Talk me out of a GT500

samshady

Established Member
Evening everybody,

I'm currently on my 4th mustang, a 98 cobra and I've been "bored" with it for awhile and considered getting rid of it. In the past I bought GTs and played the replace everything game to make it just as "good" as a Cobra or performance mustang. I got tired of playing that game and went with the Cobra. Now I've been looking 2011 and up GT500 as the replacement. I plan on a pulley swap and tune possibly gears. I've done some reading, watched some youtube, and talked to some local shops. It appears to be split between the GT500 and a coyote motor GT with a super charger. The problem I have is this will be a semi-daily driver not a show queen or pretty weekend ride. Am I ruining a beautiful "limited" production car by driving it all the time and I should just get at GT. Or is it worth having a Shelby pay the extra $$$ up front and enjoy myself?

Thanks

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
A coyote motor GT with a supercharger still doesn't have the suspension, upgraded transmission (unless you really want auto), wheels (SVTPP) or general sex appeal. Someone's got to use up these cars up or the collector market will never go up.

Last edited:

samshady

Established Member
A coyote motor GT with a supercharger still doesn't have the suspension, upgraded transmission (unless you really want auto), wheels (SVTPP) or general sex appeal. Someone's got to use up these cars up or the collector market will never go up.

It won't be the same but it would appease my lust for power for a few months.

samshady

Established Member
How fast do you want to go?
I don't drag race or road race. I'm not even a street racer but, if I get some open road on the interstate I will open the throttle up. I've had my run-ins with the law when I was younger. I haven't matured just learned to use better judgement as to when and where to be dumb. I've got a 180+ horsepower crotch rocket so you'd think that would be enough. I'm thinking 500hp to the ground would keep me happy.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I daily drove my GT500 for quite some time. Sitting in traffic sucked but at least you’re in something fun.

I’ve had a blast with mine.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Talk you out of a GT500? ha. haha. bwahaha Ummm no. Get it. Love it. Smile the biggest damn smile you can because these cars are awesome! I got the deal of a lifetime on a clearance new 2014 GT M6. 5 m onths later I sold it to my dad and got my GT500. These cars are out of this world man... its just a different level. Absolutely, a Coyote car can be made just as fast and faster than a GT500. But it will never be as amazing.

A GT500 is a complete car out of the box. Its a very good performer with a pulley, intake and tune. But if youre willing to put some cash into it, its a platform to be a weapon of Gap destruction. You take a GT500 out for a test drive and hear the supercharger whine for the first time, youre hooked.

Unless its a super low production color combo, a Shelby American modified car or a 2008-2009 KR, they arent rare per se. They made about 45k GT500s from 07-14. 2 distinct generations, 3 distinct engines, the oddball 2010 GT500.

I daily drive mine. Never planned to, I had another car for that. But shes my daily now and I really enjoy it. Its got a McClead RXT so its a race clutch and stop and go traffic sucks. However its not terrible and the factory clutch is very street friendly.

The 2011 and 2012 is a great choice. Aluminum block, electric power steering, and the option for the SVT Perf Pack make them great cars. If you ask me, the 5.4L has been trouble free. If its going to be a street bruiser, its a solid choice.

Compared to a Coyote, the 5.4L 4V just has more grunt on the bottom end. Its cams are specifically designed for boost, whereas a forced induction Coyote is an NA profile that your shoving boost into. 11-14 Coyotes are great motors but their rods arent as strong as the GT500. the 15-17 Coyotes got they better rods from the Road Runner as standard. The Coyote will rev higher, but the power will fall off getting to redline even boosted.

Also, getting a Coyote means you will need EVERYTHING. Intercooler, pump, lower intake, blower, Heat exchanger etc. A GT500 is ready to go and already has everything to handle boost effectively. Upgrade each part as your needs grow.

