That's BRISK, Baby!

mnsmax

Established Member
Re: Plugs are in!

Originally posted by Mike_Hawk
w00t! Okay guys, I got my 2 sets of these plugs in today, from Strictly Performance. Pictures:

brisk1.jpg

brisk2.jpg

Unfortunately, these aren't going in until later for the Sept 11 dyno day, unless you guys want me to get the SOTP on the 2V now and dyno it Sept 11 anyways. That way the plugs won't be "new".

Ideas? Suggestions?

Everything is about BRISK GOR17LGS plugs, but what about hotter, something like GOR19LGS?

http://plugs.janmax.com/Identification.aspx

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
Re: Re: Plugs are in!

Originally posted by mnsmax
Everything is about BRISK GOR17LGS plugs, but what about hotter, something like GOR19LGS?

http://plugs.janmax.com/Identification.aspx

Put my plugs in yesterday. Plugs look the same box was black and orange not white and blue. Hmm I got mine from strictly too.

Car starts quicker - less crank time that's all I can tell SOTP is tough with such a powerful beast.

Dyno'ng on a Mustang Dyno at Amazon on Saturday 8/21 before some more mods but don't know what that will tell us. On a cool day at Laroccas I made 443 RWHP/ 473 RWTQ SAE.

Any idea what that would be on a Mustang Dyno or is that just impossible to tell for sure.

Changing from 2.93 to 2.8 and adding Amazon ported TB/Plenum

I will have a before and after on those but no gage of the benefit of the plug.

MY take from all the posts here and on modular is that they are better than stock and yield gains similar to the Denso's but don't need gapping and are cheaper I think ($89 otd).

Dan

bones

Established Member
I've got to fall on the side of the doubters for now. At least from the standpoint that you don't get nuthin for nuthin. If your power increases, something else has to give. And it's probably an increase in A/F ratio. Under WOT the computer is in open loop mode. So a set amount of fuel is injected at each RPM. There's no duty cycle adjustments to the injector pulses. If you don't change anything else (like timing) an increase in power has to come from more complete combustion of the fuel in the cylinder. If you burn more fuel for a given charge, it translates to a more lean condition according to the articles I've read. That's exactly what some of the Brisk test web sites show. They point out not only more power but increased efficiency, increased MPG and increased specific fuel comsumption. Notice they never show you A/F curves on their dyno runs either.

As far as those pictures of the spark radiating out 360 deg from the center electrode, I think that's pure BS. An electrical arc travels along the path of least resistance. It's highly unlikely that, given manufacturing tolerances of the plugs and minute differences in the dielectric strength of the air/fuel mixture surrounding the electrode that more than one arc can develop at exactly the same instant. What you're seeing is probably a time lapse photograph of many discharges over a short time period.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Here's the scenario:
My Denso IT20s had about 500 miles on them; so they are, practically, new. This morning, I replaced them with Brisk plugs.

My thoughts:
The car started easier; the idle and acceleration was a lot smoother than before. The car "seems" to make more power. However, only a dyno will prove or disprove this.

Furthermore, engine builders have known for years that indexing the plugs will produce more HP because this better exposes the spark to the incoming fuel. I surmise that the Brisk plugs are accomplishing the same with the "open" design.

ALA G8R

Banned
The spark always finds the single path of least resistance to ground. When that path is no longer of least resistance, the spark will find another one that is. The path of least resistance may or may not be best oriented to the incoming air/fuel mixture.

We did a very fair before (IT22) and after (Brisk) and found that the Brisk plug made absolutely no more power.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14475

The Brisk plugs did idle nicely and didn't show any spark blowout, but neither did the IT22's. My opinion is the the Brisk plugs are a good replacement, but the power gains from replacing a good functioning set of plugs is fiction.

It would be nice to see some additional dyno comparos.

Last edited:

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by ALA G8R
My opinion is the the Brisk plugs are a good replacement, but the power gains from replacing a good functioning set of plugs is fiction.

It would be nice to see some additional dyno comparos.

I agree an exhaustive evaluation is needed to be conclusive. I kept my Densos just in case. ;-)

LightningFast00

673/753 pump gas
Established Member
Now, do these come in different degree of cold and hot.... I assume there is no gapping, so how do they know which plug you need.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
There are two different plugs for how cold you want them. I beleive there will be a few people running them on the dyno within the next week, according to a few posts on modularfords. I was actually going to get these plugs, but im putting that on hold, until I see some proof.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Well I got mine in from strickly and they look just like the ones posted above. I didn't put them in for the track tonight but I will next time to see if I can see anyting on the track. Too far from a dyno.

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
QUOTE]Originally posted by STREETREBEL
SOMEBODY PLEASE DYNO THESE PLUGS!!!!!!!!!! [/QUOTE]
As promised the Dyno was done this morning.. Well kinda morning..
The results were a gain of 2 hp.. Now with that said.. The temp was about 10 degrees hotter by the time I ran the brisk plugs.. There was no noticeable change in A/F till 5500 RPM.. Where is went from off the chart to10.5 to 1 then dropped off the chart at 6000 rpm's.
I would say that the HP gains were about 5-6hp if the outside temp did not climb.

Looking at the chart, the Brisk did increase the HP over 5000 rpm's.

My car only has a SpinTech cat back. All other parts are stock.

So the peak #'s were
402.9/381.9 SAE 4th gear runs

I think that is pretty damn good for just the cat back and a bottled up intake.

I don't have a scanner so I can not post any pics. I can answer any questions though

Eric

Edit: I forgot that it gained 3 in TQ also.

Last edited:

SVT4ME

Established Member
Am still waiting for the definitive answer, well never get it. Very hard to really tell if I believe or not

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Well after everything ive read, it seems that they are worth it. To steady out the idle, it smooths out the rpm's quite a bit, and there are small gains. But no, they are not worth 20hp. Most I have seen so far is 10.

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
I don't get it. What is the big deal?

The Brisk plugs are a nice upgrade over stock but not worth upgrading from the equally pricey Iridiums to the Brisk.

I don't recall anyone ever claiming +10HP over Iridiums just over stock.

Users who are viewing this thread