The current market..

Jfoster

Established Member
I've been watching for a while, as 03-04 Terms have held heir value longer than most newer cars these days. I've been waiting for the cars to finally take a hit, which it looks like they are.

Based on ebay (where most desirable cars actually sell for more, as opposed to less), very few cars are actually selling at the higher price point. I think you have to be logged into ebay to see this but:
http://motors.search-completed.ebay...&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=2&fgtp=

That's a link to recent completed auctions - sold and unsold. You will notice that 99% of the cars either did not meet the reserve or received no bids at all - and the asking prices on some of those no-bid cars isn't even THAT high. The few that did sell and brought a good price were sub 1000 mile cars.

That said - I will likely be in the market soon (pending wife approval!) :) I'm going to be looking for a silver 04 - so please PM with your best price - or if you know of one off of this site that you could recommend.

Thanks guys
Jeff

im4darush

Established Member
I agree. Have been looking on ebay and am seeing the same thing. Most cars are moving in the low 20's. Those asking 25k and up do not sell, and most of the time, get no bids. Only exceptions are super low mile cars as you mentioned. And I believe ebay is a pretty good indicator on what the market is doing. I think that we have also seen the same thing on the boards here. There are many nice cars with prices like 26-27k that are not moving and have been for sale a long time. Most guys are offering under 25k and closer to 22k. Those that are selling cars out there and asking more, please dont flame me, I'm not taking away your right to ask what you like. This is just an observation on what I see in the market.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
It allso has to do with the rime of the year.....Its hard to put a big chunk of change into a car thats going to either sit in a garage or not get around to well in the bad weather (in most area's of the country) for the next 3 to 4 months...

I'm sure I could sell my Cobra if I lowered the price a little, but I'm in the situation where I don't "have" to sel it..so I can wait and if it sells cool, and if it doesn't then I get to kepp a killer car...

Jfoster

Established Member
That's true too, but the market was much stronger last year.

You are in the best position to sell a car if 1 - you dont HAVE to sell it and 2 - you don't mind keeping it :).... actually, I guess that puts you in the best position to keep a car, doesn't it? :)

Deanpug

Established Member
Good Observation! The time of year is definitely a factor, especially in the Northeast. I have been negotiating with the owner of this car,http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...93QQihZ010QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem, which is in your thread, and I am not having much luck. It only has 570 miles which is very attractive to me and he also has done some nice mods. Long tubes and exhuast, shifter, wheels and a couple others but I am not sure I want to pay 30,500 for it with all the extra's. I might and sell the 18's that are on it in the pic and put the stockers back on. Who knows.

vr4_007

Established Member
The same is goin on over at supraforums,.. Its weird though, after ever F7F movie we can usually muster out a couple mor G's but our market is starting to slow,.. maybe its cause winter, or the rumored MKV, idunno.

Hopefully I can get into a Cobra as well.

Jfoster

Established Member
Actually, I think this is the appropriate place for it. It's good information for buyers and sellers - maybe a little better for buyers. If someone has been sitting on a car for a while, I'm sure this is on-point.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Jfoster said:
That's true too, but the market was much stronger last year.

You are in the best position to sell a car if 1 - you dont HAVE to sell it and 2 - you don't mind keeping it :).... actually, I guess that puts you in the best position to keep a car, doesn't it? :)

LOL .. either way I guess .. that is the boat I am in :)

Crowley

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
Time of year is a big deal. Also, how many cars are avail. Years are sitting in and when people want bigger and better things or just something different, more come up for sale and the prices start to drop. In 4 years, people are going to laugh at the prices people paid for GT500's, and others will be pulling out their check books to buy the next generation Cobra or whatever they call it at whatever price dealerships are asking....

Jfoster

Established Member
Crowley - I love your car and it certainly seems to be worth the money. I'm just going to have to wait to find a deal though. You see, I cant convince myself to buy one at about the same price that I passed up a new one for. I'm dumb for not grabbing one at the $28,900 that the dealer wanted for them at the end of 04 MY.

skunk50

Established Member
i think Ebay is a bad indicator. because often, you have the owner of the car logging on with different names bidding on it or having their friends bidding on it to keep the price up. so when someone wins, it's still not sure that it was sold, thus throwing off the price.

and true, it's tough to sell a high HP RWD musclecar when it's about to snow. but if you want to sell it but don't have to yet....and hold onto it, it's still going to keep depreciating from now to April... and every new year that ticks over, makes the car 1 year older even though it's just 1 day passed new year.

also i think that one of the main factors for Cobras to drop in value is due to the many ticking motors taking a dump and most of the factory warranties have expired. you could be that lucky one ending up with one of these gems.

Greg@RET

Established Member
skunk50 said:
also i think that one of the main factors for Cobras to drop in value is due to the many ticking motors taking a dump and most of the factory warranties have expired. you could be that lucky one ending up with one of these gems.

Thats what a brand new built VT motor with 1K mi would be a great buy :-D
I have also noticed the prices on stock 03s have dropped alot....

mormonstang

Established Member
It's true though, about the market for these cars are going down. The owners on here will say different, because they don't want the resale value of their cars to go down, but the cars are now going to be 4-3 years old this upcoming year. Also, we have a totally new mustang, with a lot of new things. The 03-04 cobras are getting out dated, and everyone on here is hoping they are going to be the new supra, but they won't. In the next year they will go down a lot, because that is probably when the shelby's will go down in price as well.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
saw an 04 Redfire coupe for 31K at the dealer the other day...30k on the clock

next dealer down has on 03 10th vert for 33K 25K on the clock

I would be lucky to get 15K for my 01 if i tried to sell again

skunk50

Established Member
04 Cobras were going off the lot new for $27k after all the rebates & discounts.... this was in the 20902 zipcode and did include the employee/family discount though.

and not all Ford dealerships are SVT authorized. they have to pay extra for this. the ones asking ridiculous prices may not be SVT authorized and probably just got these Cobras from a trade-ins.

suprjagr

WHIPPLED 21LBS.
Established Member
I think guys on here are looking for that sweet deal that will never come around or when it comes around someone will snatch it up fast and you'll be hanging around still tire kicking...wasting time to look for that savings of $1k...if most of you are so tight with your funds, how do you expect to afford this car with all the maintenance, gas, mods, insurance, interest, depreciation and all the other #%$ that goes along with buying this kind of car? I can afford a $50k car, so I bought this car so that I can modify it and keep it running, which ironically in the end is similar to buying a $50k car. I have seen nothing but tire kickers and once in a while I see someone make a move and actually buy something...there are so many good deals on this forum and everyone is like can you send me pics? whats the lowest you will go? can you sell with the stock wheels? and then weeks will go by and that same car is sitting there and all these guys are writing on other threads saying the same $%#^...its ridiculous to see everyone trying to save pennies on a car that is going to bankrupt you when you get it...anyway, I can care less if I get stuck with my car, but selling a whippled cobra for $26k with 22k miles isn't enough of a discount for ya, then I don't know what is...to build this car in its current form from stock you will need nearly $20k...funny $%#& that's my twocents which isn't worth anything I know :)

Users who are viewing this thread