The cold is coming, is your intercooler ready?

Steve@Tasca

Time once again for my warning about frozen intercoolers for you "warm weather" guys, due to unusually cold temps across the country any of you running plain water or water wetter need to either drain them, find warm storage or get a 50/50 antifreeze mix in your systems before you end up with a cracked intercooler.

Happens every time we have these cold snaps.

weather_zps258b8f2d.jpg

Zemedici

Established Member
Good call Steve :beer: Just replaced mine with an upgraded LFP unit, and made sure to run 50/50. Dont want to do that job again. Wasnt bad, 90 minutes from start to finish with me and 2 buddies, but dont really want to do it again.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Newb question, but is there any quick or easy way to tell what I have in there now? I've never had a problem but I'm curious.

Color of the fluid should be a big indicator, is it green or gold? If so, your likely good.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Newb question, but is there any quick or easy way to tell what I have in there now? I've never had a problem but I'm curious.

They also sell a little meter for a few bucks. You suck some fluid up and there's little floats that show the concentration.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
They also sell a little meter for a few bucks. You suck some fluid up and there's little floats that show the concentration.

Its called a hydrometer. They cost about $10 at your local parts chain in the tools aisle. Great thing to have in the tool box for situations like this.

xenodragon

Established Member
Time once again for my warning about frozen intercoolers for you "warm weather" guys, due to unusually cold temps across the country any of you running plain water or water wetter need to either drain them, find warm storage or get a 50/50 antifreeze mix in your systems before you end up with a cracked intercooler.

Happens every time we have these cold snaps.

weather_zps258b8f2d.jpg

Coming? You realize its 10 degrees today right :)

Users who are viewing this thread