• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

The 2019 Ford Edge ST | The First SUV from Ford Performance???

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by SID297, Jun 4, 2019.

1. kevinatfms

kevinatfms Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech Premium Member Established Member

I hope this is a total failure. The outgoing Sport name was fine as is. No need to dilute the ST brand by slapping some badges on an old Sport model and calling it "brand new".

If it really is slower than the outgoing Sport model then someone at Ford Performance needs to be fired.

Ford Performance ST model this is not.

CompOrangeCobra likes this.
  2. Talleywacker

Talleywacker Active Member Established Member

This reminds me of the SVT focus lol...

this is a whatever... ford does away with cars then tries to "spruce" up the suv lineup... cmon' now.

3. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

First, great review, Sid. We've got to get you onto TV. LOL. That said, the new ST, IMO, is a failure. With the industry focus switch from cars to SUVs, Crossovers and trucks, Ford had a great opportunity to make this ST a true performance SUV. One that would make a bold statement and capture our attention. One that the consumer would take very seriously. Unfortunately, Ford blew the opportunity and gave us a slightly warmed over Ford Edge Sport with ST badging. Performance purists will easily/quickly see that this is not even close to being a true ST performance vehicle.

This quote from your article really summarizes the new Edge ST IMO. "So I’ve told you a couple of times that I would expound on couple of issues in greater detail later. Well here’s where I’m going to tell you my problem with the Edge ST. To put it bluntly, it should not be wearing the ST badge. Mechanically, it’s about 95% the same as the previous Edge Sport. In fact, other than the ST badging, the seats are identical to the Sport. Probably the biggest change was the move to the 8-Speed automatic from the older 6-Speed auto. And as I’ve mentioned, that was not a positive. The increased level of torque management in the ST tuning actually results in it being slower than the old Sport model. That’s not exactly progress." Yeah, a warmed over Sport model that has less overall performance than the last Edge Sport. It would suck driving a Ford Performance ST model and get beat by a last gen Edge Sport.

I got to test drive an Edge ST a few months ago. At that time I was 90% certain that I was going to move from my 2016 Edge Sport into a new Edge ST. My test drive, however, was a huge disappointment. The ONLY thing I liked was the 8-speed transmission. Acceleration felt better, but I think that was because of the revised transmission and torque management since I didn't do a WOT run to redline. Low and mid range acceleration "felt" better, although in reality, performance was down a tad from the previous Sport model. Handling, even in Sport mode, didn't feel much different from my 2016 Edge Sport. Nor did braking.

My second biggest disappointment was the interior, which hasn't changed very much. Discounting the new shifter rotatory knob (some will like it, others will hate it), the interior is pretty much the same as the old Edge. Which means while the seats LOOK nice (and sporty), they're way too soft with pretty much zero side support. On long trips, they're actually uncomfortable due to being so soft. My wife hates my Edge Sport seats. Lastly, I'm not a fan of the ST wheels. IMO the last gen optional black Sport wheels look so much better.

My ST test drive quickly convinced me that the new Edge ST was NOT a vehicle that I was any longer interested in. Within weeks, I settled on my 2019 Genesis G-70 3.3T Sport. Which I'm thrilled with.

Sid, you mentioned the fuel cap housing being so large, and maybe done so for a future diesel application. Do you think that maybe it is that large to accommodate a future electric/hybrid Edge charging port? Ford already has an electric F-150 on the way, so it would make sense for an electric/hybrid Edge to be in the mix as well. Just a thought.

PhoenixM3 and shurur like this.
  4. cidsamuth

cidsamuth Active Member Established Member

So, hate to jump on the bandwagon, but this thing is disappointing. Really bubbly and boring looking.

And why would an Ecoboost V6 only be putting out 335 HP in 2020? The Taurus SHO V6 has been putting out 365 since 2010. My only guess there would be that Ford is holding back power to ensure the Explorer ST has more.

CompOrangeCobra, shurur and me32 like this.
  5. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

It's probably a couple of reasons. The first is Ford seems to lack confidence in the 8-Speed FWD transmission and drivetrain to hold significant power. The other is the choice to stick with the 1st gen 2.7L.

The fact that the Explorer will be using the 10R80 says a lot.

pdm, shurur, me32 and 1 other person like this.
  6. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Established Member

It looks nice. Was hopeing to see more out of this using the ST name. And i dont see why they choose the gen 1 2.7 unless they had a bunch still left over.

