TEKSID block swap...

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Not true.

The cast iron 03/04 Romeo is by far the strongest block with the teksid being close behind. We too have made over 2000HP (2109 to the flywheel to be exact) Johns block is fully filled and all water jackets on the deck surface have been welded closed. Yes, the teksid can be made to hold a ton of power but when comparing stock blocks the 03/04 Cobra Romeo is still the strongest- not our opinion -fact.

I wasnt arguing iron vs aluminum. Read my post again. The teksid is the strongest aluminum block you can find for a 4.6 DOHC Ford engine.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
How does the Aluminator block compare to the Teksid?

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
A few other items needed for the swap. You you need 2 guide pins that bolt into the teksid block if you are using the 03/04 chains and guides. The gasket between the block and the oil filter adapter, the 03/04 cobra one has a light blue silicone gasket and the one for the teksid needs to be orange. The backside of the water pump nipple on the cobra needs to be changed over to the teksid. The teksid is just a hose clamp and the 03/04 cobra is a metal tube that is installed over either 1 or 2 O-rings.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
A few other items needed for the swap. You you need 2 guide pins that bolt into the teksid block if you are using the 03/04 chains and guides. The gasket between the block and the oil filter adapter, the 03/04 cobra one has a light blue silicone gasket and the one for the teksid needs to be orange. The backside of the water pump nipple on the cobra needs to be changed over to the teksid. The teksid is just a hose clamp and the 03/04 cobra is a metal tube that is installed over either 1 or 2 O-rings.

Are these parts difficult to get a hold of or expensive. I may buy a teksid block and am trying to learn about them on the fly. Is it even worth the swap? I plan on making 900rwhp when it is all said and done but do not want to pull the engine twice to do so..

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
im sortive wanting to build a spare motor for my car also, and was looking into the teksid blocks, how hard are they to come by and do any of you all know were one is for sale now? Ill even take a 03 cobra block if available. Thanks

Brutal Metal

Established Member
A teksid without being block filled will handle roughly 1200RWHP before cylinder distortion sets in, a 03/04 Iron Cobra block will see more than 1400RWHP before any measurable distortion is seen. So to answer your question the 03/04 block is stronger but at a weight disadvantage.

Please let us know how we can help!

MMR

MMR%20Opener.jpg
MMR do the Teksids need to be re-sleeved too when exceeding 1000HP?

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
Hey sorry to bring up the dead here but ive got a few ?s ive not found search results for:
Differences on 03-04 cobra blocks-teksid blocks:
1.Something about coolant stacks on back.... has anyone encountered this, what needs to be done to fix this?
2.Obviously the coolant tube outlet from water pump needs to be changed, do you just pop the old one out or?
3. Any other PROFOUND modifications needed to attach my hardware to this block from an 03 cobra?

I already know of : Dowels for chain guides, hole on timing cover, bearings need to be ordered for a 99/01 cobra (this is assuming bearings for the 99/01 cobras bearings are the same as the Mark VIIIs main bearings)

If anyone wants to give me some input on those things.... PLEASE DO SO

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

Blue gasket: M-6881-A5

Ford Racing Performance Parts

Orange gasket: M-6881-C

Ford Racing Performance Parts

Also, if you use the Eaton supercharger, you have to grind down some of the knock sensor bosses in the lifter valley so the lower intake fits.

ALL 99's had Teksids as well as some 01's before the WAP was used..

Not necessarily true. The '96-'98 block is the Teksid. In '99, the WAP blocks came in to play. Fortunately for some, the Teksid blocks did end up in some '99's and even a few '01's.

The latest Aluminator block is just the '05-up 3V/4V 4.6 WAP block, so it seems to be pretty decent!

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Also, you'll have to remove the knock sensors in the valley..and grind them and the bosses down to get the 03/04 lower intake manifold to fit.

To note as well...John Mihovetz has gone 6.18@232 w/ the STOCK crankshaft, block, and B-Heads

However like mentioned..they have all been reworked..but still an outstanding task. Those were the best parts Ford ever put in a Mustang.

Best wishes on your build.

Users who are viewing this thread