The Current Cobra Market

mikes03cobra

Established Member
These COBRAS are great cars . In 1972 i purchased a 67 chevelle SS396 46k miles for 1000 bucks Even with the economy i wish i had the first one. I own a diffferent one now. Which makes me very protective of my one owner 03 cobra that is worth more to me than anyone else:idea:

dom418

Established Member
I love these threads as everyone is an expert on the Cobra market(present and future). I paid 30K for my bone stock (down to the filter) 04 blk coupe 2 years ago with 4K miles and today it has 5,700 miles. Now when I was looking I wanted a car with no mods and was willing to pay since I was going to keep the car for a long time and they aren't the easiest to find like this. I wouldn't sell it today for low to mid 20's just because people on this board say so. I disagree about the age of these cars impacting their value because as each year goes by, it is harder to find mint terminators. I have said it over and over again, I think we can look to the 93 Cobra market for reference. Guys are asking high teens for mint Cobras. Now are they crazy seeing as their cars are now 17 years old? I don't think so because they are becoming harder to find.

A lot of guys get upset with some of the asking prices on this forum but they are high everywhere(autotrader, etc) My opinon is if you don't like the prices then buy another type of car because I don't think many of us are going to drop the bottom out of our pricing.

As for the Shelby market, who cares, that is a different car all together. They made a ton of them and are still doing so. If you want a Shelby buy one but for me I like the style of my Terminator and that is why I bought one over a Shelby. I think too many people on this board cry over asking prices, I guess I would be too if wanted one so bad but thought prices were too high. Most guys aren't desperate to sell so they will have to sit on their cars for a while. Who knows, I know I love my car no matter how old, outdated and overpriced it is. I sleep good at night and to ME that is all that matters.

CivicBeater

Established Member
I love these threads as everyone is an expert on the Cobra market(present and future). I paid 30K for my bone stock (down to the filter) 04 blk coupe 2 years ago with 4K miles and today it has 5,700 miles. Now when I was looking I wanted a car with no mods and was willing to pay since I was going to keep the car for a long time and they aren't the easiest to find like this. I wouldn't sell it today for low to mid 20's just because people on this board say so. I disagree about the age of these cars impacting their value because as each year goes by, it is harder to find mint terminators. I have said it over and over again, I think we can look to the 93 Cobra market for reference. Guys are asking high teens for mint Cobras. Now are they crazy seeing as their cars are now 17 years old? I don't think so because they are becoming harder to find.

A lot of guys get upset with some of the asking prices on this forum but they are high everywhere(autotrader, etc) My opinon is if you don't like the prices then buy another type of car because I don't think many of us are going to drop the bottom out of our pricing.

As for the Shelby market, who cares, that is a different car all together. They made a ton of them and are still doing so. If you want a Shelby buy one but for me I like the style of my Terminator and that is why I bought one over a Shelby. I think too many people on this board cry over asking prices, I guess I would be too if wanted one so bad but thought prices were too high. Most guys aren't desperate to sell so they will have to sit on their cars for a while. Who knows, I know I love my car no matter how old, outdated and overpriced it is. I sleep good at night and to ME that is all that matters.

Thank you for your post. Couldn't agree more. Cheers :beer:

sonicblew

Established Member
this june will be four years ago that i bought my 30k mi lightly modded sonicblue 03 for $25k and i still see them for only a few thousand under that now. i dont think the market has changed too much at all to be honest. if i bought that same car in the same condition today i bet someone would ask $22-24k and its now 2010 i bought it in 2006! i think that these cars are still the best bang for the buck. however many cars now are not in the same condition as they were in 06' when i was shopping. so many have been abused and disassembled and reassembled it really is a turn off for me as a buyer. i guess in the end its just what people want to pay but i did see a 07 shelby with 30k~miles on here for 31k so i really think that those deals and the bank loan issue will give these a good push down soon.

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
I believe low mile terminators should hold value in the mid 20's for the reason being that a new Mustang GT still costs more than a low mileage Cobra, and if you ask me, I'd rather have the Terminator...JMO

wan2play

Established Member
It relative to other cars too. The Cobra drop in market value pushes down the Saleen prices. Likewise, the GT500s have come down in price and push the Cobra prices down.

Yes, that it typical with most cars. New models push down the value of older. However, the 03 Cobra is the most desired and probably the number 1 muscle car of our time. The prices will never fall too low. The car will probably end up like the Supra did.

wan2play

Established Member
I had an 03 silver 19k kb and all the mods and I couldnt even get 20 for it and it was perfect these cars are only worth what people want to pay manheim auction report shows these cars with 20k miles for around 13 to 14,000 would be nice to be a dealer the big thing is location here in Iowa they are hard to find so they bring alittle more but down south there every where so they get cheaper from the auction report anyway just my 2 cents.

Ya, and a 04 With 37k on the clock got 21000 at mannhiem. 4 Months ago a 03 with 27k on the clock sold for 19500.

2/03/09 CHICAGO Lease $21,000 37,979 Above BLACK 8G 6 Yes

These cars weren't selling because it was winter time. Spring is coming up and prices are going to go up with it.

Marc

Established Member
I bought my 04 CO Cobra about 4 years back for $29,500. It was slightly modded, but immaculate inside and out. The guy I bought it from was anal about the car in every sense of the word. This was what I was looking for. I owned it for a year and then got this assignment to Japan. It has been sitting in Gov't storage (climate control facility) for the past 3 years with another year and a half to go. It has 17K miles on the clock and in mid 2011, 17K miles as it will been in storage.

I am purchasing parts right now to do a 2.8 KB Mammoth build. It sucks, my complete build will run me probably near $8K. I know I am dumping all this money in the car which will probably devalue it even more. But, at least I know what has been done to the car. It will be a show car and one that might see the track once in a while. I am building it with the best parts available.

