The boss is back : 6.2L Boss Engine Pics

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Whena cylinder gets to a certain size, you can pick up power and efficiency with two plugs per cylinder. Also gives you a bit of redundancy. Aircraft engines have very large bores, and utilize two plugs per cylinder for both reasons.

Jim Snover

are those motors going to be DI?

And someone explain to me the point of 2 spark plugs per cylinder

Dan Schoneck

Established Member
Don was the first guy that came to mind as he is the only one running the engine and running that number, don't know of anyone else that Ford would have released the engine too.

I would be Curious to see who's motor this is? I know its not Don Bowles unless its roush's shop in back ground which i doubt. The fastest Don went was 9.0's i believe with that combo and a stick. Btw Don bought all his stuff from ford (enough parts to build 5 motors) and some of you would fall out of your chairs if i told you the price he told me. I am sceptical unless proven other wise that this motor went 8.50's, It is a test mule motor though because of the writing on the block, I am 90% possitive that the production blocks do not say "the boss it back".

Also as soon as i can get one i have a Vista Blue Gt500 shell waiting for a install.

Later Dan

Also the 6.2 Does not share anyparts except maybe the waterpump with the other mod family. Heads r not interchangable from a 4.6 or 5.4 PERIOD. Also as good as the heads are there is not a need for a dohc 6.2 head. Just would be more cost in the build.

silverbullittgt

The DEep SoUth
Established Member
is it an aluminum block with aluminum heads?
this says the production block will be cast iron:
Key features of the new 6.2-liter V-8 gasoline engine include:

• Cast-iron engine block and four-bolt main bearing caps, with cross bolts, for durability
• Aluminum cylinder heads, with two valves per cylinder and two spark plugs per cylinder
• Cast-iron crankshaft, with dual-mode damper
• Forged steel connecting rods
• Cast-aluminum pistons, with cooling jets
• Single overhead camshaft with variable valve timing and roller-rocker shaft valvetrain
• Magnesium cam covers for lighter weight
• Stamped-steel oil pan
• Composite intake manifold
• Stainless-steel fuel rail; port-fuel-injected; mechanical returnless fuel system
• 9.8:1 compression ratio
• E85/flex fuel capable

Source in APA format

Turner, S. (October 9, 2009) An all-new 6.2-liter V-8 gasoline engine. 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords Magazine.
Retrieved October 29, 2009 from An all-new 6.2-liter V-8 gasoline engine | Miscellaneous Blog & Discussions at 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords Magazine

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Here's the Hemi head for comparison.

2i0f6m0.jpg

Guido 04

Banned
so the block doesn't have the same bore spacing or dimensions as the 5.4 or 4.6? you can't just throw on 4 valve heads?

nope. that was one of the main downfalls with the modular motors. you couldn't bore them w/o decreasing cyl wall strength. Can't wait for some 7 liter OHC fords :)

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
right on, i love it. If remember correctley the ford gt supercar 5.4 also uses 2 spark plugs per cylinder.

svtvtx

Established Member
Well the hemi design was junk for anything but racing. It had no quench area or squish area, which you will never see again.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
6.2l, capable of being bored/stroked to 7.5l(427 what?)
SOHC
aluminum heads, iron block
direct injection capable

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
It's about time Ford got into the big smallblock game. :beer:

Mopar did it right from the beginning, tall deck, raised cam, you can get 500+ci with the right setup. :bowdown:

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
I would be Curious to see who's motor this is? I know its not Don Bowles unless its roush's shop in back ground which i doubt. The fastest Don went was 9.0's i believe with that combo and a stick. Btw Don bought all his stuff from ford (enough parts to build 5 motors) and some of you would fall out of your chairs if i told you the price he told me. I am sceptical unless proven other wise that this motor went 8.50's, It is a test mule motor though because of the writing on the block, I am 90% possitive that the production blocks do not say "the boss it back".

Also as soon as i can get one i have a Vista Blue Gt500 shell waiting for a install.

Later Dan

Also the 6.2 Does not share anyparts except maybe the waterpump with the other mod family. Heads r not interchangable from a 4.6 or 5.4 PERIOD. Also as good as the heads are there is not a need for a dohc 6.2 head. Just would be more cost in the build.

This i cant say but you will probably see stuff about it in the near future

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What a monster motor. Kudos to Ford for developing it. Yep, the BOSS is definitely back! And back with a vengeance! :beer: :rockon:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
You are thinking they would knock each other out like in a forest fire? The environment in a combustion chamber during combustion is completely different. For one thing the pressure is way above atmospheric. For another, there is no fuel to be found once the induction cycle is over, or oxygen. What is in there is all of it. And the fuel air mix is not static, it is swirling like mad thanks to modern designs so you don't have something like two masses of air hitting each other. Then there is the fine atomization and distribution of fuel throughout the chamber that modern fuel injection systems can provide.

When it lights under those conditions, colliding flame fronts knocking each other out is not a problem.

Jim Snover

dont the flame fronts collide?

Users who are viewing this thread