The 25 Year Build - 1979 Cobra Content

dk5_cobra

Established Member
This won't be a build thread really, just kind of a show-off of my recently (almost) completed 1979 Cobra Mustang. To explain the title, its because my dad bought the car in 1985, and then parked it in a storage unit in 1990 as a bare shell in epoxy primer, when he ran out of money/time to paint it.

Finally in 2011, (I was 16 at the time) convinced him to bring the car home so we could rebuild the engine and finish the project. The plan was to get it running, and then remove the drivetrain, paint it, and put it back together. Once it was running again, life got in the way of the car and not much got done until 2014 when I had a better paying job. From here the project spiraled into a built IRS swap, MM k-member, and a partially shaved engine bay.

I got the car back from the body shop in April and spent the last few months getting it assembled and on the road. If you're curious about more details on the car this is my main build thread that I put a bunch of info about the IRS in among other things during the restoration (feel free to pm me here about any questions you may have, I don't mind answering them)

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?110121-my-79-cobra-build-thread

after reading all of that, (if I still have your attention) here's some completed shots and some that I haven't shared yet.

_MG_2550.jpg

c4b57ac0-a505-41e2-81ff-5bb8e616b159.jpg

9af0a594-8a55-4ac2-9fb5-8b0ef7e980fe.jpg

20160525_212712.jpg

20160611_164145.jpg

a1c97874-45e9-4256-96e6-7ecc0de503de.jpg

oldmodman

Established Member
25 years?

That is what I call sticking with a project. Now i don't feel as bad taking over ten years with some of mine. ;-)

Car looks fantastic too. :thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That snake graphic is sick! Love your car. It really came out so nice. Well worth the time it took to complete it. Enjoy! :)

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
wheel update: I took my 17x9 et26 svt wheels and milled 4mm of material off of the back pad to help them fit in the fenders better. This makes them et30 by the numbers. Just took 2 hours at my dad's cnc machine shop to write the program, generate code, and press the button. Program run time on each wheel was around 10 minutes once we got it all figured out.

That's the level of detail and dedication to a project that gets you recognized. I respect your efforts, the level of craftsmanship is so good, it's easy to miss because it just "looks right".

prs97

Established Member
Holey moley that graphic is about as 70s as it gets and I mean that in a good way.

Car looks great. A 25 year build is serious commitment. Time to drive the hell out of it now.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Yes please. It turned out awesome and i'm really digging the groovy hood graphic.

dk5_cobra

Established Member
thanks guys, this is what it looked like in 2011 when we pulled it out. I actually have pictures from the mid 90s of me learning to ride a bike in the driveway with this car in the background in the garage in a similar state. The learning curve was insane during the build but its nice to be able to look at the car and think "I can't believe I built this" Looking forward to finishing up a few small details and continuing to put miles on it

FB_IMG_1464748822290.jpg

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
I like that, but lose the wheels, IMO, they don't fit. Post more interior shots. Love the hood graphic.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Just finished going through your build thread and so much work and time went into it, but you can tell it was well worth it. I'm really digging it and hope to some day work on a similar project. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread