-500 power levels with our gt's. otherwise we would have got tremecs in these. Ford didn't think we would risk our warranties to do so! Like most big corporations they are detached from the people that buy their products! And in all fairness the mt-82 was never engineered for 700+ hp!

Last edited:

331coupe

Established Member
I think ford thought that if we kept the car stock the mt-82 would hold up! Thats a fair assessment! I don't think ford thought that alot of us would be building and exceeding gt-500 power levels with our gt's. otherwise we would have got tremecs in these. Ford didn't think we would risk our warranties to do so! Like must big corporations they are detached from the people that buy their products! And in all fairness the mt-82 was never engineered for 700+ hp!

Agreed, if they had thought about it, they would have put better pistons and rods in the motor as well.

Users who are viewing this thread