It sucks as I know if I ever decide to sell it, I KNOW I will lose a chit-load of money on it. But, I accept that, its not a investment but a toy. I honestly don't see me selling the car...not for many, many years.

But, I do agree, prices have dropped. I am going to dump $8K into a car that I know I could buy the same car for probably $23-$25K...maybe with just a few thousand more miles.

InKogNigRow

Established Member
a 2003 Cobra is now 7 years old. and Most of them hit the lot late 2002..

I bought my low mile 600 rwhp K.B Cobra.. with 1000's in Mods in 2007 for 28K off this Board.

Melted down the Engine Before putting on 2000 miles. Paid $6,200 To Have a Better Engine Built and tuned for 23 +psi.

Sold the Car for 24.5k to a Board member in 2008..

Its 2010 now and seeing car's that are sold elsewhere ( not on SVTP ) from 16-19k..

Most of the board car's are still around 20-25k.

Cobra owners are what is keeping the valuable.. not KBB.

Banks will not loan out 25,000 dollars for a 2003 Cobra anymore..

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
OP, you may want to edit your ABB value chart to include the 10th cars. Even though, some may argue that they don't have more value, I would still place them in the same value bracket as a Mystichrome because they are limited in production (only 2003 total), and have features that standard Cobras do not (mainly interior changes). A lot of good dialog, and opinions in this thread so far. Hopefully it stays on track, and doesn't escalate into a SD thread!

Personally, I think that the falling prices of the GT500's affect our cars a lot, but keep in mind, that the cheapest '07 GT500's are still $10k more than an average Cobra, and that is a large chunk of change for most people. The big advantage for them, is mainly that banks will still finance them, because they are newer. As others have mentioned, these cars will likely go the way of the '93 Cobra, Supra, etc., and only drop so far, before jumping back up as they become more rare - especially for well kept, low mileage examples.

spincobra03

Established Member

Who's saying their experts?? No one is here saying their experts bro. Again ill reitterate, this is all OPINION. Now because I have been in the market, I think I have seen what people are ASKING FOR and what they are actually SELLING FOR. I promise you, if you tryed to sell your car today, you wouldnt get anywhere near 30k for your car, not that its not sweet or anything, its just the way it is right now. Maybe that will change but who knows. Thats not to say some rich guy with cash says I have to have your car and gives you 30 for it. But that wouldnt be the norm. I think the numbers apicia are throwing out are just a reasonable, everyday, general numbers. I dont have to look for another type of car, I like this one. My frustration only comes from people that think its still 2004. Again if someone asks about price, ill give my 2 cents, im definetly not one to complain about someones asking price inside of their thread (im sure I disagree with it, but I keep it to myself). If they want a second opinion on their price because it has been sitting for sale for 2 months, then ill chime in.
Remember, this is all in fun and why we spend this much time and money, because we all enjoy mustangs, no hard feelings to anyone. Ask any price you want....... :shrug:

Last edited:

spincobra03

Established Member
OP, you may want to edit your ABB value chart to include the 10th cars. Even though, some may argue that they don't have more value, I would still place them in the same value bracket as a Mystichrome because they are limited in production (only 2003 total), and have features that standard Cobras do not (mainly interior changes). A lot of good dialog, and opinions in this thread so far. Hopefully it stays on track, and doesn't escalate into a SD thread!

Personally, I think that the falling prices of the GT500's affect our cars a lot, but keep in mind, that the cheapest '07 GT500's are still $10k more than an average Cobra, and that is a large chunk of change for most people. The big advantage for them, is mainly that banks will still finance them, because they are newer. As others have mentioned, these cars will likely go the way of the '93 Cobra, Supra, etc., and only drop so far, before jumping back up as they become more rare - especially for well kept, low mileage examples.

I can agree with the second paragraph :beer:
I dont think 10th however have more value, but again its just one guy opinion. And im not being a smart ass because I really dont know the answer to this....What was the base price of an 03 opposed to an 03 10th?? Ive always thought they were the same? maybe someone knows

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
What was the base price of an 03 opposed to an 03 10th?? Ive always thought they were the same? maybe someone knows

I believe the 10th package was about 2k more. My 10th TR vert stickered for 40,xxx. Vert + 10th package got it above 40! w00t

black 10th vert

Established Member
I believe the 10th package was about 2k more. My 10th TR vert stickered for 40,xxx. Vert + 10th package got it above 40! w00t

Yep, you are absolutely correct - I have my original window sticker right here in front of me. Total MSRP - $40,900.00!;-)

spincobra03

Established Member
Yep, you are absolutely correct - I have my original window sticker right here in front of me. Total MSRP - $40,900.00!;-)

Fair enough :beer:
I find it funny though how ford charges 2k more for different rims(which arent as nice as the 5 spoke chrome IMO) red inserts in the seats (which I like but not as much as charcoal or grey) and red inserts on the doors?? They find any reason to charge more money, when in reality, that car didnt really cost them any more to produce.
In any event it is what it is and I can understand why you feel it should be worth a little bit more closer to the mystic package.

nopropslaw

Established Member
10ths also had carbon fiber trim on several pieces inside the car and the painted calipers.

I don't think a 10th is mystichrome rare, but I would put it just below a comp orange, above a sonic blue.

HELLFYR

Back in the game
Established Member
You are dealing in a "desire" market as opposed to a necessity market with these cars. In such a market the cars are worth whatever someone will pay for them.

Like the nut-jobs trying to get $140k for a Supersnake, or the equally crazy guy selling his terminator for $16k because he has no patience to wait for a buyer.

Every car has a buyer, if you can afford to wait, do so.

Users who are viewing this thread