7. SVTdreamin04

SVTdreamin04 What's a "Termi"??? Premium Member Established Member

We own a 2016 Ford Edge Sport. I can tell you we didn't buy it for performance and handling. We bought it because I am tall and we have two kids in car seats. Where the Edge really shines is interior legroom room for tall people. I don't take the thing tracking and I really don't see where Ford thought people would flock to dealerships to buy the Edge ST to track it.

I don't get the Edge ST idea personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

Bingo! You hit it on the head!

The Edge provides enough to the consumer to keep it in the Ford lineup. The Sport model offered a more sporty appearance, nice black wheels and a slight bump in power/torque. It wasn't a performance SUV. It didn't pretend to be. I bought mine for the reason you gave. It offered nice room for tall people and 2-row seating. And it was comfortable. Like you, I just don't get the Edge ST idea. This is not a true ST. It's still more a Sport model. Ford should have stuck with the 'Sport' and added a couple of new Sport-only features with a modest power increase to maybe 350. JMO. The same with the upcoming Explorer ST if it is more of a warmed over Sport Explorer.

SVTdreamin04 likes this.
  9. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Well-Known Member Established Member

It's hard to believe that the "Market" has driven Ford to this but stuff maybe it has??:confused:

Is the Mustang gonna be the only "car" Ford offers anymore??:rolleyes:

me32 likes this.
  10. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

Mustang and Focus for now. Others may be added later.

11. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Well-Known Member Established Member

What about "Luxury Cars"...........NEVER AGAIN??:(

12. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Established Member

Fusion
    No more focus 2018 was the last production

13. hand-filer

hand-filer Active Member Established Member

I don't think the 10R80 was ever intended to be used in a transverse application. The 8F57 is working fine in my Nautilus.

I test drove the Edge ST hoping to trade in my 2016 Sorrento for one but the interior looked dated compared to the Sorento.
    I ended up ordering a nicely equipped 2.7 Reserve and am really impressed with it so far. It doesn't pretend to be something it isn't.

Here is a comparison chart of the difference in ratios between the 8F57 and the 6F55: 66c92701cf427a8a1f9a31b79a94b8d4.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

14. shurur

shurur Well-Known Member Established Member

Sounds like this thing is just a test bed for a crappy new transmission.

15. hand-filer

hand-filer Active Member Established Member

Like the Mustang was for the MT-82? I have a Nautilus with the 8F57 and a Mustang with a MT-82. They both work well for me.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

16. mustangc

mustangc Debt Free but the House!! Established Member

I think at the end there you answered your own question why “Sporty” Edges look less unique with each successive generation: Ford started investing their development dollars on performance rather than eye candy.

When the Edge Sport started out it was really just an appearance package with bigger wheels and tires and a retuned suspension to handle said unsprung weight. The first generation even kept the same 3.5 V6 so the “Sport” model was actually slower than the luxury models. The second generation Edge gave the “Sport” a unique 3.7 V6 from the Mustang that nearly made up for the huge 22” wheels, but still didn’t feel any sportier than the rest of the Edge Family at best.

The third generation Edge Sport arrived in 2015 and wow what a difference. The money now went into installing the hot 2.7 Twin Turbo Ecobooost V6 that Ford has developed to our muscle the 5.0 Coyote in the F150. The Edge Sport has finally stopped being an appearance Package and finally started to have some actual performance!

It’s sad to see that with the 2019 refresh and the name change to “ST” that the pendulum is starting to swing back the other way again. As the article states, the ST was more about marketing than performance, and in fact the new Edge is quite a bit slower than the 2015-2018 models.

I purchased a 2018 Edge Sport. I originally wanted a Fusion Sport or even a Lincoln MKZ with the 400ho 3.0 EB, but my wife needed something easier to get in and out of. I almost waited for the 2019 because I knew the ST was coming out, but I’m the end decided to pull the trigger on the 2018 Sport because the discounts were too good to pass up and the ST Price was going up to boot. Now that the ST is out and everyone is getting slower test results, I’m even more glad I made my decision.

17. kevinatfms

kevinatfms Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech Premium Member Established Member

The SVT Focus was an amazing little hatchback for the time. It wasnt a screamer but it had plenty of power/torque along with the suspension and chassis tuning of a true hot hatchback.

Drive one and you will see how enjoyable they are. Might not be ST quick or agile but at the time it held its own against some of the best cars in its price point.