Go with the GT500. You wont regret it.

cgaulzetti

Established Member
i recently picked up a 2008 GT500 with just under 60,000 miles that seemed pretty unmolested other than some dumb body work to presumably to make the driver look more like nicholas cage.... anyway- it is amazing. it's the best car i've ever had and you won't regret it. these cars are production ford shit boxes and they were designed and built to be driven everyday. they're not lamborghinis. buy the best GT500 you can afford and budget away another $10 grand to turn it into exactly what you want and you will not be disappointed. i just put ST XTA coilovers which came with camber plates, white line LCAs and a Whittling upper control arm- and this thing is now planted and dialed. i picked up a Fays Watts Link on craigslist and I've got a big heat extractor that is going in this week too. The next thing to do is a giant front sway bar to combat the last of the body roll- then it's drive the hell out of it! We'll probably grab some Mickey Thompson ET S/S street tires all around too to increase the grip on the track.
Anyway- my advice is to buy the car. it's relatively cheap for everything you are getting and you're going to spend a lot of money mickey mousing a GT to get anywhere near to what you start out with with a GT500. I'm honestly back in the Mustang fold because my 2008 Bullitt was the only car i ever loved and ever regretted getting rid of. I was on the hunt for one, then got dragged into some Boss 302 options and finally came upon a 2008 GT500 that I couldn't refuse. SO in short, from one new GT500 owner to another- go for it.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Jus too dam heavy for my taste..... and there is no auto option. The new 10 speed tranny is the cats ass so if I was looking at a GT500 it would have to be a new one with the 10 speed auto.

samshady

Established Member
i recently picked up a 2008 GT500 with just under 60,000 miles that seemed pretty unmolested other than some dumb body work to presumably to make the driver look more like nicholas cage.... anyway- it is amazing. it's the best car i've ever had and you won't regret it. these cars are production ford shit boxes and they were designed and built to be driven everyday. they're not lamborghinis. buy the best GT500 you can afford and budget away another $10 grand to turn it into exactly what you want and you will not be disappointed. i just put ST XTA coilovers which came with camber plates, white line LCAs and a Whittling upper control arm- and this thing is now planted and dialed. i picked up a Fays Watts Link on craigslist and I've got a big heat extractor that is going in this week too. The next thing to do is a giant front sway bar to combat the last of the body roll- then it's drive the hell out of it! We'll probably grab some Mickey Thompson ET S/S street tires all around too to increase the grip on the track.
Anyway- my advice is to buy the car. it's relatively cheap for everything you are getting and you're going to spend a lot of money mickey mousing a GT to get anywhere near to what you start out with with a GT500. I'm honestly back in the Mustang fold because my 2008 Bullitt was the only car i ever loved and ever regretted getting rid of. I was on the hunt for one, then got dragged into some Boss 302 options and finally came upon a 2008 GT500 that I couldn't refuse. SO in short, from one new GT500 owner to another- go for it.
Definitely not looking to buy a GT500 level car and drop 10k into it. If that's what it would take for me to like it, I'd have to pass. This will be a daily driver with decent power. Not a road race car that I drive on the streets brusing kidneys over every bump nor will it be a drag car that I can drive on the streets if I want to.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

samshady

Established Member
Jus too dam heavy for my taste..... and there is no auto option. The new 10 speed tranny is the cats ass so if I was looking at a GT500 it would have to be a new one with the 10 speed auto.
I know in most instances a well prepped automatic is faster than a manual. That being said, I'm on my 6th Ford vehicle and I will never trust they're overdrive automatics beyond 100k miles. With me driving I give them 50k miles. I know this trans was co-developed with Chevy. I rarely buy new vehicles, so to get in my price range it would be 2024 or beyond, before I could afford a 2019 GT500.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jenkins_1120

Established Member
pretty much everything lexustech said. It is a really easy car to daily or jump in just to run errands. Crazy to think ive had mine for 6 years now although its sat a lot because of deployments and time in korea.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@samshady, you've got to make the decision solely based on what you prefer, for any number of reasons. Me? It wouldn't even be a long consideration; GT-500 all the way. Preferably a '13-'14. You must have some leaning towards one or the other. If you have even an ounce of leaning towards a GT-500, don't buy a Coyote GT only to regret it soon after you take it home. I remember when I bought my '16 Edge Sport another dealership swapped the optional 21" black wheels (which I really wanted) for 20" standard polished wheels from another Edge Sport. I caught the window sticker discrepancy and my salesman offered discounts on a few of the included options. I chose to go with the discounts, but to this day I regret it every time I see an Edge Sport with the black wheels. I should have gone with what I wanted rather than get swayed by a minimal discount. I learned a lesson that I hope I'll never make again. Don't compromise if you have a clear choice. You'll never regret making a right decision. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread