Test Drive Accident

TheFranchise

Established Member
I was test driving a used car on Thursday. The salesman sent me off by myself. Didn't copy my license or anything - just said 'Don't worry about it.'

So I go for a drive around the block and as I am coming back to the dealership I get in my right lane. Properly signal, slow down and just as I turn my wheel the guy behind me rear-ends me going approx. 40mph. Dead squar in the back of the car. It pushed me up into the parking lot of the dealership and spun me around. Everybody was ok.

The salesman comes running up to me and without even asking if I was ok, he says 'If anybody asks, I was in the car with you.'

The police come to the scene and nobody ever asked me who was in the car. The only thing I got asked was 'Were you the driver?'. Yes.

I am thinking about calling this dealership and reporting this guy.

Oh yeah, the car I was test driving, is supposedly totaled -- so the dealership will probably come out with a couple $$ grand in their pockets.

Anything I can do?

usaf_eagle

Established Member
Be the reason this guy loses his job because he put trust in one of his customers to take it around the block?!? i wouldn't do it.. just an unfortunate accident.. he shouldnt lose his job over it but thats up you

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Sue the hell out of the driver who hit you...Who cares what car you were driving.

^^^^^
Yeah thats the answer...Lets sue.......:loser:

People gotta stop being sue happy.. Dont listen to the post who told you to sue...

I would just leave it alone.....let the guy keep his job and go to another dealer and find the car that you want..

TheFranchise

Established Member
I don't want the guy to lose his job.

ecoastkid... I don't really know about suing the guy. I don't want to. It was an accident. Also, I wasn't really injured except for Cervical Strain Whiplash. Don't get me wrong, I am sore but nothing broken.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
IF they don't ask about the salesmen not being in the car, don't tell. As long as you are not on the hook for the totaled unit then why should he lose his job? The dealership has insurance and if the other driver was at fault then you shouldn't be affected by it what so ever.

I'm not defending him at all. I hate most of the car salesmen that I have worked with.

ecoastkid

Established Member
^^^^^
Yeah thats the answer...Lets sue.......:loser:

People gotta stop being sue happy.. Dont listen to the post who told you to sue...

I would just leave it alone.....let the guy keep his job and go to another dealer and find the car that you want..

I wasnt very clear...

I've never sued anyone in my life...Including the guy that hit my wife head on (With my 5 mth old in the car) and shattered her leg. But if he is looking to go after someone for something that would be it. Not the sales guy...

I wouldn't run around looking to tell anyone he was in the car. But I would tell the cop if I was asked.

Last edited:

boosted635

Established Member
IMO...
If the salesman was supposed to be in the car... he should have been in the car. Not your fault if he loses his job at that point.
Not like cars are flying off the lot nowdays, he was probably being lazy and going against the dealers policy.

What happens if you lie, say he was in the car and then he turns witness that YOU caused the accident to try to save his job... now YOUR F'ed!

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Established Member
Cody, If asked I always report the truth and I would do the same here. No matter what he asks, if the question arises during the invesitgation, then of course tell the truth.

However, I do not know why you are trying to go after or get something done to the salesman. Where is this accident his fault? The accident has not one thing to do with him, whether he was in the car or not, he was not driving, and it was another guy/car that hit you.

The only time I would ever even try to sue if I was out money somehow, ei: hopsital bills or time off work. And then I would only try to regain my lost funds. I completely 100% agree people are way to sue happy and . . . oh I'm not even getting started. FFS

LS1-Larry

Established Member
Mna Have a heart dont get the guy fired behind this............if he is truely a f%#K up then he will gte busted sooner or later..........I say get at the insurance company of the person who rearended you and get something for the pain and suffering.......even though it is minimal........still enough for missed wages ect.
Hell use it for a down payment!
John

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I was test driving a used car on Thursday. The salesman sent me off by myself. Didn't copy my license or anything - just said 'Don't worry about it.'

So I go for a drive around the block and as I am coming back to the dealership I get in my right lane. Properly signal, slow down and just as I turn my wheel the guy behind me rear-ends me going approx. 40mph. Dead squar in the back of the car. It pushed me up into the parking lot of the dealership and spun me around. Everybody was ok.

The salesman comes running up to me and without even asking if I was ok, he says 'If anybody asks, I was in the car with you.'

The police come to the scene and nobody ever asked me who was in the car. The only thing I got asked was 'Were you the driver?'. Yes.

I am thinking about calling this dealership and reporting this guy.

Oh yeah, the car I was test driving, is supposedly totaled -- so the dealership will probably come out with a couple $$ grand in their pockets.

Anything I can do?

i am pretty sure that it sounds like you broke your insurance bone, better get it checked out, if your able to move your neck and all.

kssmysvt

Established Member
Tell the truth...the truth will set you free...

Tell that to my wife, every time I tell the truth I get in trouble.:shrug:

Whats calling the dealership gonna do, the guy riding with you wouldnt prevent the accident. Why make a big stink because the guy did a good thing. I wish dealerships around here let me test drive by my self so I dont have to hear "slow down" before I even hit the posted speed limit. If you are mad about something take it out with the guy who hit you....imho.
Glad to hear you are ok.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
The dealers insurance coverage only applies IF a dealer employee was in the car with you at the time of the roadtest. Thats why he said "say that I was in the car with you". Loop hole for the insurance company to tell the dealer to pound sand. You could sue the dealer and wait to let it all get worked out over a long ass period of time or just keep your mouth shut unless asked directly if the salesman was in the car at the time of the collision. There insurance company will go after the other driver so why make more waves?

If he's injured then yes, by all means sue the drivers insurance company.

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
To be honest about it, I would only tell divulge the whole truth if either sides were going to ask. Other wise keep you mouth shut and walk away. Knowing me though, I would Blab my head off and get the guy fired.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
The dealers insurance coverage only applies IF a dealer employee was in the car with you at the time of the roadtest. Thats why he said "say that I was in the car with you". Loop hole for the insurance company to tell the dealer to pound sand. You could sue the dealer and wait to let it all get worked out over a long ass period of time or just keep your mouth shut unless asked directly if the salesman was in the car at the time of the collision. There insurance company will go after the other driver so why make more waves?

If he's injured then yes, by all means sue the drivers insurance company.

if they have state farm down even bother... its more trouble then its worth

Users who are viewing this thread