Teens Watch and Laugh As Man Drowns - No Charges

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Good point. What are the good Samaritan laws when it comes to stuff like this. I was never clear on it.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
What I find interesting about this is that you do not have to have any basic human decency in the eyes of the law in Florida.

You can literally do nothing while another human's life is ending right in front of you, and you will not be charged with anything, according to the news article.

Do you think the outcome of this would have been different if that was a child drowning while 4-5 adults stood around laughing and making a video?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Good point. What are the good Samaritan laws when it comes to stuff like this. I was never clear on it.

Usually releases you from liability if you make good faith effort to rescue- like if dislocate their shoulder or rough them up a bit trying to pull them out of a burning Cars with Coffee Mustan... err Camaro.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
What I find interesting about this is that you do not have to have any basic human decency in the eyes of the law in Florida.
You can literally do nothing while another human's life is ending right in front of you, and you will not be charged with anything, according to the article.

Same with most every other state too, not just Florida.

Do you think the outcome of this would have been different if that was a child drowning while 4-5 adults stood around laughing and making a video?

If the child was unrelated to any of them, zero.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
You'd be surprised the amount of stupid shit people do, i.e. Being on the lake without knowing how to swim, and no life vest....

Which is why you won't catch me at the lake lol.

Authorities wouldnt have made it in time. Taking your assumption that the teens couldnt swim (id imagine at least a few of them COULD), why wouldnt they run inside to get some help from an adult?

Whole story is pretty sickening.

You'd be surprised. I took my nieces to the water park a couple of weekends ago, they didn't want to go to the deep (5-6ft) end of the wave pool. Then said it's because they couldn't swim, they're 12 and 14. I feel there is no reason they shouldn't know how to swim, they have it way better than when I grew up. I talked to my brother and we plan to have them take swim lessons soon.

Video is very sickening, with them being so young and this becoming a national story hopefully they learn a lesson from it.

tistan

Established Member
They had to have been at there for a while before they even started recording. These turds had plenty of time to call for help and refused to do so. I am not sure how refusing to call the police for help or to report the death isn't a crime. I am moving in the next couple months, the first thing I checked before I settled on a place were demographics. This is becoming normal behavior, and I'm going to be as far from it as possible.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Not to shit on the deceased, but the guy who drowned didn't exactly look like a productive member of society either.... Looks like the typical gang banger we have here on the Southside of Chicago. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. It seems both parties involved look and sound like complete trash who the world would be better without. Here is the deceased's past mugshot.

467dfe15bb6c91fabaf95e86d3457b4c

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Not to shit on the deceased, but the guy who drowned didn't exactly look like a productive member of society either.... Looks like the typical gang banger we have here on the Southside of Chicago. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. It seems both parties involved look and sound like complete trash who the world would be better without. Here is the deceased's past mugshot.

36934852.jpg

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Found some interesting info on this:

Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, in a 2012 legal argument, summarized that across the U.S. there’s no general duty to render aid to someone in distress.

“You don’t have the duty to rescue someone if that person is in danger. The blind man is walking in front of a car and you do not have a duty to stop him absent some relation between you,”

“Generally, throughout the U.S., there is no duty to rescue,” said David Weinstein, a former federal prosecutor now in private practice. Still, he added: “It seems like common sense that those kids should have tried to help the guy instead of filming it.”

There are some differences in various states, but Weinstein said exceptions typically include required assistance in car crashes; for people in special relationships with others such as police officers, firefighters, teachers, married couples, common carriers such as bus drivers and employers; and if you yourself put the other person in danger in the first place.

You would think that in this Great country of ours we would have some kind of law that states you have to at least call out or go for help if it is a life threatening situation.

I mean, just imagine if your kid was playing at the park and had a full on asthma attack and everyone just stood around doing nothing except laughing and taking video as your son/daughter took his/her last breath. SMH

Users who are viewing this thread