Taking apart MT82?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
wanna make a bet? You think you need huge gears to get out of the hole? I'll bet his 2.8 kenne bell will help a little with that.

A kenny bell th -400 with 3:27 gears will not beat a kenny bell 6r80 with 3:27's, this is all I'm saying!

CameronVic

Established Member
A kenny bell th -400 with 3:27 gears will not beat a kenny bell 6r80 with 3:27's, this is all I'm saying!
This is total speculation. A 6r80 MIGHT out 60' it, but that's it. What's trans does the fastest 2011+ have in it? It's on the home page if you wanna check.

Too40gawlf

Banned
Interesting.

Would love to see photos of the internals of the MT-82 when you get it apart, if its not too much of a hassle.

CameronVic

Established Member
It's a footbrake car for now. I made the valve body a FMVB. I talked him into doing it like this for now and then maybe stepping up later if he wants to 60' and ET better

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
This is total speculation. A 6r80 MIGHT out 60' it, but that's it. What's trans does the fastest 2011+ have in it? It's on the home page if you wanna check.

Ok so this car is gonna be mostly a track car, and minimal street action? If so how do 2 speed power glides do on these cars cause i see alot of strip cars using them all the time?

CameronVic

Established Member
Interesting.

Would love to see photos of the internals of the MT-82 when you get it apart, if its not too much of a hassle.
Oh that's why we're taking it apart. You shoulda heard this thing when were were moving around last night! Sounds like an aluminum can with a bunch of bearings inside!

CameronVic

Established Member
Ok so this car is gonna be mostly a track car, and minimal street action? If so how do 2 speed power glides do on these cars cause i see alot of strip cars using them all the time?
I wouldn't put a stock case glide in his car. TH400 stock cases are way stronger. And glides are NOT cheap to build like a 400 is. The problem with a glide (for this app) would be that he'd have to put a shorter gear in the back to compensate for the 1.76-1.80 1st gear. Then he wouldn't have enough top end to keep from hitting the limitter. Not unless he had a neil chance converter with like 3% slip. LOL. Price one of those out. AHHA!

kingnut

Established Member
OP i dont see why anyone should give a **** what you do... with your time, your car, and your money.

CameronVic

Established Member
OP i dont see why anyone should give a **** what you do... with your time, your car, and your money.
My thoughts exactly. It's actually my friends car, we just help each-other a lot with our cars. And not one person here has offered to pay his car note. LOL. All I wanted to know was how to take apart the trans, not get counseled by some internet dads about how it needs to stay all ford, or that these TH400s are HP robbers!

If anyone was wondering, we initially tried to do the 6R80 route but that just got super expensive really fast. That one thread that some people hang their hats on about a 6R80 swap for something like $2400 and then acting like that can be replicated all damn day. GTFO. LOL. Deals exist, and if we wanted to wait 1-2 years for stuff to pop up for sale then yea, we could have done that.

Bud

Established Member
My thoughts exactly. It's actually my friends car, we just help each-other a lot with our cars. And not one person here has offered to pay his car note. LOL. All I wanted to know was how to take apart the trans, not get counseled by some internet dads about how it needs to stay all ford, or that these TH400s are HP robbers!

If anyone was wondering, we initially tried to do the 6R80 route but that just got super expensive really fast. That one thread that some people hang their hats on about a 6R80 swap for something like $2400 and then acting like that can be replicated all damn day. GTFO. LOL. Deals exist, and if we wanted to wait 1-2 years for stuff to pop up for sale then yea, we could have done that.

No shorter of opinions on the internet :lol1:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Lol term of the day "internet dads" lol... I think this thread got derailed because we didn't understand the value of this tranny for a street driven daily driver. most of us here are street driven daily drivers. Once we learned its going to be raced frequently we now understand the value of th-400 with a trans brake! The weight thing came in because I had a th-350 in my old nova and i changed it over to th-400 and i remember how heavy it was to put in with just a floor jack and jackstands.

Last edited:

331coupe

Established Member
I wouldn't put a stock case glide in his car. TH400 stock cases are way stronger. And glides are NOT cheap to build like a 400 is. The problem with a glide (for this app) would be that he'd have to put a shorter gear in the back to compensate for the 1.76-1.80 1st gear. Then he wouldn't have enough top end to keep from hitting the limitter. Not unless he had a neil chance converter with like 3% slip. LOL. Price one of those out. AHHA!

Why not, I've been 4.90's with a stock case glide, multiple times, in fact that trans is still alive and kicking behind another 4.80-4.90 car. I do like the 400 better though, lot of options on gear sets and very strong.

Bud

Established Member
Why not, I've been 4.90's with a stock case glide, multiple times, in fact that trans is still alive and kicking behind another 4.80-4.90 car. I do like the 400 better though, lot of options on gear sets and very strong.

What is the car weight on those?

Users who are viewing this thread