Termy has bad Cylinder #6 - Options?

SuperG

Established Member
I took the Terminator to a nearby shop in hopes these guys could find out exactly what the problem was and they determined the #6 cylinder wasn't holding any compression, most likely due to a head problem...so when we took the valve cover off, this is what we found sitting all by its lonesome:

2183045_59_full.jpg

I believe that's called a roller cam follower and apparently this is not an unheard of ocurrence! Anyway, we installed a new one and should have everything back together Monday...hopefully that was the only problem!!

The good news is that for 80k miles, the parts underneath the valve cover looked to be in pretty good shape...

forcefedcobra

Established Member
hope it all works out. I dont think mine is going to be that lucky so a built shortblock is getting ready to be purchased.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
The cam follower just popped out!! WTF?? That's wierd!!! And if that's all it was did you ever luck out!!! But don't get too excited just yet. If the rocker just popped out with no other damage the valve would just remain closed and you wouldn't lose compression and it wouldn't show any leakage in a leakdown test. My guess is the valve seat sank and the valve bent causing the rocker to pop out.

LKGRenegade22

Established Member
Well, certainly my questions have gotten people thinking about their own possible situations...I am looking into what it costs to have the Terminator engine rebuilt, or the heads if that's the case. Then again...at 80k miles, perhaps it is time to have everything refreshed? On the other hand, how long is one of these engines good for (when tuned properly - as I doubt mine was)?

I'm wondering this exact thing myself. I am looking at picking up a Whippled 03 with 60K on it but all the parts were jus installed less than 1K ago....

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
If the rocker just popped out with no other damage the valve would just remain closed and you wouldn't lose compression
If the intake valve was not opening, there would be no air to compress so there would be no compression.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
probably follower is ok maybe a over rev or hyd adjuster stuck. I'd replace adj. if no other issues found if u didn't over rev. What oil weight u using? Go no heavier than 10/30w. Oil won't drain too well either if too thick out of heads. Same w changing oil, gets old gets thick, bad news on a 4v.

SuperG

Established Member
On closer inspection, we found no other damage, so I may have lucked out...we should see today as the car is nearly put back together.

Regarding the oil, I have 10/30W Royal Purple in her and it still looks good! I should have taken pics underneath the valve cover...what a purty sight!

When it goes out for the road test, I'll update...and BTW, I found some other '03 owners who have had the same thing happen...so although not a common ocurrence, not out of the ordinary either...

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
If the intake valve was not opening, there would be no air to compress so there would be no compression.

Not so fast there Scooter... If he had a 2V GT then that would be true, but his is a 4V engine which means there is still another functioning valve on that cylinder to let the air in on the intake stroke. I'm still hoping the best for you SuperG. Not trying to be a Capt. Bringdown, but you need to expect the worst and hope for the best.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
that sucks man. Well atleast it is minor stuff now. I still have the big task of putting a new motor in mine.

Users who are viewing this thread